Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
On 21/10/2021 at 19:04, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

much too soon to look for cold! still wanting warmth and holiday week looks decent with southerly breezes, with warm nights and days!

It's never too soon to look for cold   nah, joking.  My focus now is bright autumnal days and less of the washouts.   Nice start to the week here with blue skies. Dry for now!

Posted
On 25/10/2021 at 08:00, B-C said:

It's never too soon to look for cold   nah, joking.  My focus now is bright autumnal days and less of the washouts.   Nice start to the week here with blue skies. Dry for now!

But have we had many washouts? Hasnt been that much rain in the midlands really. Some rain overnight last night but that aside, hasnt been too bad at all.

Posted
23 hours ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

But have we had many washouts? Hasnt been that much rain in the midlands really. Some rain overnight last night but that aside, hasnt been too bad at all.

Hammering down at 7am this morning. Stopped now

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A dull dark morning with persistent moderate rain with some heavy burst's from time to time.

Temp currently  8.6c

Posted

Winds have realy picked up here now with gale force gusts, looking at the radar there's quite a big squall line moving East not far away..

Temp 9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Anyone here experienced today's tornado ?
Hearing of a likely event that went through Althorpe, Chapel Brampton, 
Burton Latimer and Finedon.  Many trees reported down and c. 1500 without 
electricity.

This also from the BBC news page ..

In Northamptonshire, Earl Charles Spencer said a tornado hit the park at Althorp House and the Reverend Richard Coles described a tornado hitting his church in Finedon.

BBC presenter and former musician Mr Coles tweeted parishioners had been praying for the COP26 conference at St Mary's Church in Finedon "when we were hit by what I can only describe as a tornado".

Northamptonshire Police said it had received more than 200 calls about weather-related incidents, including trees down in Northampton, Cogenhoe, Roade, Towcester, Castle Ashby and on the A5.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

electricity.

In Northamptonshire, Earl Charles Spencer said a tornado hit the park at Althorp House and the Reverend Richard Coles described a tornado hitting his church in Finedon.

BBC presenter and former musician Mr Coles tweeted parishioners had been praying for the COP26 conference at St Mary's Church in Finedon "when we were hit by what I can only describe as a tornado".

Northamptonshire Police said it had received more than 200 calls about weather-related incidents, including trees down in Northampton, Cogenhoe, Roade, Towcester, Castle Ashby and on the A5.

I found a few videos posted online and as far as I can tell straight line winds, still very severe, possibly 80mph gusts in the affected areas. Wittering near Peterborough had 69mph at around 11am according to Metoffice, it doesn't rule out a tornado, but with nearly everyone having a phone with video capability tornadoes are far more likely to be spotted/reported than a few years ago, and nothing has surfaced yet.

I wonder if there are any amateur weather stations in this area with data?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

electricity.

It felt like a hurricane rolled through Wellingborough for a few minutes! Took away our fence, tiles flew off the roof and the big tree in front of our house has come down. Never experienced anything like it, was like one giant continuous gust that kept going then a minute later blue skies and calm. Most houses along the street have some kind of minor damage, everyone had their halloween scare here this year

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Maximum of 9.5 °C today, making this the first single-figure max of the season. It was actually a very pleasant day and perfect for walking: chilly yes, but benign and mostly sunny. I'm more than happy with this kind of weather in November. Shame extensive cloud is more often the order of the day, but I enjoyed today at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Maximum of 9.5 °C today, making this the first single-figure max of the season. It was actually a very pleasant day and perfect for walking: chilly yes, but benign and mostly sunny. I'm more than happy with this kind of weather in November. Shame extensive cloud is more often the order of the day, but I enjoyed today at least.

certainly different day tomorrow, expecting a wet day here, Cheshire Gap streamer day

• Like 1

Posted

Frost today, I think the first one for this winter around here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 hours ago, B-C said:

Frost today, I think the first one for this winter around here. 

We had the 4th frost on the ground, but the second air frost with a minimum of -1.8C at 06:00.

This from a central Solihull location.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I recorded +0.1 °C last night, which was irritating! It was looking odds-on for an air frost, then some light mist rolled in and helped the temp up a degree or so for the rest of the night. So still no air frost for me this season.

Today has been slightly warmer than yesterday (max 12.1 °C) but not as pleasant. Some nice sunny intervals, but also a lot of cloud around, especially this afternoon.

Posted
On 05/11/2021 at 12:13, Midlands Ice Age said:

We had the 4th frost on the ground, but the second air frost with a minimum of -1.8C at 06:00.

This from a central Solihull location.

The other day was the first around here. Not looked much further yet on forecasts etc.. Not going to set my expectations too high  (which i say every year...)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I’m waiting for the first day of winter 01/12 before,,,,well you know me

The street lamppost is ready, my new station is set up, so all I’m waiting on is ❄️candy❄️ Bring it on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, Dancerwithwings said:

The street lamppost is ready, my new station is set up, so all I’m waiting on is ❄️candy❄️ Bring it on

Got my tree trimmed back now, and I'll be there with you all the way.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

doubt we'll be lucky, but days do fall the same as 2010

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

doubt we'll be lucky, but days do fall the same as 2010

All to see fall, let’s hope

• Like 1

Posted

Tues 30th Nov 2010 me bad sport?

bowlers on other team couldn't make it due to the snow, we could so ended up 2 v 1, too late for them to cancel

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 06/11/2021 at 18:02, Dancerwithwings said:

I did mention last weekend that I would wait until the 1st December, but the models are showing eye candy promises, this chart from this evenings ECM is just a absolute WOW!!! and the GFS 18z is just about to kick out, surely it can’t get better

CC38BF5F-D2DF-4DEC-950E-45835F13377B.thumb.jpeg.4fd5eb59e732121a0f80a96bbb72f45d.jpeg

Posted

looks unforecast, can see freezing fog/frost tonight, was meant to be no lower than around 9 degrees

Posted

Just for fun, but if this evenings ECM output is right, in a weeks time it could be exciting times for us that like a flake or two

image.jpeg.c360568b74579081b8cc7a8c1a33f985.jpeg

Posted
On 17/11/2021 at 19:20, Dancerwithwings said:

Just for fun, but if this evenings ECM output is right, in a weeks time it could be exciting times for us that like a flake or two

image.jpeg.c360568b74579081b8cc7a8c1a33f985.jpeg

I prefer the GFS

210_574UKses0.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

I prefer the GFS

210_574UKses0.GIF

So do I, that low is timed great for us! 240 on EC I find a bit bleeurgh too?