Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Stunner for the North that bad boy with a long fetch frigid  Easterly running oer a warmer North Sea

image.thumb.png.49e7f3dbf9c734032692b91960ab4484.png

For quite a few I'd say 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Wow east of England south east England..

EFA04A22-5AF5-4549-9A7F-1929E4E926D5.webp

Edited by Scandinavian High.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, cold snowy Winters

I sense the excitement!! I take it i am too far west to benefit from any of these models regarding potential snowfall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

96 / 120 / 144 850's on the UK

image.thumb.png.d56df41b01c7f18af07621a8b80143dd.pngimage.thumb.png.423aedabd64fe2fcc654f30cbd333a55.pngimage.thumb.png.abc2d31c4ecf36d5428e44c729902c6d.png  

I though they may have been a tad colder for the south, but should be cold enough for most, cracking charts for sure

Oh they will be cold enough away from the Coast 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
9 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Blimey!!! Thats one hell of an ukmo day 5!

spacer.png

I haven't seen a UKMO chart like that since... Forever?!??!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

image.thumb.png.20a4b135e01b0a10e2900a3152e88d29.png image.thumb.png.5066d0df0bd68aa7b1925861fb63c805.png 

GFS continues to make more of the wrap-in of warm sector toward southeast England during Saturday.

This means it brings more moisture into play there but also reduces the convective contribution. Does it balance out, I wonder - is this a win-win setup unless the warm sector advances too far?

Fun but perhaps pointless questions at this stage .

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, ITSY said:

Flaming heck. Like you Frosty I'm not talking from a Cambridge POV here (I'm doubtful how well we'll do in our back yard) but from a hemispheric and national perspective, wowza. What a setup! 

I am very hopeful for us in Cambridge though, we missed out so far this winter.... fingers crossed this is our time!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Think you can pretty much bin anything from now onwards on the GFS, is it really going to blow up that low in the Atlantic shown like that?

• Like 6

Posted

image.thumb.png.0743b1cdadf6e8a6f5c22e84f1d4c95f.png          image.thumb.png.8ada8952cc1a4c7a7e10bd30181ba469.png

How can we be seeing this kind of chart when the NAO forecast doesn't even reflect the -NAO setup on the GFS chart. Doesn't that show classic -NAO with high pressure near Greenland and Iceland and lower pressure further south?

• Like 1

Posted

I was a little nerve jittering about those uppers earlier on the GFS, it does seem too me the flow is more ESE'ly in recent runs for Saturday into Sunday so it does mean for the south a slight delay in the cold but again a slight positioning could mean more easterly flow and colder uppers coming earlier again. The margin for error in the south is really not all that high but hopefully the cold air can filter down there eventually.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

image.thumb.png.d56df41b01c7f18af07621a8b80143dd.pngimage.thumb.png.423aedabd64fe2fcc654f30cbd333a55.pngimage.thumb.png.abc2d31c4ecf36d5428e44c729902c6d.png  

I thought they may have been a tad colder for the south, but should be cold enough for most, cracking charts for sure

They’re only less cold in the south as the lows in the channel are trying to edge in. 

• Like 2

Posted

Obviously the east I’m will be getting battered by deep snow on the UKMO but for the south west contingent there could be something from that low sitting just off the south coast...

AB45E7FC-1A2C-48EF-84D7-81CD0D9AB164.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

UKMO ejects the limpet low cleanly east and slides the upstream system beneath long-fetch easterlies for a spectacular synoptic set up with long-term potential. Perfection.

GFS holds the limpet low slightly further north (than the 06z) and the coldest uppers are delayed into the SE BUT upstream low sliding more readily - short term pain might bring long term gain.

spacer.png

Edit: Blows up the dart-board low upstream (as always). That's as far as I'm going.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
Just now, SqueakheartLW said:

image.thumb.png.0743b1cdadf6e8a6f5c22e84f1d4c95f.png          image.thumb.png.8ada8952cc1a4c7a7e10bd30181ba469.png

How can we be seeing this kind of chart when the NAO forecast doesn't even reflect the -NAO setup on the GFS chart. Doesn't that show classic -NAO with high pressure near Greenland and Iceland and lower pressure further south?

There are different methods of measuring the NAO, the US definition, is more relevant to the eastern USA and is around neutral. The version often referred to for the UK is the Gibraltar / Iceland SLP gradient which in the chart above is negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Obviously the east I’m will be getting battered by deep snow on the UKMO but for the south west contingent there could be something from that low sitting just off the south coast...

AB45E7FC-1A2C-48EF-84D7-81CD0D9AB164.jpeg

To be honest Tim  that gfs 12z  gives many hours of snow  from the east pushing way inland      4 models in and all look great 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

I thought they may have been a tad colder for the south, but should be cold enough for most, cracking charts for sure

do we think -5/-6 uppers on the 144 will introduce a rain risk - thiking on the -7 and rain streamer early January?

Posted
4 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

That NAO chart is from the 1st. Think it would be more negative in the next chart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

do we think -5/-6 uppers on the 144 will introduce a rain risk - thiking on the -7 and rain streamer early January?

Don't quote me, but I think it's probably fine.  Like to see the dew points but I reckon it's OK - just!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Drifter said:

No chance

- lower dew points

- colder source of air

- colder seas

- more embedded cold 

No chance later on (the time you're referencing) but there is a small chance of this for Sunday/Monday if the low touches the SE Quadrant, at least according to the GFS (which does, thankfully, appear to be the least reliable at the moment). One to watch but it is only the starting gun so to speak...

Edited by ITSY