Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

Akin to 'may contain traces of nuts' found on food packaging.  The risk is there, be guarded, but chances are minimal.  I'd worry if this was on a pack of boxer shorts though.

Would have been a dropped Similar to a young bulling if they'd missed it off the packaging text.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A much better day than I was expecting here although pretty much as this morning’s BBC forecast was with the cloud and showers tending to be to the east of the Pennines and the brightest conditions to the west.

It’s not been a common occurrence so far this month but with the sunshine and some decent temperatures, it actually feels like a summers day at the moment.

kiss of death no doubt, it’ll probably be peeing down shortly

• Like 4

Posted

Clouds gathering and its gone quite dark.

Wonder if the chain of showers are edging West?

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Clouds gathering and its gone quite dark.

Wonder if the chain of showers are edging West?

Yep just had brief moderate shower… 

Edit quite heavy now 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted

Still raining fairly heavily must be another 20-25mm in last hour and a bit…. humid 19c out… 

kleftico lamb with onion/potatoes & balsamic tomatoes  

hoping this week is warm/dry/sunny to get stuff sorted outside before popping to Somerset next weekend to pick up my mum and aunt and bring them up to Glossop

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not a bad afternoon here some good sunny spells. Been lucky really because just a few miles to the east and it's a conveyor belt of rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

The mighty Pennines have done a pretty good job so far in keeping the showers to my east but it started raining 10 minutes ago.

fortunately I got back from a walk 11 minutes ago

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

The clouds broke up here around lunchtime to give a lovely sunny afternoon. More of the same to come over the next few days by the looks of it.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes the forecast looking decent. And very little rain looking at the ensembles. Does make one wonder is the Atlantic slowing down like some scientists think? Day 10 posted an article about this. We're a long way north and this could impact us big time. Might end up with Winters like Newfoundland.

• Like 5

Posted

And a whacking great energy bill to boot.

• Like 5

Posted

A few heavy showers late afternoon and evening. Otherwise a humid warm feeling day.

Coming week looking very good for the region. Sheltered from the east wind. Anyone who has waited until last week of school holidays for their summer holiday has struck lucky.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 21/08/2021 at 17:56, damianslaw said:

We recorded -3 degrees 23 Sept 2012. Notable cold one. Frost in sheltered spots beyond 10am.

Back to here and now, a miserable Saturday.. very humid, very low cloud at times below 200 metres an indication the air is saturated and humid. 

The new week promises plenty of sunshine, something we've seen little of so far this month. Temps also more respectable, struggled on most days to get out of the teens. 21 degrees and sunshine will feel very pleasant indeed. 

Typical Lake District weather that, damp, humid, fells covered in low cloud. I am looking forward to the warmth and sun as well.

On 21/08/2021 at 14:20, Frost HoIIow said:

A slack flow at night and clear skies with this chilly upper air and we could just about manage a first air frost. Has happened in September before. This chart will probably change on the next run though.

gfs-1-312.png?6 

A bit similar to September 2005 when I recorded -1C on two mornings that month. Though that air was slightly colder but not enough to make a massive difference.

archives-2005-9-16-18-1.png

Manchester airport almost got down to 0C

klibild?WMO=03334&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=30092

What a variable month, some nights in the mid teens then a few days later down to ground frost levels.

On 21/08/2021 at 20:15, Weather-history said:

Was any of the models suggesting a lot of rain for the region? 

The argument would be the Met Office are "damned if they do or damned if they don't" but I think the Met Office are issuing warnings a bit too willy-nilly. They original had a thunderstorm warning for today that changed to a rain one. 

The three day thunderstorm warning took the biscuit.  

Yes, I think they are issuing far too many warnings at the moment, which so often fail to verify, I've lost count of the number of times they've issued a yellow thunderstorm warning then not to hear even the faintest rumble. I don't get excited when I see them anymore.

13 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Akin to 'may contain traces of nuts' found on food packaging.  The risk is there, be guarded, but chances are minimal.  I'd worry if this was on a pack of boxer shorts though.

LOL! 

5 hours ago, iand61 said:

The mighty Pennines have done a pretty good job so far in keeping the showers to my east but it started raining 10 minutes ago.

fortunately I got back from a walk 11 minutes ago

My parents were not so lucky... They went on a short walk, started raining quite heavy shortly after they left, arrived back looking like drowned rats.

