Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Another stunning run, this time the Op comes up trumps.  The Control is showing good support at 174

image.thumb.png.284454cde20cd661df3a7f15e4daec29.pngimage.thumb.png.52ff0dc934f4c34a6b1fff1afefa3186.png   

The GFSP has *hopefully* gone off on one.  

image.thumb.png.3fd0d0d6771da6d2e92de11e671bb0e4.png

Whilst anything could happen at the moment, I doubt the Para has nailed it this time, it's just a mess.  Knowing our luck, it's got it spot on!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Really good 12zs so far apart from the crappy para which really is rubbish regardless of the upgrade on it!!no consistency what so ever!!!stick with the op is my advice and you wil save yourself from getting a lot of white hair!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

You can see the trough dropping down from the NW on the mean at 180☺️

gensnh-31-1-180.thumb.png.49d9fa36ffcb5ced6ba8e3cc4b5524c8.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
12 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The UKMO is awful to be honest - miles apart from the GFS!

image.thumb.png.fb3287995bd4638cc55cfa7410dccf3f.png

image.thumb.png.cd21065bd0ebf273add1e09a6d9e0f81.png

Could you please add a little meat to the bones for us?

Cheers

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Cloud 10 said:

GFS para.has gone from hero to zero

The GEM meanwhile ends up rather spiffing.

gemnh-0-240.thumb.png.ec99ef48af14a8d8ac1bf5aed129b7d6.png

Mutton dressed as lamb sadly . It looks great on a NH level but is akin to making a rubbish dinner out of 5 star ingredients . You need low pressure to the east or se , stuck over the UK isn’t good .

• Like 4

Posted

so latest gfs shows a very potently cold and snowy 4/5 day spell , after that, heights diminish to the north west, which allows the more common south westerly regime to kick in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Really good 12zs so far apart from the crappy para which really is rubbish regardless of the upgrade on it!!no consistency what so ever!!!stick with the op is my advice and you wil save yourself from getting a lot of white hair!!!

It was the star of the show 4 hours ago with its 127 layers.

It could have picked up a new trend..... who knows. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

This is fascinating watching even though I’m a complete novice in regards to how everything is interlinked and a small change downstream can have a massive effect later on. It’s frustrating to see how the models flip flop about, one minute they run with epic cold only to drop it later on. It’s obviously very difficult getting any sort of consensus between the bigger models. Reminds me of 2010 this does. I hope so much the charts that are toying with the potentially epic snowy utopia deliver. I think as a nation we could do with something to take our minds off the horrendous situation we are in with Covid. Was great today on our dog walk watching children play in the icy puddles and have fun. They could do with it lord knows. Thanks to all of you guys with your take on things. Great, if not endlessly frustrating, fun 

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Mutton dressed as lamb sadly . It looks great on a NH level but is akin to making a rubbish dinner out of 5 star ingredients . You need low pressure to the east or se , stuck over the UK isn’t good .

Well,better than mutton dressed as mutton (para)

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

I had a look at temperature analogues from CET and found among those 1881, in fact the mean temperature now is a bit lower than it was on the 10th of that famous cold/snow month (1.2) ... blizzards hit the southern counties in a very similar looking evolution around the 16th to 20th of that month and severe cold followed. 

Another interesting factoid is that the only January which ever managed a 2 deg CET increase after the 10th before dropping to a lower end point was 1947 (2.6 to 4.6 to 2.2). Those numbers are all higher than this month's potential numbers, but the severe cold did not start until the 22nd and it did get very mild (probably milder than we'll see mid-week) for a few days after quite a cold start.

I like to see cases where unusual synoptics on model runs have actually happened in the past, shows that nature can accommodate them. 

If I had to guess how this particular evolution might actually work out instead of what's shown, it would be a faster drop in the jet stream and for the channel low scenario to push more into northern France but with less slack flow over Britain, in other words getting the full extent of severe cold into the UK faster. It would mean the main mechanism for snowfall would have to be sea effect rather than synoptic however. 

GFSp had the low over north France earlier. Leaving most of England cold and dry. I hope this doesn’t happen ..but my gut tells me it’s quite likely 

8486FA2C-1B65-4433-A5B4-24C52F08ACC9.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo is fine... It would just ridge a little further west up Greenland than the gem does. 

Thanks 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Well,better than mutton dressed as mutton (para)

That’s brilliant ! Really made me laugh .  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Exactly. It would be nice if there was a bit of an extension of the Greenland High towards Scandinavia, forcing the core of the low pressure to move towards Central Europe.
I expected the Scandi High to develop more today, but I guess I was wrong.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

I had a look at temperature analogues from CET and found among those 1881, in fact the mean temperature now is a bit lower than it was on the 10th of that famous cold/snow month (1.2) ... blizzards hit the southern counties in a very similar looking evolution around the 16th to 20th of that month and severe cold followed. 

Another interesting factoid is that the only January which ever managed a 2 deg CET increase after the 10th before dropping to a lower end point was 1947 (2.6 to 4.6 to 2.2). Those numbers are all higher than this month's potential numbers, but the severe cold did not start until the 22nd and it did get very mild (probably milder than we'll see mid-week) for a few days after quite a cold start.

I like to see cases where unusual synoptics on model runs have actually happened in the past, shows that nature can accommodate them. 

If I had to guess how this particular evolution might actually work out instead of what's shown, it would be a faster drop in the jet stream and for the channel low scenario to push more into northern France but with less slack flow over Britain, in other words getting the full extent of severe cold into the UK faster. It would mean the main mechanism for snowfall would have to be sea effect rather than synoptic however. 

These comments from Roger are worth noting. Excellent.

• Like 2

Posted

GFSP isn't buying it and goes zonal again. Still lots of uncertainty and nothing is nailed on.

The biggest risk looking at the output now is our old friend the west based -NAO. The GEFS are sniffing this out around 192 hours.

Much to be decided though and in a sense I'm actually pleased that we are not seeing the perfect charts at present because the odds of them making it from days 9/10/11 plus to day 1 are tiny.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
9 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

GFSp had the low over north France earlier. Leaving most of England cold and dry. I hope this doesn’t happen ..but my gut tells me it’s quite likely 

8486FA2C-1B65-4433-A5B4-24C52F08ACC9.png

March 11th 2013 carbon copy there! What a painful event that was, despite lots of snow showers. The Channel Islands, N France and Benelux got a clobbering. Nearly 2ft of snow in them places, whilst Kent along to Pompey got a sugar coating and watching the blizzard just offshore!! 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Roger J Smith said:

Showers or more persistent snow on coasts facing north or north east I imagine