Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I feel your pain, ditto.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A slack flow at night and clear skies with this chilly upper air and we could just about manage a first air frost. Has happened in September before. This chart will probably change on the next run though.

gfs-1-312.png?6 

A bit similar to September 2005 when I recorded -1C on two mornings that month. Though that air was slightly colder but not enough to make a massive difference.

archives-2005-9-16-18-1.png

Manchester airport almost got down to 0C

klibild?WMO=03334&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=30092

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

A slack flow at night and clear skies with this chilly upper air and we could just about manage a first air frost. Has happened in September before. This chart will probably change on the next run though.

gfs-1-312.png?6 

A bit similar to September 2005 when I recorded -1C on two mornings that month. Though that air was slightly colder but not enough to make a massive difference.

archives-2005-9-16-18-1.png

Manchester airport almost got down to 0C

klibild?WMO=03334&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=30092

We recorded -3 degrees 23 Sept 2012. Notable cold one. Frost in sheltered spots beyond 10am.

Back to here and now, a miserable Saturday.. very humid, very low cloud at times below 200 metres an indication the air is saturated and humid. 

The new week promises plenty of sunshine, something we've seen little of so far this month. Temps also more respectable, struggled on most days to get out of the teens. 21 degrees and sunshine will feel very pleasant indeed. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

We recorded -3 degrees 23 Sept 2012. Notable cold one. Frost in sheltered spots beyond 10am.

Back to here and now, a miserable Saturday.. very humid, very low cloud at times below 200 metres an indication the air is saturated and humid. 

The new week promises plenty of sunshine, something we've seen little of so far this month. Temps also more respectable, struggled on most days to get out of the teens. 21 degrees and sunshine will feel very pleasant indeed. 

Late April type setup! cloudless skies for that area, where I'll be stuck under sea mist at 13 degrees at midday

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A bit of nostalgia wouldn't mind a repeat  but not likely to happen though in a warming world, not a chance. This was 3 times better in terms of snow than the 2018 beast round here and that was pretty decent in itself. The snow drifts were insane blowing off the fields in 87. Completely blocking off the lane here, even a 4x4 would have struggled getting through. Unless you are 300m+ we just don't get snow like that anymore.

image.thumb.png.45fbf8886575db8fe01162ff4704c2c8.png

image.thumb.png.1879b42c60f091608095f9aa6f4cfc0a.png

Insane max temps, no higher than -7C on the 11th.

image.thumb.png.0721d3bb0a0c0523b76032493bc74abc.png

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
16 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

A bit of nostalgia wouldn't mind a repeat  but not likely to happen though in a warming world, not a chance. This was 3 times better in terms of snow than the 2018 beast round here and that was pretty decent in itself. The snow drifts were insane blowing off the fields in 87. Completely blocking off the lane here, even a 4x4 would have struggled getting through. Unless you are 300m+ we just don't get snow like that anymore.

image.thumb.png.45fbf8886575db8fe01162ff4704c2c8.png

image.thumb.png.1879b42c60f091608095f9aa6f4cfc0a.png

Insane max temps, no higher than -7C on the 11th.

image.thumb.png.0721d3bb0a0c0523b76032493bc74abc.png

Aye from memory it was pretty damn cold and as you said a lot of snow drifting off the fields but if I remember right, the heaviest snow was down in the far south east, Essex and Kent with some of the worst conditions ever seen.

There is usually a SE bias when it comes to bad weather reporting but on this occasion, it was completely justified.

• Like 5

Posted

After torrential rain earlier only a few showers/drizzle after… felt quite humid in Manchester at 17-19c… nice return to full capacity at football ⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽
did you get your results Had Worse? Hope negative

looking forward to sunshine ☀️ and dry week ahead

• Like 4

Posted
44 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Aye from memory it was pretty damn cold and as you said a lot of snow drifting off the fields but if I remember right, the heaviest snow was down in the far south east, Essex and Kent with some of the worst conditions ever seen.

There is usually a SE bias when it comes to bad weather reporting but on this occasion, it was completely justified.

Here's a thought, what would the met office warnings be like if that were to occur this January? A red? It would be warnings galore. 