1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes the forecast looking decent. And very little rain looking at the ensembles. Does make one wonder is the Atlantic slowing down like some scientists think? Day 10 posted an article about this. We're a long way north and this could impact us big time. Might end up with Winters like Newfoundland.

I think you mean the gulf stream? Even with cooler oceans, we still get deep lows in winter, it's just that because the sea will be colder the air temp will also be colder, so more chance that those lows instead of bringing wet and windy weather could deliver widespread blizzards instead.

• Like 4

Posted

Another crappy weekend, highs around 19C, lows around 14C, cloudy, damp, humid, and barely any sun. Typical August weather. Only 4.4 mm of rain in total for Saturday and Sunday so not a washout by any means, but still dissapointing for the time of year. Last weekend was completely overcast and completely dry but only 16/17C.

Gavin Partridge (a weather blogger on YouTube) said this August is likely to be in the top 20 dullest on record, I can beleive that, the month started off sunny with cold nights but that didn't last long. 2011 and 2008 were also in the top 20 dullest, I remember those being dull months as well.

• Like 3

Posted

Last week of August looks pretty good, mean flow from the NE, good for western areas, not so good for eastern areas, not wall to wall sun by any means, but dry and low 20's with sun/clouds Monday-Wednesday which is better than what we've had for most of this month. Later in the week turning a bit cooler as the NE breeze strenthens, but should still feel pleasant enough in the sunshine. No rain forecast at all this week. Yippee! 

Late August/Early September tends to be a good period for weather, have had a lot of holidays around that time in the past and usually had good weather.

• Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think you mean the gulf stream? Even with cooler oceans, we still get deep lows in winter, it's just that because the sea will be colder the air temp will also be colder, so more chance that those lows instead of bringing wet and windy weather could deliver widespread blizzards instead.

We'll get less of those given the gulf stream powers them towards us and warmer water generates more vicious LP systems (Hurricanes an example) The vast majority end up brushing the NW of Scotland in normal service given that's the windiest part of the UK. Then they usually head up the Norwegian sea. If the gulf stream does shut off then we'll likely see more longer lasting blocking HP in areas we want it like Scandinavia, middle of the Atlantic and Greenland. Weaker lows won't barrel through them like when the gulf stream is at full throttle. And in turn we'll get more convective snow like beasts from the east or polar nwly's given we're surrounded by water. Better than being in the middle of a continental that's cold but bone dry.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted

Dry this morning at 5.30 and still quite dark.  Dark at 9pm.  Last snifters now of a dying summer season, my feet will soon be crunching through brown crisp autumn leaves.  Hoping September will be brighter than August for sunny days to draw the last dregs of summer warmth out.  To me, it doesn't seem that long ago we were talking about how cold April was.

• Like 4

Posted

Well, its not raining and I can see blue between the clouds. Could be a good sign.

Suppose I will need to tackle the jungle of a garden when it drys out later this week.

PCR test were all negative except for my eldest.  All of us are having daily lateral flow tests and we have a strict regime to keep him isolated from the rest of us.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Well, its not raining and I can see blue between the clouds. Could be a good sign.

Suppose I will need to tackle the jungle of a garden when it drys out later this week.

PCR test were all negative except for my eldest.  All of us are having daily lateral flow tests and we have a strict regime to keep him isolated from the rest of us.

Glad most of you have tested negative… at least you don’t all have to isolate now… Hope you’re eldest is over it without any symptoms…

My sister and her husband and little son had to isolate for ten days before the recent changes after her husband tested positive after cases at gym… they’re in Somerset… 

lovely blue skies and sunshine ☀️ hopefully a good drying out week 

• Like 3

Posted

Happy Birthday   Snake Pass is 200 years old today.

They've just done an article on BBC radio Manchester 

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Happy Birthday   Snake Pass is 200 years old today.

They've just done an article on BBC radio Manchester 

Saw something on Glossop Facebook page about the snake pass 200th birthday  

21c blue skies lovely ….

plums and apples picked and cleared where fallen, bench sanded ready for painting… pots and flower beds weeded, deadheaded and watered (with miracle grow) phew  

• Like 3

Posted

A nice day, blue sky, sunshine, white clouds, and currently 19C. ?️ Bit of a nagging E breeze, but it isn't spoiling things too much. 

• Like 3