Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - another cold spell on the horizon?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

From a southerners perspective, yes, 

Sorry but north or south that is an awful 240 chart from the ECM I'm sure it will not end up like that but compared to other output that is the worst chart yet

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Vikos said:

It’s getting ridiculous in here right now, just over one for some not so favourable run, disregarding the overall patterns we have. Childish behaviour, I’m sorry to say...

Mate its like this all the time youll get used to it.

Hopefully people know enough to know there will always be flips in am atmospheric state of big flux.

The emsembles are very good and getting better and the last run of the EPS excellent

Its just a watching brief people on to tomorrows run to try get some consensus around 144/168

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

No > it is terrible.

Flat as a witches TiT

Between 144 and 168 that round shaped low over Labrador just doesn't get the WAA going, and as a result the Atlantic/Greenland High fails to amplify and misses the connection to the Arctic High.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
8 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

ECM to me isn't terrible? Mid Atlantic high setting up in a position favourable for continued bouts of amplification.

For continued false promises?...great model watching but a contingent will feel this is all it is, maybe the last week in January? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

From a southerners perspective, yes, 

It’s colder in kent than Northern England at the end? 

172B7D45-EF57-4416-9FDD-637D0334E834.gif

• Like 4

Posted

ECM isn't brilliant, and it can't be discounted, however 2 things imo

1) Let's see the ensemble

2) GFS is usually the preferred model in terms of Greenland amplification

ECM could also be a trend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
4 minutes ago, Vikos said:

It’s getting ridiculous in here right now, just over one for some not so favourable run, disregarding the overall patterns we have. Childish behaviour, I’m sorry to say...

In all fairness some of us have not seen snow for over 3 years. I'm looking for something memorable, not some 2c toppler slush fest.

ECM would previously over amplify - have they tweaked the model to dial this out??

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, MATTWOLVES said:

The ECM is a shocker..no question,but I must admit I'm surprised at the over reaction to it... I've got a food feeling it will be an outlier come the mean..no point in getting the Blood Pressure elevated over this op run..give it an hour and I'm sure we will have better news.

I think it’s 2 consecutive ECM runs and the latest Para that have set the nerves off, if ECM doesn’t look better in the morning we are on Shakey ground ...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 minutes ago, MJB said:

Shocking ECM if we are honest - roll on GFS 18z

Roll on the pub run over the ECM - never thought I'd hear that!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The mean on the ECM this morning was down to -6 in London . The op has + 1 at the end  there wasn’t even an ensemble member that went near +1 850s on the graph. It better be a big fat outlier . 

6CFBDC96-5355-4678-B6D1-A25FAF304000.png

B136527D-70B1-4442-B709-7049E1F3D52E.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Quite a sobering run from the ECM. But as we all know at the moment, the SSW is playing havoc with the models at the minute. 

First, let’s see how we do in getting that surface continental cold and battleground scenario out of the way, because that may well surprise a few of us. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Let's be fair ECM hasn't been great of late, it was poor on picking up the Christmas/New Year cold spell.

I'm not saying the ECM is wrong, but we have GFS and multiple other models showing much better than what the ECM is currently showing.

Of course the ECM could be leading the way, but I'm not too bothered about it yet. As I'm pretty sure no model currently has the correct outcome yet whatever they're showing. 

Edited by NewEra21

Posted
7 minutes ago, mulzy said:

ECM is relatively poor but bear in mind there were 6 clusters in this morning’s eps at day 7.  Take anything after day 5 with a shed load of salt.

This post should permanently be at the front of your mind evertime a run comes out. Whether its good or bad

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

ECM isn't brilliant, and it can't be discounted, however 2 things imo

1) Let's see the ensemble

2) GFS is usually the preferred model in terms of Greenland amplification

Re point 2 - have you seen the verification stats for the GFS & GFSp ?   Have you viewed the 12z GFSp?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Aye but don't forget altitude & the previous few days. 

I really respect your info but I'm sorry unless you live up the very top of a mountain the 240 ECM would produce nothing but rain and trying to make out its an OK chart seems to me like clutching at very long straws 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Tweet from Matt H regarding the two latest runs including ECM - he has said he thinks GFS has this more right and ECM will flip... eventually! Bold statement!

We saw the exact same happen around Xmas. It's a strong possibility. 

> Statement of a model bias, or any other statement interpreting the NWP like this does not imply 100% assurance to the interpretation made. Some I think get carried away in that regard following statements of interpretations on here as having no leeway..

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, mulzy said:

ECM is relatively poor but bear in mind there were 6 clusters in this morning’s eps at day 7.  Take anything after day 5 with a shed load of salt.

The ec op was in cluster three earlier and it looks like it’s still in that same cluster at day 10 on the 12z. We want to make sure that cluster hasn’t grown ! 

the WAA off the esb at day 6/7 is the issue.  Last time we had this, gfs was right and ecm was wrong. But gfs was rock solid, run after run and that’s not the case this time ........

• Like 4