Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Oh no, I can’t imagine how awful it must be for you to have to walk in a chilly corridor for 10 seconds in shorts and a t-shirt to get to the loo. Perish the thought! 🥶

Yes you’re exactly right. I see too many people starting to winter clothes at this time of year and they’re usually the first to complain when winter arrives and temperatures really take a dip.

CH has made a lot of people soft when it comes to cold, cranking the indoor heating up to Sahara desert levels and complaining that it’s cold when the outside temperature drops below 15°C.

The energy crisis, as terrible as it is might toughen some people up when they are forced to turn down the thermostat this winter.

I prefer the heat and I don’t accuse people or being soft if they can’t handle the heat, so I feel the same should apply to people who feel the cold more than others.

I don’t feel comfortable sitting in a cold flat once the daytime temps outside are struggling to touch 15-16c, and the mornings and evenings are close to 7-9c. It’s chilly enough for me, and doesn’t need to be 0c-5c until I put the heating on. 

It’s not about being soft, as some people suffer from feeling cold and become unwell. I catch colds more when I feel cold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We had the heating on just for around 10 minutes this morning to make sure everything's OK and get the water circulating. Probably won't have it on again now for at least a couple of weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

My heating is set to thermostat all the time.

A couple of mornings it's dropped  below 19 c and it's kicked in.

But I would say it was only on for an hour or so.

I set thermostat to 19 in early  mornings and evenings.

16 c in the day and during night.

• Like 1

Posted

Well we've given in today. New low of 15.4C and no daytime heating today with it being overcast. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s a HMO, so it’s not particularly comfortable when leaving your room to use the toilet or take a shower. 

The landlord is stingy and keeps the heaters off in the corridor. 

Even a mild winter makes the place feel cold. 

What’s a HMO? Do you not have your own on-suite toilet/shower in your studio flat?

13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I prefer the heat and I don’t accuse people or being soft if they can’t handle the heat, so I feel the same should apply to people who feel the cold more than others.

I don’t feel comfortable sitting in a cold flat once the daytime temps outside are struggling to touch 15-16c, and the mornings and evenings are close to 7-9c. It’s chilly enough for me, and doesn’t need to be 0c-5c until I put the heating on. 

It’s not about being soft, as some people suffer from feeling cold and become unwell. I catch colds more when I feel cold.

Fair enough I guess.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Floatylight said:

My heating is set to thermostat all the time.

A couple of mornings it's dropped  below 19 c and it's kicked in.

But I would say it was only on for an hour or so.

I set thermostat to 19 in early  mornings and evenings.

16 c in the day and during night.

More or less the same here. I use the all day setting but perhaps oddly, 16c in mornings and 18 in the evening, as I go to bed, usually after it has turned itself off anyway, as I pass the thermostate I set it to 16 again for next morning 7.30.

I was thinking earlier, what the hell am I worried about. The whole western world is in absolute doom over the energy costs, and I know a huge number are suffering or might suffer, but in the scheme of my budget it's not a huge number. I know that's probably the case for most. I am going to use the fire a bit more this year, but I am also more or less now determined to do as last year and simply pay it over the main winter 6 months and stop worrying, it's contagious due to the press and the internet etc the worry. If I wanted to, I'd stop the old cigs and beer and plenty of other things, but I won't do that (as Meatloaf would sing) so to hell with this worry and hope for the best with Russia and Ukraine for next year. Sorry if I've irritated anyone struggling, but the constant worry is not bloody going to do a thing I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Wood burner is lit, just ticking over, keeping the house at around 20 degrees. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
6 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Heating turned itself on about an hour ago

Same here. Ours was never turned off over the summer but just didn't come on as it wasn't cold enough in the house until today when it came on for around half an hour this evening. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Glad for the burner tonight, village had a power cut @6pm 🤷, power came back on half hour ago, would of been a chilly 2hrs if not, just as the rain and wind rattled through, 🔥

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Same here. Ours was never turned off over the summer but just didn't come on as it wasn't cold enough in the house until today when it came on for around half an hour this evening. 

Same. Just left thermostat to do it's job!

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What’s a HMO? Do you not have your own on-suite toilet/shower in your studio flat?

Fair enough I guess.

HMO is House of multiple occupants.

No, we have communal showers and toilets.

This is why I feel colder during the winter compared to others on this forum. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
14 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

So like the bedsits of old?  I remember my first bedsit in Manchester in the 1980’s.  Lovely house and neighbourhood and lovely big room but by god the house was cold and the ‘communal’ bathroom and toilet were in need of bloody good clean (which I used to do if I was using them) and a bloody good lock.  In the end I joined a gym and showered there.  Then I got a self contained bedsit flat.  Bliss.

