Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS lining it up here.

image.thumb.png.9add5c974029e191cac412cd147dc53c.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
7 minutes ago, Griff said:

What's the latest ao and nao? Must be looking more negative again rather than trending back up? 

12z EC keeps them both -ve in the means

ecmwf-ensemble-nhem-avg-ao-box-9934400.thumb.png.d2a08458384616e7379d3ae9561e777a.pngecmwf-ensemble-nhem-avg-nao-box-9934400.thumb.png.3f23ac0e28968dfed398e1160552fd06.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS pub run rubber stamping the high pressure next week and as I suggested before

in my view could ridge northwards  and make surprise charts pop up from no where.

As the ECM showed a day or so ago not convinced about next weeks temperatures 

in the south due to possible cold nights and frost also 850hpa temperatures would 

not be so crucial.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The GFS 18z has added so much more amplified ridging in the North Atlantic for next week - several more distinct ridges now - it really knocks down confidence in how much low pressure there will be attempting to push across the UK, against attempted high latitude but ridge involvement.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

GFS and GFS(P) and ECM showing nice HP slap bang in the middle of split vortex - in FI of course. Trends ...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

According to GFS 18z Op, in FI, the mother of all warm/cold battles coming up:

image.thumb.png.5717f45faa9397c70a73b7d2daece374.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS // T264 getting in on it ( and I thought it was more plausible in the early stages):

08EA64B7-AE46-4B2B-A730-8B332F2223F7.thumb.png.28dc45ce7010509831bae019595fc2e2.png

Only one way we are going from here, and that is cold. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think the GFS 18z will actually end up trumping it - spectacularly.

So close yet so far, a trigger would have brought in the 87 redux, nearly run of the century!!

image.thumb.png.362c1c0c00c577e2f63729910f9d0984.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Pub run OP FI heading toward the Holy Grail ... but hits the buffers just short of all the UK

A good way to finish off a few days of conflicting views, opitimism of the SSW downwelling to work in our favour against the SSW work against us with the rumours that the current SSW has hallmarks of past ones that induce SWlies. Will the La Nina / MJO override any attempt from downwelling to bring colder and blocked. Many questions that will be answered over coming days ... but we see hints and teases in the models of what may we maybe in store for ...

I think the models have a fair middle ground for these conflicting signals, which is an extensive ridge from the Azores covering much of western Europe. A slight omega component to it with the associated risks.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

18z GFS,the beast cometh........

gfs-1-306.thumb.png.352f25e99c65492e48732ff55d7dfbf0.png

Some deep cold air clipping into the E & SE for a 2-3 days is certainly possible with this pattern. The core of any cold will likely drop towards Greece though. Looking across the output tonight a UK high feels a good bet. Any heights look like they will be 'mid lat' at best rather than HLB. No real signal yet for stable heights to our north which would be needed for a full on beast. 

Certainly better than this time last year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 hours ago, PolarWarsaw said:

I can understand the disappointment with regards to what you had hoped would be the final outcome with this SSW mate, but otherwise please be absolutely nothing but positive. Anyone with the first clue on the weather knows you could line 1 million people up and ask them all to give an opinion on what is most likely to happen after an SSW happens and all of them would be varying levels of incorrect.

I think we should all just take a moment to sit back to reflect here and understand that the main art or the main aspect of an SSW is the original forecasting. I have to congratulate yourself @Scott Ingham @CreweCold @feb1991blizzard @chionomaniac amongst many others for a quite brilliant piece of forecasting, in terms of expecting and predicting an SSW to actually happen. Not only did virtually every professional on the net go for a mild, wet and Zonal driven winter with the Vortex covering the entire of Greenland for all of the winter but literally no models decided to even hint at an SSW until long after you guys first mentioned it. 

Not only did you all just say 'yes it could happen' - there was numerous examples of patterns and pre-cursory history that were demonstrated, well backed up and then have actually gone ahead. Some of these whilst people were still dusting the BBQ down in September! You all (and the others that I've forgotten and couldn't possibly list) have out-thought and out-performed models and companies worth hundreds of millions of pounds, if not billions - just by simple analysis and use of historic patterns 

Quite brilliant and we should all be thankful of having people with this calibre of ability and experience on our forum.

Regardless of whether some people can't decipher between use of the words 'can', 'might', or 'could' and may indeed send some criticism your way because it hasn't/won't lead to the next ice age, just ignore that. Some can't control their emotions even in the face of stark realistic facts. 

Well done!

Hi PW, thanks for the post- as @Catacol has said, very generous of you.

As I've said a couple of times, the signs were there back end of October and certainly through November. I remember Catacol and I having a discussion on the Russian blocking and noting how beneficial it would be for a SSW down the line.

• Like 4