Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 24/01/21

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

thanks for these^

The ext EPS clusters plaster heights all over the NW/N and NE...

20210124203238-b890fe74acddff55d021a9c691be5216a86bf227.thumb.png.30d3549cdc9391b0cc049060d7b55579.png

and there is only two +NAO'S (blue boxes) in there,...i will take that

Must admit the 360 look a stonker.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Ext EPS mean shows higher heights over Scandinavia spreading to cover all regions to our northwest, north and northeast. Low heights over UK diluting out.

A decent if not desperately cold mean. 

Just pleased to see an improvement on the 00z suite ....

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Yes, 0z on the London graph had mild trending written all over it, another 2 runs like that and any corresponding downgrade on the GEFS and i would have been preparing to throw in the towel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Must admit the 360 look a stonker.

hey, @feb1991blizzard, how is this looking overall into Feb to you now? Because from where I’m standing it is looking good, the effects of the SSW are now showing impact and the MJO seems to be playing ball (although the MJO is an unreliable witness!). 

From the strat NAM chart here:

C155D127-0311-4162-9D8E-DCC3FFA35451.thumb.png.9bf1221d3538e81a0e81a15c36a9151a.png

I think now as important as the blues at our level at the bottom are, the reds at the top are also important as they will impart force on the downwelling if my understanding is correct.  Make sure we get what has been promised!!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes BA they were horrific. Didn’t want to moan in here as many people were looking forward to their first snow of the winter and I didn’t want to spoil their day, which at least 30 of the EPS members would have, unless you worship long fetched southwesterlies!

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

hey, @feb1991blizzard, how is this looking overall into Feb to you now? Because from where I’m standing it is looking good, the effects of the SSW are now showing effect and the MJO seems to be playing ball (although the MJO is an unreliable witness!). 

From the strat NAM chart here:

C155D127-0311-4162-9D8E-DCC3FFA35451.thumb.png.9bf1221d3538e81a0e81a15c36a9151a.png

I think now as important as the blues at our level at the bottom, the reds at the top are also important as they will impart force on the downwelling if my understanding is correct.  Make sure we get what has been promised!!

Well, looking at the last 2 days worth of ens suites since that bonkers suite on the 18z, i would say odds against any real cold uppers reaching us because as soon as the predicted cold gets sub day 10, they just trend milder, can't rule out the whole of Feb definitively as the FI GFS isn't terrible in the strat, i had previously worried that if we keep having failures we are going to run out of breathing space, but also BA's post saying ECM op showing signs of a split late in the run so would hang firm, but if everything carries on getting pushed back on the graphs for the next couple of days then the writing would be on the wall until pretty much mid feb.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Uncertainy said:

Yes BA they were horrific. Didn’t want to moan in here as many people were looking forward to their first snow of the winter and I didn’t want to spoil their day, which at least 30 of the EPS members would have, unless you worship long fetched southwesterlies!

Didn’t even look at the 0z runs (apart from HARMONIE for the regional thread) too busy enjoying the snow, glad I missed a stinker! 

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, carinthian said:

Arpege chart going for a snowy Thursday with quite a depth in some favoured places. Will be interesting to see the updated fax for the same day.

C

snowdepth_20210124_12_096.jpg

Wowsers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Generally, whenever you see a model run past 5 days range develop a huge trough without breaking lows away, it's time to put the sceptical hat on.

ECM 12z fitting that bill today.

Noticed something about the Scandinavian high potential - a lot of the outcomes have very cold air and not particularly high SLP, which means there isn't much of an impression on the geopotential heights to show up in the clusters. Something to consider.

Probably makes trough interaction with said highs harder to resolve, too.

Will the Atlantic submit? How I wish I had a good idea...!

• Like 9

Posted
30 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Whats with the arpege for thursday!!!!ecm looks identical but dont think it has any snow at all?!!

Aperge has found the right page now unfortunately...

A7055AEC-C7B7-4193-A5AF-1146B38432A5.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Griff said:

GFS to give much better heights and full on scandi by day 9

gfsnh-0-126.png

See much better already.. 

Ignore the Atlantic... Too progressive. 

(I might have snow fever) 

gfsnh-0-138.png

gfsnh-1-138.png

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Thats the gfs tim   

Oh yes Don’t how I managed that!...Dream is still just about alive ...for another hour

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

You know, I kind of look at this and think, no this isn’t going to happen...GFS T174:
3CFA05F4-745A-41DB-A581-220002BC604C.thumb.png.ea1962fe218ba20480d4926f261644f5.png

Where is the system in the Atlantic getting its drivers from?  Numerical modelling errors compounding is my take...this one is for the bin...

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

You know, I kind of look at this and think, no this isn’t going to happen...GFS T174:
3CFA05F4-745A-41DB-A581-220002BC604C.thumb.png.ea1962fe218ba20480d4926f261644f5.png

Where is the system in the Atlantic getting its drivers from?  Numerical modelling errors compounding is my take...this one is for the bin...

Low heights off the eastern seaboard is the the drivers, can't bin it, as much as it can be wrong

Edited by Beano

Posted
19 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GFS 18z // already got all sorts of options on the table at T120:

3946F01C-7590-48FE-9308-9F4FCD3F9F5D.thumb.png.7b78a3ad9ae9348e2d2707da858f2de0.png

It follows the ecm op so it would take a brave man to discount it. The optimist in me however says..... This is the pub run and the ecm op was an outlier at this timeframe. This gives me some hope for the morning runs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
24 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Another frustrating run .

The upstream low refuses to disrupt enough energy se wards , not helped by the bloated shortwave nw of Norway . It’s that area where we need a wedge of heights to extend sw .

That needs to do one ! 

Looking at the overall trends the evolution looks to be one of a wedge of heights to the north . Upstream low moves east phases with the limpet shortwave west of Iceland , that gets pulled further nw . The wedge at the moment gets squashed unable to develop further because of the bloated shortwave nw of Norway .

If there’s more trough disruption then more drama like recent days with an emotional rollercoaster for coldies , possibly some decent snow for favoured areas .

Overall at the moment it’s currently looking a hard slog to develop a Scandi high to bring some deeper cold west  in the day ten timeframe unless one puts a lot of faith in the GEM trend ( good luck with that !)  , ironically now there is deeper cold to the east! 

Given the recent poor model performances all round the hope is they’re ballsing this up aswell and are being too progressive .

Onto tomorrow ! 

It's a wonder you've got any hair left Nick

• Like 1