Crikey, there were no warnings given back in those days. Today, we were given a rain warning thats look ridiculous now. Still got this evening and early hours to go.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 21/08/2021 at 19:53, Weather-history said:

Here's a thought, what would the met office warnings be like if that were to occur this January? A red? It would be warnings galore. 

Crikey, there were no warnings given back in those days. Today, we were given a rain warning thats look ridiculous now. Still got this evening and early hours to go.

Yeah a rain warning for what. The ground is barely damp now.

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Was any of the models suggesting a lot of rain for the region? 

The argument would be the Met Office are "damned if they do or damned if they don't" but I think the Met Office are issuing warnings a bit too willy-nilly. They original had a thunderstorm warning for today that changed to a rain one. 

The three day thunderstorm warning took the biscuit.  

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A few light to moderate rain showers on and off here during this afternoon. Overcast much of the day, but some breaks appearing in the clouds recently. A very humid day. I note that the metoffice warning changed from 'thunderstorms' to 'rain' earlier and they noted less emphasis on storm risk. Perhaps their data showed potential for something problematic rain wise, but nothing anywhere near significant materialised in this part of the region.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dexter said:

A few light to moderate rain showers on and off here during this afternoon. Overcast much of the day, but some breaks appearing in the clouds recently. A very humid day. I note that the metoffice warning changed from 'thunderstorms' to 'rain' earlier and they noted less emphasis on storm risk. Perhaps their data showed potential for something problematic rain wise, but nothing anywhere near significant materialised in this part of the region.

Tony Gilbert/PJB of UKWeatherworld are the guys for me to take note when it comes to thunderstorm or any other severe weather event. When they make a post, take note especially with PJB. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Pretty sure I heard a distant roll of thunder just now

Wouldn’t be surprised looking at the radar.

It looks like there’s plenty of heavy showers moving up through Cheshire at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Ignore yellow warnings. They equal a 'bit of a weather' nowadays. Risk aversion gone mad...

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted

From around 1am, had a few flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder just south of Macclesfield.  Rain is heavy but not torrential.  All went quiet 10 mins ago.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Was too tired to keep watch. Sounds like i made the right choice shutting my eyes.

• Like 3

Posted

Definite improvement this morning, dry and even a bit of sunshine.

Doubtful it will last but so far, an improvement on yesterday.

• Like 3

Posted

Certainly some heavy showers in the night here, but if there was any thunder and lightning, I slept through it. The weather looks to be settling down this week as high pressure takes control. Perfect timing for me as I'll be heading into the mountains at the end of the week.

• Like 4

Posted
On 22/08/2021 at 00:50, damianslaw said:

Ignore yellow warnings. They equal a 'bit of a weather' nowadays. Risk aversion gone mad...

They are always damned if they do, damned if they don't the metoffice...

At the end of the day, they are just warnings, the yellow being the lowest level and accompanied by a risk matrix clearly showing liklehood and impact. It may not be the popular view, but I don't have a problem with the warnings being issued in this way.

• Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Was too tired to keep watch. Sounds like i made the right choice shutting my eyes.

After the last flash Leek way, it was edging east over Buxton towards Bakewell where radar echoes intensified briefly.   According to Blitzy and radar lightning maps nothing electrical fired up.  So, I don't think you missed anything.  Tracked a storm over St. Albans, Luton and Beds, then I nodded off.

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Dexter said:

They are always damned if they do, damned if they don't the metoffice...

At the end of the day, they are just warnings, the yellow being the lowest level and accompanied by a risk matrix clearly showing liklehood and impact. It may not be the popular view, but I don't have a problem with the warnings being issued in this way.

Akin to 'may contain traces of nuts' found on food packaging.  The risk is there, be guarded, but chances are minimal.  I'd worry if this was on a pack of boxer shorts though.

• Like 5

Posted

Heard a shower with bedroom window open overnight… awoken again by a small bird that came in through open window, managed to let itself out though

• Like 7

Posted
On 22/08/2021 at 09:14, Rush2112 said:

Akin to 'may contain traces of nuts' found on food packaging.  The risk is there, be guarded, but chances are minimal.  I'd worry if this was on a pack of boxer shorts though.

Lol! The best one I saw was an egg box that stated 'may contain traces of egg'!

• Like 6