Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - deep cold inbound?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's a busy time right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 

For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

you are so right - we sometimes forget what is right under our nose today, compared with previous years and I guess future - so after 10 years I have updated my profile pic - dated as well... 

That’s confidence for you!!  Hope ECM delivers the same, every chance, we’ve got past the issue a few days ago ECM was having trouble with, now the GFS is struggling.  

Now that we’ve got past the troublesome low story, it would be well worth watching developments on NH view for reasons @chris55 notes above.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Don said:

That's subject to change several times between now and then.  Was always going to be knife edge for the south but everyone is in with a chance at least!

Was always going to be knife edge? Shouldn't be using that term for the best spell in several years really....Also the precip has been continually lack-luster since the outset for the south ao its still dreadfully frustrating. 

Edited by Guest

Posted
35 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Based on all the models I've seen in the past 24 hours, this is my interpretation, well it was a picture or 1000 words  

562570822_Forecast7-10Feb.thumb.jpg.25c3f7856c82a31f59ca89f9fea6c98a.jpg

Your thoughts are for 2 days of snow for the east anglia region ? The regional forecast earlier (not that I take them as gospel) was suggesting 4 days. Do you think that is unlikely ? In an easterly, is it possible for convective snow showers from the north sea for more than a couple of days ?     

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

Your thoughts are for 2 days of snow for the east anglia region ? The regional forecast earlier (not that I take them as gospel) was suggesting 4 days. Do you think that is unlikely ? In an easterly, is it possible for convective snow showers from the north sea for more than a couple of days ?     

No chance that east Anglia will get hammered. Many times we are forecast as being in the best place, but snow avoids ea like the plague. Easterlies funnel around it, sliders too far south, occasionally in a direct northerly we may get 2"..  The setup shown looks good, but something will mess it up, it always does.  And that's being optimistic

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Youcan'tbecirrus said:

My personal view is Sunday and Monday will be the main event for E Anglia but no doubt there may be other snow. Just a guess!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Was always going to be knife edge? Shouldn't be using that term for the best spell in several years really....Also the precip has been continually lack-luster since the outset for the south ao its still dreadfully frustrating. 

Unfortunately your location is fairly far SW, which is typically going to require one heck of a easterly to get the showers down there. I actually think there will be something for you guys that far down but you kinda have to accept that its less than somewhere like where I will be, and I will get less than those guys who are close to the Thames Estuary. 

Hopefully the cold digs in enough so that any LP that does try to come up will be forced to go into snow, thats always going to be your best chance closer to the coast further SW in these airflows, unless you can get little local streamers (which can happen from time to time)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Don’t see the issue in using the term knife edge but never mind ,let’s just sit back and see how this pans out

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Bit of a rubbish GFS mean really for longevity of cold, it’s starting to look like a 3/4 day potential event, rather than the potential freeze suggested a few days ago. 

6FEA039C-45F0-440F-A666-6DE7256BC329.png

If you go by that model on one run. Trend?

It may be.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
9 minutes ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

No chance that east Anglia will get hammered. Many times we are forecast as being in the best place, but snow avoids ea like the plague. Easterlies funnel around it, sliders too far south, occasionally in a direct northerly we may get 2"..  The setup shown looks good, but something will mess it up, it always does.  And that's being optimistic

GFS P says otherwise

gfs-16-108.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS 12z Parallel on Meteociel - very similar to all other output from 96hrs to 168 and then there's an attempted breakdown of sorts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joggs said:

If you go by that model on one run. Trend?

It may be.

Or it's just GFS blowing up the Atlantic low. If we can keep high pressure to the north then it's more likely the jet will stay south, prolonging our cold  

But, can't worry about that yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T96 v UKMO:

C3C2C113-81AE-45C0-AC3D-067115EF689A.thumb.gif.900bc2819d7a6abbe5388d9a86386d8c.gif284FDD51-9963-4144-9B93-791ACEB5F276.thumb.png.10c0b1d5d5cfab1ecb45a0f7284f899a.png

Notice the two lows to the southwest, one thing I’m increasingly starting to notice is that UKMO is reluctant to develop deep lows here, ECM a bit more, and GFS over the top.  I’m convinced that in this region, massively affecting the UK, the UKMO has it right.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1