• Like 2

Posted
On 30/09/2022 at 15:26, Downburst said:

More or less the same here. I use the all day setting but perhaps oddly, 16c in mornings and 18 in the evening, as I go to bed, usually after it has turned itself off anyway, as I pass the thermostate I set it to 16 again for next morning 7.30.

I was thinking earlier, what the hell am I worried about. The whole western world is in absolute doom over the energy costs, and I know a huge number are suffering or might suffer, but in the scheme of my budget it's not a huge number. I know that's probably the case for most. I am going to use the fire a bit more this year, but I am also more or less now determined to do as last year and simply pay it over the main winter 6 months and stop worrying, it's contagious due to the press and the internet etc the worry. If I wanted to, I'd stop the old cigs and beer and plenty of other things, but I won't do that (as Meatloaf would sing) so to hell with this worry and hope for the best with Russia and Ukraine for next year. Sorry if I've irritated anyone struggling, but the constant worry is not bloody going to do a thing I'm afraid.

The worrying thing is that we don’t know how much they are going to go up. If these huge price increases happen every year (or worse twice a year) then gas and electric could soon become unfordable for most, plunging us back into the Victorian era. I cannot imagine a life without electricity, lighting, kitchen appliances and the internet.

20 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

That must suck. Even when I go on holiday most b&b’s/hotels have en-suites now. You could always just put on a jacket when you go to the bathroom I guess.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

We put our heating on on Wednesday for a short time as we had been on holiday. We are on a prepayment meter, which is a pain going to the shop to keep topping it up. We are deciding on whather to get a standard gas meter put in and go on direct debit but just don't know what to do with the prices.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Finally cut the last of my wood today, drive now clear, log store full and enough kindling for 2 winters, will only need to buy one load of Hardwood logs and hopefully i am set for the upcoming winter, oh and burner lit tonight just ticking away keeping the chill off 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

No heating on here yet, have the family huddling round a candle, after the first air frost we'll light it as a mini celebration 🕯️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
58 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

From a health perspective, WHO recommend indoor temps should not drop below 18 degrees. Lots of guidance states 17 degrees absolute min. If it drops to 16 degrees this is not healthy. Whilst some may cope with 13 degrees etc, this is not good for health.. yes I remember ice in the windows etc, but also remember how uncomfortable it was.

I can remember having an overcoat on top of the bed, the living room was warm , but the rest of the house was like an icebox.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I pressed the button this morning. Took it up to a nice cosy 22. Now 21.

Someone is going to have a very big heating bill this winter...

14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

From a health perspective, WHO recommend indoor temps should not drop below 18 degrees. Lots of guidance states 17 degrees absolute min. If it drops to 16 degrees this is not healthy. Whilst some may cope with 13 degrees etc, this is not good for health.. yes I remember ice in the windows etc, but also remember how uncomfortable it was.

Maybe so but unfortunately a lot of people simply wont be able to afford to heat their house to 18 degrees this winter. Sadly I think we’ll see a big increase in cases/deaths from flu, hypothermia and leukaemia this winter. Which is why I’m hoping we get an exceptionally mild winter this year.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Someone is going to have a very big heating bill this winter...

Maybe so but unfortunately a lot of people simply wont be able to afford to heat their house to 18 degrees this winter. Sadly I think we’ll see a big increase in cases/deaths from flu, hypothermia and leukaemia this winter. Which is why I’m hoping we get an exceptionally mild winter this year.

Reality is an exceptionally mild winter, lets say many weeks with maxes between 7 and 10 degrees won't result in homes warming up to comfortable levels at all. Often mild is combined with dull and wet. Today my flat now is 16.7 degrees, ive had no heating on, outdoor temp is 13.8 degrees. A very mild winter will temper things but only a bit.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The worrying thing is that we don’t know how much they are going to go up. If these huge price increases happen every year (or worse twice a year) then gas and electric could soon become unfordable for most, plunging us back into the Victorian era. I cannot imagine a life without electricity, lighting, kitchen appliances and the internet.

That must suck. Even when I go on holiday most b&b’s/hotels have en-suites now. You could always just put on a jacket when you go to the bathroom I guess.

I’ll explain in more detail when I return from my holiday.

Currently in southern Sardinia, so a different area to where we were in June.

29c sunny and a nice breeze here.

14 hours ago, 78/79 said:

I can remember having an overcoat on top of the bed, the living room was warm , but the rest of the house was like an icebox.

I don’t think many people want to return to the pre 2000 conditions. I remember how cold our old flat was back in the 90s. You could see your breath in the bedroom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Shouldn't need heating for some time. The outlook is, mercifully, quite mild so the boiler is having a rest.