Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

I wish people would stop the “it’s for the bin” comments.

The ECM is a perfectly plausible outcome.

Height at 144 over scandinavia and the low goes north east and stalls ,other models have it going SE .It is  like an unwanted guest at a party and dose not look correct in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

probably academic as it is slowly moving toward other models ..but if ECM is worst case scenario, is still not that bad, low could slide properly and bring in an easterly but even at that trajectory / latitude it has snow for many ...

60050D05-18A9-4C0C-B987-837B0417E2B9.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I don’t normally comment on a run in progress for fear of ending up sounding like a horses ass...butt....the ECM 12z T+168 doesn’t look to bad!?..ach..I’ve seen worse

B7C2D699-AAE4-47D6-83CF-D5230EC1C78C.thumb.png.f8e15728582dbd12115a9cc1a52dfed3.pngF1BCEF3F-10B2-41BF-AC3C-160A0526B2C9.thumb.png.c981addfd92d755791eae7001751faf9.png69458614-79AA-4490-AC21-355989973D4D.thumb.png.237cf4759844e6b078956db6262dbc86.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, snowice said:

Height at 144 over scandinavia and the low goes north east and stalls ,other models have it going SE .It is  like an unwanted guest at a party and dose not look correct in my opinion.

Agreed but it could be correct. Hope not though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Hate the ECM evolution but it still produces another dumping. Lol

image.thumb.png.f359c4474a03ce4520d45de9979b52c0.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

T120 all 3.  T144 all 3. It is between these times where it changes. Tomorrow morning will sort it out.

9C54E12B-E798-41C7-92B4-0B458D4663C3.png

3E269D5B-5B26-4CE5-9770-C88CAD15732C.png

2D0F46D9-7E9D-4D5D-B57D-7F6078A044FA.gif

FC481EC7-40BA-4949-A417-117CA501A365.png

FF4D3269-45CA-4EBC-88A8-C1B8B17A7B71.gif

13283FD5-2087-4A5C-A215-24F9C8BBB70A.png

I'd say ECM is going pear shaped at 120 to be honest - not enough northern heights - it might be right and the others wrong - probably not a huge amount of data from that area. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

What's wrong with the ECM at 192!!!

ECH1-192.thumb.gif.42ea1c35bb38a1d72e2ece34e00af50e.gif

heights in place to the north/northwest with trough dropping SE and cold air coming in from the NE.

TOTALLY AGAINST THE OTHER MODELS THOUGH so should we bin it?

Because if the ECM is correct we have delayed cold by possibly 4 days, thats 4 days for everything to go wrong and it end being delayed again or indefinetly. The GFS has the -8 clearing by T168 the ECM can't muster the strength to get it into the midlands.

Poor run.

FI is 72-96 range.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms

Problem is I can’t remember a winter with such a negative Ao and a negative nao since the 1st of December not delivering anything substantial 2018 and 2010 both delivered the UK seems to be cursed when it comes to decent cold spells all the background signals have been there for nearly 2 months and nothing exceptional has happened !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, winterof79 said:

Hate the ECM evolution but it still produces another dumping. Lol

image.thumb.png.f359c4474a03ce4520d45de9979b52c0.png

Still an abysmal run in comparison to The gfs if cold and snow is what your after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Better by ECM and moved in right direction.  

image.thumb.png.d6e6d20e4600de7330be91e0221b61ac.png

It doesn’t quite get there but less movement of the trough from Newfoundland towards the SE tip of Greenland.

If the idea is right and that GEM and UKMO etc are right I’m not concerned the ECM hasn’t suddenly shown the same yet, the fact it’s moved towards is enough. I think in a couple of days we’ll be very knowing where we head.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MKN said:

Still an abysmal run in comparison to The gfs if cold and snow is what your after. 

Not the best - but if you are looking for trends in one model - it is a positive step forward from this morning.

The fact that is it flip flopping indicates to me that it is struggling

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well 240h turned out a bit better than thought...but still lack of any deep cold, still underwhelming run.

Posted

Ecm has been poor imo in the main this winter but could be right if its sticking to its guns. If it backtracks..........massive egg on face.

Time will tell.

Edited by joggs

Posted

No ice days or decent snow from this crud ECM,just more of the same that we have had this winter,good for higher elevations and marginal events for others,pass the sick bag.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Every option is on the table until say Tuesday when we find out where the low heights are headed. Hopefully to the South allowing a cold easterly feed to develop.

Until then expect a lot of chopping and changing from the models for better or worse!

• Like 3

Posted

I’ve seen it several times of years ECM losing scent giving a major scare only to go back to consensus bit by bit, I don’t like ECM 12z but it’s an second successive improvement earlier on following that awful 12z these improvements eventually add up. 120-144 is as far as we can realistically look right now, we’re wasting our time analysing what comes after until that is determined. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM will probably get there in the end but the south really does struggle all run, though still probably several snow events for those in the Midlands and north.

So for all those who are hoping the eCM is wrong, one nugget of hope from my observation over many years

It does not cope well with cutoff lows that get left in the flow. More often than not it spins them in place for too long instead of ejecting them eastwards. I've observed this in about the last 15 years of tropics watching where such features can make a huge impact on tracks and its a well known left bias that the Americans see alot, and I have no doubt it applies here as well.

Conversely the GFS is often a little too quick, which if you look at the ensembles you can kind of see that in action. The OP mind you looks more reasonable to me.

So where does that leave us. I'm suggesting that I don't thin the LP is just going to sit and sit over us like the ECM is suggesting. Not to say its totally wrong, but its taking way too long to shift the LP out of the way which then allows it to connect with whatever is going on in the Atlantic and basically shuts the door for alot of the south when it comes to snow chances. Doesn't really damage the norths chances though.

So the ECM may not be just a 'bin' run per say as it is a plausable outcome, BUT it is very much on the far end in terms of what a realistic solution looks like, in much the same way as some of the GFS ensembles clearing an easterly by Wednesday are too quick.

EDIT - I agree with Chino btw, the ECM post 240hrs has a real solid look to me, I think it'd get there in the end! Just another 3-5 day wait is not what we want now.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

To sum up the ECM, it’s off the post and then in  all roads lead to cold as it stands. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The only consistent thing about ECM is the inconsistency.

Go Compare (this is not an advert!)

0z                                                                      12z

image.thumb.png.106a1acb0cd8c5035333553b15041bd4.pngimage.thumb.png.b79bc8467b5b9b18cead6959d8fdc4fa.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

To sum up the ECM, it’s off the post and then in  all roads lead to cold as it stands. 

Agreed. ECM continues along its own path towards cold. Not 1963 by any standards, but is this likely?

• Like 2