Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 24/01/21

phil nw.

Posted
14 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Not a great start to the day with the ECM trend from last night strengthening , the  low speeds across the Atlantic on steroids , any wedge waves the white flag and scarpers off at day 6 .

After that it’s a case of the troughing sat over the UK as per the ECM op or more trough disruption and the return of the odd wedge to take the jet further south .

Whats very unlikely is any deep cold from the east or a Scandi high within ten days . 

Some snow is a possibility but we certainly need the ECM op to start disrupting more energy se wards for that to happen.

Yes. EC-oper gets more support.

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, The BEAST From The East said:

Good or bad? ?

I’d say fairly average with a mixed signal still,  but perhaps more confidence of a decent cold spell from 4th Feb? ....

ABBE30B6-CB60-4760-9258-977A25030759.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

good, - mean below -5c.

image.thumb.png.64db595c0315a77f8bf53ac47a389862.png

I’d say for London (see my set above) the mean is around -4 and that’s only for a few days. Would struggle to see much snow in the south? Looks like a continuation of snow on high ground midlands north and very temporary sleet or wet snow further south

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

I’d say for London (see my set above) the mean is around -4 and that’s only for a few days. Would struggle to see much snow in the south? Looks like a continuation of snow on high ground midlands north and very temporary sleet or wet snow further south

You really have to give credit to the metoffice this winter.  Their 30 day updates have been on the button whole winter. 

• Like 6

Posted

Not feeling it with the EC det and mean.

Hoping ext eps look better but time is ticking now, solar input will become an issue mid Feb onwards...

We need upgrades sharpish..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

TBF i am talking fairly far out - too far to use the mean as an actual forecast parameter, the mean being around -4c or -5c in FI just gives you a shot at -8 to -10 unless there is real tight grouping, hoping that as we get within 100 hours, its the cold clustering that wins out and the mild runs disappear and as a result the mean drops to -7c then uultimately -8c or below denoting any event is an all snow event, in other words -4c can mean a 100% chance of -4c, a 50% chance of 0c and a 50% chance of -8c, or just about any other combination within the spread.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Not a great start to the day with the ECM trend from last night strengthening , the  low speeds across the Atlantic on steroids , any wedge waves the white flag and scarpers off at day 6 .

After that it’s a case of the troughing sat over the UK as per the ECM op or more trough disruption and the return of the odd wedge to take the jet further south .

Whats very unlikely is any deep cold from the east or a Scandi high within ten days . 

Some snow is a possibility but we certainly need the ECM op to start disrupting more energy se wards for that to happen.

Yes,Cant get the deep cold into the UK this winter,looks prime towards the weekend,but somehow that low rushes across the Atlantic and the cold air gets pushed away by all the models now.Still a long way out so maybe they have it incorrect,find out in the next 24 hours.in this frustrating winter here,at least some have seen snow this winter,if this run verifies,might not be much more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Yes,Cant get the deep cold into the UK this winter,looks prime towards the weekend,but somehow that low rushes across the Atlantic and the cold air gets pushed away by all the models now.Still a long way out so maybe they have it incorrect,find out in the next 24 hours.in this frustrating winter here,at least some have seen snow this winter,if this run verifies,might not be much more.

We've seen next to none and with such great synoptics I remain optimistic 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

E6632F5C-3296-4D6C-9D88-AEA7692F0410.thumb.gif.281ce35ad1bdd43e68e19f9b64f270fc.gif

While we’re all waiting for our winter nirvana, rainfall totals will need to be watched once again over the next 7-10 days, especially in the W/NW

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

You would thing we would be going in to colder spell with this chart . 

3EAFEC0C-93D1-4AA8-8B2C-1E89EFC16573.png

The the shape of the cyclone is too round, so that heat advection at the front of the cyclone is not directed properly northward. The cyclone moves too fast from west to east. A shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not feeling it with the EC det and mean.

Hoping ext eps look better but time is ticking now, solar input will become an issue mid Feb onwards...

We need upgrades sharpish..

Well we have been looking at juicey 9 day outputs since christmas and they never materialised. So i wouldnt put much faith in a milder scenario occuring either

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, TSNWK said:

You really have to give credit to the metoffice this winter.  Their 30 day updates have been on the button whole winter. 

Completely agree, they have nailed this! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

For me these are the most promising models of the day so far- could we soon see some assistance from the MJO

GFS goes very high amp phase 7, while ECM and CFS are looking like they may continue through 7 into 8 

20210125_102211.jpg

20210125_102225.jpg

20210125_102245.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Today’s outputs highlight the problem with the ensembles at longer range , the so called solid support for colder conditions can implode quickly. 

Yesterday’s ECM op run now sadly looks like the trend setter . The jet looks to remain south but without any stronger blocking in the right place it looks like chasing the odd wedge which might allow for just enough cold for some snow   but likely to be marginal .

Hopefully tonight’s outputs stop the slide ! 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

GFS ensembles look good, definitely better than yesterday

image.thumb.png.07d6160214ef232630fb1b3d17d945c4.png

I'd agree , a cool down on the 2nd ( next Tuesday ) , lets see if it can be maintained 

• Like 2

Posted

Whats stopping the really cold air hitting the uk,somehow a low is able to blast away all the cold air attempting to get into the UK in 24 hours.The ecm and ukmo at 120 hours look prime for cold air winning out,but 24 hours later it all goes wrong  with that low steaming in,and its game-over.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Today’s outputs highlight the problem with the ensembles at longer range , the so called solid support for colder conditions can implode quickly. 

Yesterday’s ECM op run now sadly looks like the trend setter . The jet looks to remain south but without any stronger blocking in the right place it looks like chasing the odd wedge which might allow for just enough cold for some snow   but likely to be marginal .

Two weeks ago I said there was no sign of a sustained cold outbreak, but there was signs of large snow falls with the cold moving south and north over time.

We are yet to see a substantial snowfall even thou we have had several across the country where the boundary sits.

The output remains the same with snow fall always a possibility even large localised ones.

Maybe its time we stopped looking for a two week winter freeze and just enjoy whats on offer?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Two weeks ago I said there was no sign of a sustained cold outbreak, but there was signs of large snow falls with the cold moving south and north over time.

We are yet to see a substantial snowfall even thou we have had several across the country where the boundary sits.

The output remains the same with snow fall always a possibility even large localised ones.

Maybe its time we stopped looking for a two week winter freeze and just enjoy whats on offer?

I am more than happy with a repeat of yesterday where MBY did quite well ( 10cm) , it will sit around for a couple of days before the milder air takes over , 2 or 3 or these events will do just fine . Yes a 2 week deep freeze is rare as we know , localised marginal events can be much better ,  after last nights freeze its lethal.

image.thumb.png.be9968e99dab33c7e557524909da6103.png

The next wintry flavour could be very soon

Banbury Snow 10.jpg

Banbury Snow 14.jpg

Yesterdays snow 1.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
32 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes, that is why i get absolutely ridiculed after calling a cold spell fail after only 2 or 3 successive downgrades but its true, the next 3 days ens suites are critical, you need them to climb aboard and stay aboard, what we are looking for is more and more members to join the cold cluster, once youur in the 192 range you need more than half the suite on board, once they start joining the milder cluster inside 192 its usually game over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1