Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
Just now, Day_9 said:

Cheers, where can we easily reference verification rates?

Verification stats are for the entire northern hemisphere.   What they won't tell you is how a model copes with the additional variables caused by a SSW event.  There's just not a huge amount of data on it.  For example the last one in 2018 caused the models a lot of problems and it took an number of days to settle down.  It's also worth bearing in mind that the models change overtime in terms of resolution and the base algorithms.  So what I'm saying is you won't gain much from looking at verification stats right now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
4 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

If only the GFS went further, this is a histroic easterly lining up.

image.thumb.png.7a2e9f34a7b6860b09d863f680ebe77d.pngimage.thumb.png.f8b8cccae939e5b8de7e30766adf3be7.png 

The sheer cold in europe would be record breaking one would think.

And maybe here if, as you say, it went further....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

COME ON!!!,...that's a 2010 chart right there.

gfsnh-0-348.thumb.png.eab3bbea11428821749d296a3a26cf82.pnggiphy.thumb.gif.303387119153a8d6a4c866da12e483ae.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Para about to deliver a screaming northerly..

12 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Huh? 

Low dropping through scandi... 

1810912633_gfsnh-0-312(2).thumb.png.ade99076c1074e57eed2ffdb2348d9f6.png

Jet recurving.. 

gfsnh-5-312.thumb.png.4c7f845cc13bc3049406725e9687b188.png

Definition of a 'blizzard' 

'a severe snowstorm with high winds' 

??? 

A classic blizzard is a prolonged spell of heavy snow in high winds, not streamers which can produce localized like blizzard conditions. There is a big difference, and I can tell you the chart that you posted would not produce a classic blizzard, localized blizzard like conditions yes. 

Now to get a proper classic blizzard typically a southerly jet component is needed to force moisture into the cold air & produce a strong pressure gradient. A la January 1963, March 2013. The 16th Dec 2010 describes well the set up you noted which would produce temporary blizzard conditions. Let me know if I've made it clear mate

archives-2010-12-16-18-0.png

archives-1963-1-19-0-0.png

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
14 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

If only the GFS went further, this is a histroic easterly lining up.

image.thumb.png.7a2e9f34a7b6860b09d863f680ebe77d.pngimage.thumb.png.f8b8cccae939e5b8de7e30766adf3be7.png 

The sheer cold in europe would be record breaking one would think.

Looks like we'll have time for a quick BBQ before it arrives

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

A classic blizzard is a prolonged spell of heavy snow in high winds, not streamers which can produce localized like blizzard conditions. There is a big difference, and I can tell you the chart that you posted would not produce a classic blizzard, localized blizzard like conditions yes. 

Now to get a proper classic blizzard typically a southerly jet component is needed to force into the cold air & produce a strong pressure gradient.

A blizzard is loosely defined as roughly 3 hours or longer period of snow where sustained winds exceed 35mph.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM individual ensembles: 

At D10, I would describe 22 out of 51 members as a return to average or above average temperatures. Lots of very cold runs still present.

At D15, I would describe 34 out of 51 as above average temperatures. 20-25 members show a long draw SWly.

If I had to make a forecast, I'd say the cold will stay probably at least 10 more days (and therefore the op run too quick), but mild air likely to win out between D10-D15

Let's see how the SSW affects the models in the next few days, and even more so, what upcoming cold spell will bring - I still believe chances of snow at some point(s) is very good for all.

So despite the imminent SSW the ECM ensembles suggest we’ll have mild weather between 12th and 17th Jan? It doesn’t make sense to me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

So despite the imminent SSW the ECM ensembles suggest we’ll have mild weather between 12th and 17th Jan? It doesn’t make sense to me. 

That is ten+days away,they would change accordingly as we nearer the time,do the ens factor in the SSW because they are lower resolution?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

Para clearly decides that the later stages of the run are not for mortal eyes. One can only imagine what it looks like.

image.thumb.png.dd24f1847db791e7cb438a7253f5a16f.png

The electric has already gone off !  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Seems like tonight could be the start of the fun and games with the models now taking on board the SSW. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

That is ten+days away,they would change accordingly as we nearer the time,do the ens factor in the SSW because they are lower resolution?

Yes they do but they may not make a great job of it. However, the gefs have looked remarkably like the gfs in the upper strat past couple days 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1