Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 11th July onwards

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

The ECM clusters at T192-T240 for the 12z runs:

3BBB1B4D-3063-453E-A603-36E0D905B019.thumb.png.1ac6b6190fa85c47af7e214f6c0079ee.png

Well all of them offer some kind of northerly at some point.  But my interest is in cluster 3 (11 members).  As I’ve been talking about in the run up to winter thread, a 4 wave pattern with a high over the pole is a possibility.  And you can see it here on cluster 3, admittedly not on full NH view like you get on Meteociel but all 3 charts (T192, T216, T240) have those 5 red patches like on a dice, and they aren’t moving are they?  

The start of something???  We will see…

Just posted latest zonal chart in the other thread, not seeing a ragging PV in December... Yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Griff said:

Just posted latest zonal chart in the other thread, not seeing a ragging PV in December... Yet

Anything but, in my view.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Mike Poole said:

Anything but, in my view.

I'm not very good at my attempted reverse psychology (no poker face here), but at the very least no compelling charts otherwise

(If I say it, it won't happen, guaranteed ) 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Today’s 12z Ecm by day 10 doesn’t appear to hold out much promise of a continuation of any northwest/southeast trajectory airflow. All seemed fine in this respect up to day 8 but days 9 and 10 seem to suggest the high possibly taking up residence to the south with the jet stream being pushed back further north FD4DCEE0-7769-4232-88AD-D1DFC862B56C.thumb.jpeg.62f335fd664cf19b94020781b1c3bdaf.jpeg

Edited by Newberryone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

There’s been a discernible firming up for a sustained chilly and unsettled spell across the GFS ensemble members, control and operational. I’ve been looking at the time around day 11/12 to get a feel for the longer term trend, comparing the panel members from 12z yesterday at 288h with the 0z today at 276h, for the 6th November. 

Forgiving some subjectivity on the close calls:

12z yesterday had 10 members bringing the trough through the UK to the south; 5 with the base of the trough crossing the UK, plus the control; 5 with the trough to the east with UK under high pressure, plus the operational. All in all, quite divided, it looked like it was having a bit of a wobble. 

4AE95B96-3917-4C57-9F57-D6AF4D28457A.thumb.png.0482a73c54290a49d3b21bba95daa374.png

0z today again has 10 members bringing the trough through the UK to the south, but this time plus the control and the operational; 6 with the base of the trough crossing the UK; 4 with the trough to the east with UK under high pressure.

8EC14BFD-0E7D-4AEB-B88B-CBE3EB7BE34E.thumb.png.04878ba12340763bbf7cdace011e1e45.png

So the high pressure is typically held back further west on the 0z and the “casting votes” have switched to keeping us under the trough with winds from a northerly quadrant into day 12 and beyond - without doubt an interesting setup for early November. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Things are now starting to look good for an early attack from the North. (if the GFS 06Z operational run is anywhere near correct!)

h500slp.png    h500slp.png

That said, it's now a waiting game. So over tae you, Wollyum:   image.thumb.png.d83a594c3294275869d835efb7663d0c.png

• Like 9

Posted

Tuesday 26 october and a look at the 500 mb anomaly charts

Ec quite a change in a week to now show a marked trough over/just e of the UK. The charts have slowly moved to this from the one above for Wed 20th (not shown here) the contour height is quite low and the mid England contour comes from quite high latitudes, just s of the US Aleutian isles and over the n of the Gt lakes

Noaa has mostly been fairly similar to the ec output (not sure what happened to my copy of 20 Oct, in the same period, both are now more meridional than at times a few days ago but they are both quite consistent in the developing pattern over the last 7 days. Again the NOAA chart has a below average, I believe, contours over the UK and again from fairly northern altitudes.

In spite of UK Met predicting above or near average temperatures, I would have thought, based on these charts, at or somewhat below for most areas. How unsettled is not easy to see but perhaps less settled than unsettled sums it up. NW-SE split in terms of rain and gales, with the SE drier and light winds at times. The 8-14 does not suggest a major change within the 14 day time scale but best to watch the next 3-4 days for confirmation or otherwise!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I only ever look at individual model runs with the Met Office's monthly forecast in mind -- they do, after all, know far more than I ever will. But, anyway, here are the GEFS 06Z temperature ensembles for Cambridgeshire:

t850Cambridgeshire.png    t2mCambridgeshire.png

• Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Tuesday 26 october and a look at the 500 mb anomaly charts

Ec quite a change in a week to now show a marked trough over/just e of the UK. The charts have slowly moved to this from the one above for Wed 20th (not shown here) the contour height is quite low and the mid England contour comes from quite high latitudes, just s of the US Aleutian isles and over the n of the Gt lakes

Noaa has mostly been fairly similar to the ec output (not sure what happened to my copy of 20 Oct, in the same period, both are now more meridional than at times a few days ago but they are both quite consistent in the developing pattern over the last 7 days. Again the NOAA chart has a below average, I believe, contours over the UK and again from fairly northern altitudes.

In spite of UK Met predicting above or near average temperatures, I would have thought, based on these charts, at or somewhat below for most areas. How unsettled is not easy to see but perhaps less settled than unsettled sums it up. NW-SE split in terms of rain and gales, with the SE drier and light winds at times. The 8-14 does not suggest a major change within the 14 day time scale but best to watch the next 3-4 days for confirmation or otherwise!

Good post. Met Office on catch up I feel.. as it always is.. expect changes in text message to average temps at least, but if current models verify they will be below early November average, but the Met office hardly ever says below even when it is happening. 

• Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I only ever look at individual model runs with the Met Office's monthly forecast in mind -- they do, after all, know far more than I ever will. But, anyway, here are the GEFS 06Z temperature ensembles for Cambridgeshire:

t850Cambridgeshire.png    t2mCambridgeshire.png

Hi just a quick comment,Met office changing its thoughts on a average to slightly above to slightly below average to average/first half November. Nothing in weather written in stone.

• Like 5