Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted

Got down to 16.2C this morning, think I can hold out until below 15C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Not yet... but haven't had windows open at length for quite a few days now, which normally don't stop doing until well into October.

We usually open ours a little bit even during the winter just to ventilate the house. Bedroom window gets opened for at least 20 minutes a day all year round just for a bit of ventilation. The house can get a bit fusty if we don’t.

55 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Got down to 16.2C this morning, think I can hold out until below 15C.

Some hardy folk on this thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Considering lighting the fire in the living room.

Bit chilly ...

Not heating whole house yet though..

Hello BTW I am back after summer hibernation lol.

Posted

I’ve been seeing a lot of adverts recently for this “ultraheat pro” product. It’s this mini electrical heater that you plug into your wall and claims to significantly warm up a room whithin minutes... It also claims that it’s cheaper than running CH and saves hundreds on your energy bills.. All sounds a bit too good to be true... Looks a bit scammy to me..

Wondering what others think?

1EAC0E19-13D4-4D59-A7D0-9F49902D6681.jpeg

D41B561A-63C6-485C-BA2E-1F4594B6AF7D.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

We usually open ours a little bit even during the winter just to ventilate the house. Bedroom window gets opened for at least 20 minutes a day all year round just for a bit of ventilation. The house can get a bit fusty if we don’t.

Some hardy folk on this thread.

Indeed… but I mean at length. For half the year they’re open most of the time. In the colder months only for very short periods for air flow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
On 26/09/2022 at 11:24, Ed Stone said:

I've been trying to make an arrangement for eon to come and fit my smartmeters; what a pity their 0808# shuts off a second after it connects. I smell a money-spinning telephone scam!

No, Scottish power the same…..

Posted

I've been Soooo close today but resisted! That said ... It did turn itself on for 20 mins an hour ago so must have dropped.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’ve been seeing a lot of adverts recently for this “ultraheat pro” product. It’s this mini electrical heater that you plug into your wall and claims to significantly warm up a room whithin minutes... It also claims that it’s cheaper than running CH and saves hundreds on your energy bills.. All sounds a bit too good to be true... Looks a bit scammy to me..

Are they from Germany? I read some reviews about them, and they are potentially quite dangerous.

8 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Considering lighting the fire in the living room.

Bit chilly ...

Not heating whole house yet though..

Hello BTW I am back after summer hibernation lol.

I want to go to bed now and not wake up until the end of March.

I utterly despise this period we are heading into. There’s nothing to look forward to, just 6 months of dreadful darkness and grey dreary damp weather.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I miss the 30c plus heat. And that lovely 34c and 40c seems like 6 months ago now.

Flat feels nice and warm, had the heating on for the past 2 hours. 

What temperature you got it at?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Are they from Germany? I read some reviews about them, and they are potentially quite dangerous.

I utterly despise this period we are heading into. There’s nothing to look forward to, just 6 months of dreadful darkness and grey dreary damp weather.

Each to their own but the next 6 months are going to be bliss and a relief for me. I'm finally not sweating after that dreadful hot summer that seemed never ending and now able to cool down without having to have the bedroom air con switched on.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Still not cold enough. 4c outside and a bout 18c inside. Long way to go yet.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

What temperature you got it at?

I have it set to 21-22c in the flat to make it comfortable. 17c is ok for when we are sleeping. 

4c this morning, and it’s going on now for a short while. It’s cold enough, despite still being September. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

No CH Here, I like a chilly flat as then we can wrap up warm in blankets and thick dressing gowns. Can't do that if it's warm inside!

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I have it set to 21-22c in the flat to make it comfortable. 17c is ok for when we are sleeping. 

4c this morning, and it’s going on now for a short while. It’s cold enough, despite still being September. 

Similar to how we like it then. 22c is my preferred but trying to hold out to upping it until October. I've not put it on yet still. Just ... It came on itself this morning though. But yea ours is 18 over night.

Posted

ours is set to 17'c during the day and it's completely off at night.

it's a big ,draughty Victorian house with open fires, so it's alway cool in winter and summer

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

First off whatever makes you comfortable is the main thing. But without running over basic school physics I am sure you and everyone else knows that converting electrical energy into heat energy, well the physics haven't changed. A fan heater will move the heat around more quickly than and oil filled radiator and will give off heat more quickly. Perhaps if you live in poorly insulted house this is needed to give a quick boost, otherwise in a normal house I would use an oil-filled heater on low. But basic point is it's the same energy is released within a whisker in any device as the watts of the unit, just energy coming out of the mains, no magic possible I am afraid.

• Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Similar to how we like it then. 22c is my preferred but trying to hold out to upping it until October. I've not put it on yet still. Just ... It came on itself this morning though. But yea ours is 18 over night.

We just have it on for short periods at the moment, to take the chill off. 

By mid October though it will be on more or less all day if we are at home, with leaving it off for a few hours here and there. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
19 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Have purchased something similar from Amazon. Has two heat settings low = 1000kwh high=1500kwh. On testing you do get instant heat and the room went up by a 1.5c in around 15 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Have purchased something similar from Amazon. Has two heat settings low = 1000kwh high=1500kwh. On testing you do get instant heat and the room went up by a 1.5c in around 15 minutes. 

I'm also considering buying something like that, but not until the next CoL payment comes through. Always assuming that Kwase hasn't flushed it down the Carsie!😁

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I miss the 30c plus heat. And that lovely 34c and 40c seems like 6 months ago now.

Flat feels nice and warm, had the heating on for the past 2 hours. 

While I certainly don’t miss the extreme heat we had in July and the week of hot and sunny weather we had in August, I do miss the 18-22°C days we had in summer, where you could comfortably wear shorts and a t-shirt both inside and outside. Can’t do that now. 

14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll have to look into it more. I couldn’t agree more. The period from late October to late February is grim, especially up north where its even colder, darker and wetter.

12 hours ago, Hammer50 said:

Don’t intend to put it on until it gets to minus 5.

Lol.

12 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Each to their own but the next 6 months are going to be bliss and a relief for me. I'm finally not sweating after that dreadful hot summer that seemed never ending and now able to cool down without having to have the bedroom air con switched on.

I’m surprised you say that as up north the summer wasn’t that hot really. Other than the two extremely hot days in July and the week of hot weather in August it was mostly temperate in the high teens and low twenties. While I did feel warm a lot of the time it was rarely unbearable, and I don’t have any air con, just a little desk fan in my bedroom. Just wearing light clothing and opening the windows was enough for me.  It was similar to last summer really, warmer and drier than average but not exceptionally so. 

We have definitely had hotter summers, summer 2018 felt much hotter to me, June and July were both warmer and sunnier than this year here, although August was cooler.

6 hours ago, simshady said:

Still not cold enough. 4c outside and a bout 18c inside. Long way to go yet.

Where are you where it’s 4°C outside? Currently 12°C here.

5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

If my house was 21-22°C I’d be in shorts and a t-shirt. Only when it drops below 20 do I usually put a jumper or hoodie on. The heating is set to around 18 degrees in our house, in the mornings and evenings only, it is off during the middle of the day and at night. 21-22°C is what our house is usually at during the middle of summer!

4 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Definitely the southerners on here that like it hot in summer and like warm indoor temps. Ours is set to around 18C during the day and is set to 5C at night lol.. It’s enough for us, jumpers during the day, winter duvet at night, and also being 15 stone helps, lol...

3 hours ago, Downburst said:

First off whatever makes you comfortable is the main thing. But without running over basic school physics I am sure you and everyone else knows that converting electrical energy into heat energy, well the physics haven't changed. A fan heater will move the heat around more quickly than and oil filled radiator and will give off heat more quickly. Perhaps if you live in poorly insulted house this is needed to give a quick boost, otherwise in a normal house I would use an oil-filled heater on low. But basic point is it's the same energy is released within a whisker in any device as the watts of the unit, just energy coming out of the mains, no magic possible I am afraid.

Yes you are probably right, knew it sounded too good to be true! 😠I think they are just trying to make a quick buck off desperate people struggling with their energy bills.

3 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Is it cheaper than running the central heating though? 🤔

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Definitely the southerners on here that like it hot in summer and like warm indoor temps. Ours is set to around 18C during the day and is set to 5C at night lol.. It’s enough for us, jumpers during the day, winter duvet at night, and also being 15 stone helps, lol...

Guess it's what everyone is used to. It's warmer down here. That said my MIL in Blackburn has her heating on all year round! Her is set to 18 though too. But she is always getting up and turning it on manually. Oh I don't want a winter duvet at night I would die of heat lol. Ah See i'm more than half your weight. I'm as skinny as a rake and only 7stone. No fat on me! Just can't put weight on!

• Like 1