Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted

Liking tonight's UKMO Sunday through to Tuesday 850's looking good. Not liking GFS runs of late though wanting to bring less cold uppers in from the south and been consistent with it's breakdown from the SW, it can't be ruled out but hope it's got this all wrong. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason H said:

That's very much a worse case scenario. All I can see is snow from that set up. 

Nah not even close to worst case, worst case was what GFS was doing a couple of days ago!

As I said this morning, about 20 runs had no settled snow in the SE on the ECM ensembles, so something like 30-40% of the runs. 

I don't think its what will happen tbh, but its not an insignificant possibility. Further west and north you go the lower the risk, and I think north of EA your fine regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GEM keeps deep cold lurking over scandinavia to the end of the run and the high pressure looks to be re-grouping.

I wonder if we might see the cold relax for a day or two and then re-assert itself as models often underestimate a cold block of air?  This could just be the starter.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Nah not even close to worst case, worst case was what GFS was doing a couple of days ago!

As I said this morning, about 20 runs had no settled snow in the SE on the ECM ensembles, so something like 30-40% of the runs. 

I don't think its what will happen tbh, but its not an insignificant possibility. Further west and north you go the lower the risk, and I think north of EA your fine regardless.

Ok. I'll agree to disagree. I was looking at the operationals from the latest runs. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Yes but equally it could force low pressure systems into France, with a number of channel low's

You may get 1 Chanel low but IF the jet becomes that strong and the Atlantic stays firing on all cylinders we are not going to get continuous channel lows. At least I can’t remember it ever happening ??  
Our best chance at longevity is that the cold over the Us is moderated, the lows are much shallower and further south...then we stand a chance

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I hope people appreciate your  honesty and reluctance to spin things . Because the forecast for southern areas is more complicated than further north . 

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

All depends on the wind direction and plenty of other factors.

The GFS 12z has other factors that are more than good enough. For example a SE wind which allows for slightly lower dew points and a good feed of lower thicknesses into the region to compensate. 

00z ECM turned it to rain for the SE as the wind direction was too much ENE which meant the dew points and other factors also were too high, before it turned back to snow for most as the warm sector filled in and cooled down.

I think we will be ok down here, but I've gotta keep people aware of the downside, especially as this place becomes a cold hivemind ay times, then they all get surprised when things dont go as expected for some.

Very good post, when the GFS was coming out, I was getting nervous about the uppers because it could make a huge difference in terms of the weather we get. The margin for error for those in the south is small but even those further north  cant fully relax either.

Still a few question marks on just how quickly and how far south and west the coldest air gets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jason H said:

Ok. I'll agree to disagree. I was looking at the operationals from the latest runs. 

This is the ECM operational from the 00z fwiw:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020300_138_4855_155.thumb.png.75c2dadddf0b9f1b118f0e3e298728a0.png

Thats probably a realistic worst case scenario at the moment to be honest!

It was something of an outlier with regards to the wind direction though which suggests its handling the low differently to the other models.

BTW Jason, the GEM is a heck of a gem for you guys, I used to live in Thurrock and this airflow would be leaving extremely excited.

Wouldn't rule out thundersnow in this sort o set-up btw! I'm an alumni of the Thames streamer!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Who has said that?  Maybe Koldweather, but he's an extreme pessimist!

It’s too far out to know for sure.  Hants normally does well in these set ups.  I said earlier that spots that currently look favoured will change.  Chances are that the places not looking so good at the moment will end up getting plastered.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

If you look at the cold across the pond it’s no wonder the jet stream is going into over drive. The block is strong but with a jet like that it’s no match unfortunately.   Long cold spells usually occur when the jet / Atlantic is quiet and this is difficult with that much cold over northern USA. Still a chance that we can get an extra day or so out it and the first shot could slide and give snow , but I don’t think we can sustain our cold for long.
Still 5-6 days with widespread snow cover is significant! ⛄️ 

612BD0F1-54BB-4BCA-A3D4-7CCF9F35FB5E.png

F22393F5-14B8-4A4E-83CD-92206E3909B2.png

As long as the jet stream is well to our south a powerful jet stream isn’t a deal breaker even could help getting some lows/moisture our way especially for western areas which don’t benefit as much from easterlies.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

You may get 1 Chanel low but IF the jet becomes that strong and the Atlantic stays firing on all cylinders we are not going to get continuous channel lows. At least I can’t remember it ever happening ??  
Our best chance at longevity is that the cold over the Us is moderated, the lows are much shallower and further south...then we stand a chance

This is why it's good that models are toying with height increases to our North (NW and NE), like GFS 0z and ICON 12z.
After 144h there is still a lot to be resolved. I see @bluearmy mentioned this too now.

With Scandi/Iceland heights in place, a strong jet will either stay to the south and indeed continue to send lows along that line, or the jet might go NE and fuel a Scandi High through WAA.

Especially in February there can be a cold America and a cold Europe at the same time.

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, kold weather said:

This is the ECM operational from the 00z fwiw:

us_model-en-999-0_modez_2021020300_138_4855_155.thumb.png.75c2dadddf0b9f1b118f0e3e298728a0.png

Thats probably a realistic worst case scenario at the moment to be honest!

It was something of an outlier with regards to the wind direction though which suggests its handling the low differently to the other models.

BTW Jason, the GEM is a heck of a gem for you guys, I used to live in Thurrock and this airflow would be leaving extremely excited.

Wouldn't rule out thundersnow in this sort o set-up btw! I'm an alumni of the Thames streamer!

Hello @kold weather that graphic really helps illustrate the outcome on where the low on Monday   sits has - nice and simple colours, may I please ask for you to share the same for 12z's line against the above - be great to see if any difference - more blue, less green Obs! 

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

GFS ensembles are getting increasingly snowy, to go along with the GEM and the GFS.

Increasingly confident that there is going to be a metric shed load of snow around. Regardless of perhaps some marginality briefly on Monday for the SE, it is increasingly becoming more confident of a decent snow event coming up.

Yep best snow spikes of the season so far for Dartford, Kent

Screenshot_20210203-165627_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
19 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I hope people appreciate your  honesty and reluctance to spin things . Because the forecast for southern areas is more complicated than further north . 

I think people do and it’s a good counterbalance to the the hyperbolic run of the century posts we have had today ! Snow yes anything really historic not so sure ! If I was up Yorkshire way though would be pretty confident of some more decent winter - down here in the south not so confident but in with a chance ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
35 minutes ago, AdrianHull said:

Yes you did. But I think people want  snow from the continent with low uppers. Not a wet 10cm snow /slush 

Certainly wasn't slush and will hang around longer as its much much colder , so much fixation on -10 850's

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Man Without Beard said:

Based on all the models I've seen in the past 24 hours, this is my interpretation, well it was a picture or 1000 words  

562570822_Forecast7-10Feb.thumb.jpg.25c3f7856c82a31f59ca89f9fea6c98a.jpg

I think you better move that line that is on the border of east anglia further west and the one over the north midlands further south

• Like 1