Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Bloody hell, looking at ECM and GFS FI we go from Beast to Bartlett in 48hours! Only the timescale is different.

However, I don't believe neither of them for a second.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Is it going anywhere before mid month ? And will it ever effectively get out of the COD ?  not seen anything convincing that it’s going to be relevant for a while yet .....

But does that matter, with nothing forcing the upstream of UK jet, I’m not sure we need help from the MJO for this to work out for UK cold scenario.  

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

But ecm op mild outlier at end AGAIN,just like gfs as well,seems to be every run at the moment,all models are struggling with the current set-up,so dont rule much colder runs soon...

GFS op at colder end...

8FAF8EF6-3FBC-4359-99C1-65D070DBCD82.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, snowbob said:

As a rule any model that produces snow south of the m4 is barking up the wrong tree

if a model is showing cold and snow less than 48 hrs in the middle of the British isles, then that is to be taken with a ton of salt

further north a pinch of salt 

hope that helps

GFS snow for Somerset this evening was spot on ??‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Bloody hell, looking at ECM and GFS FI we go from Beast to Bartlett in 48hours! Only the timescale is different.

However, I don't believe neither of them for a second.

Andy

Unfortunately, i do, coupled with what the UK Met Office have said lately, a relaxation of the cold looks likely now. Hopefully, it is just a  temporary thing before the -12  uppers are over all of us.  It will be a real kick in the teeth if this SSW does not deliver later on in January/ early February.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

spacer.pngECM 12 z ensemble mean

If we cant get some snow between the 4th and the 8th then God help our tiny island.

Very decent mean until 10th and then who knows ?

That plot is a kick in the nuts big time.  The whole suite heading upwards from day 8. Ops flip and flop at that range but to see a whole set of 50 members  heading up is telling...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

That plot is a kick in the nuts big time.  The whole suite heading upwards from day 8. Ops flip and flop at that range but to see a whole set of 50 members  heading up is telling...

Probably not, just the models flailing around pre SSW.  The only ru n I’ve looked at properly for the last two days is the ECM 12z mean and spread.  

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

We’ve seen entire ensembles flip at T96.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Probably not, just the models flailing around pre SSW.  The only ru n I’ve looked at properly for the last two days is the ECM 12z mean and spread.  

Mike, the U wind at 1hpa is already -27 m/s 

Above 50N it’s reversed down to 3hpa and at the pole it’s reversed down to 9 hpa. 

I’m still unsure how you think this might not happen at 10hpa/60N when it’s already happening ??

The models aren’t flailing pre SSW - they may be struggling to resolve the early hemispheric response as the flow reverses - is that what you’re getting at ??

• Like 3

Posted

A flattening of the pattern looks pretty likely as we head through next weekend,however....

I'm feeling hopeful I'm not going to be spending the last third of Jan chasing cold charts at 384 ! ( As i have done many many times during the last 16 years).

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
18 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

That plot is slightly devious lol...it looks like we are going mild....but with such a low starting point the mean only actually recovers to around -4C! (Still 2-3degrees below average).

No doubt a clear signal for an uptick in 850s towards day 10 but far from mild.

Hopefully some kind of battleground scenario will set up, high risk with boundary frontal snowfalls. I like them  

• Like 7

Posted

Im only an amateur here but some really need to wake up and remember years gone by.

BBC, met office and other cant even get the next 24 hours right so why the drama.

potential is there which is more than previous years so lets asses the charts overall daily rather than by the run/hour.

todays snow certainly proves this point! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

That plot is slightly devious lol...it looks like we are going mild....but with such a low starting point the mean only actually recovers to around -4C! (Still 2-3degrees below average).

No doubt a clear signal for an uptick in 850s towards day 10 but far from mild.

Hopefully some kind of battleground scenario will set up, high risk with boundary frontal snowfalls. I like them  

chris agree, not boring going out with a whimper

Posted
2 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Window

Window model during the day and lamp post model at night!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Icon at 120, ridge not as good into Greenland, cold uppers heading down from the north.

iconnh-0-120 (8).png

iconnh-1-120 (1).png

Ridge in Scandi more prevalent and further west. Trough is barely dropping down now wouldnt be surprised if we end up into a similar position we are now with a ridge toppling NE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.7a20917a5d2f4875cfc3bed3f4d3ef7c.png

Hard to imagine the pattern is going to flatten out in around 5 to 6 days  from this chart.

Beauty of a chart that!!

Yes but you know it might not dont you!? PS Had a lovely hour of heavy snow here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.7a20917a5d2f4875cfc3bed3f4d3ef7c.png

Hard to imagine the pattern is going to flatten out in around 5 to 6 days  from this chart.

Beauty of a chart that!!

I didn't realise the charts from this evening had a crystal ball 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1