Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's still 23c in my place, coolest it's been since before summer but still no need for the heating, Typically don't turn it on until it drops below about 17c, until then I just stick on an extra layer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
19 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Only works up to a point I find. In theory yes you could continue to just wear more and more layers until you look like the Michelin man but then who wants to dress like an eskimo around the house? I’m all for wearing a jumper before putting putting the heating on, but if once you’re wearing a jumper and you’re still cold it’s time for the heating to go on, unless you really can’t afford to, in which case, you may be forced to wear 10 layers in the house all winter or make drastic spending cuts elsewhere.

Also, not only does central heating keep the house warmer, it also reduces dampness (humidity). If you don’t put your heating on in winter, you will probably have problems with damp and mould, and that is not healthy. Then there’s elderly people and people with certain health conditions that need the heating on warmer. Older people feel the cold more. That’s why old folks homes are always really warm. 

Ive also never used antibiotics before, always just let my immune system do it’s thing. I’m no softie when it comes to heating, I’m fine down to 18°C, 17°C at a push but really don’t like it when it drops below that. Some people have thier heating at 24°C! 😮 Now that is soft!

We didn't get central heating until 1996 and no double glazing until 1998. Before then we had a gas fire in the living room but no heating source anywhere else in the house. It was freezing at times for sure and had ice on the insides of the bedroom window during colder winters before we got double glazing but once under the duvet it was warm enough and didn't do us any harm. When at home we spent most of our time in the living room away from the cold rooms with the gas fire on which was super warm. 

• Like 2

Posted
On 20/09/2022 at 22:33, East Lancs Rain said:

I have recently started taking cold showers too.  Not because of electric bills but because it helps me to feel less tired in the morning. It also has big health benefits too. It has helped to increase my tolerance to cold water and probably cold in general. Still using hot water to wash my hands though, that is a must for me. 

Seeing a lot of people wearing coats now. I always think it’s a mistake to wear a coat too early in the autumn, because you don’t give your body chance to acclimatise to the colder temperatures - if you wear a coat now then you’ve got nothing in reserve for when it really gets cold. I’m fine in a t-shirt and a hoodie at the moment, and still wearing shorts on some days. I always try and hold out until at least early November before wearing a winter coat.

For me I don't think I have really seen any health benefits other than maybe slightly clearer skin. But it has helped with determination/willpower/avoiding procrastination/just getting on with doing things. I don't even think about it being cold anymore. I just stand under the shower and turn the cold tap on. After 5 seconds it doesn't really seem that cold anymore and I wonder why the water even needs to be warm.

Will help with saving water as well as I just get on with washing myself and get out of there instead of standing in it for ages. And as you say it wakes you up in the morning.

EDF sent me yet another letter asking for meter readings despite putting in for readings over the last two weeks. They did accept my readings on my last bill but obviously must think I am putting in dodgy readings. Going to leave the smart thermostat to still do its thing as normal.

• Like 1

Posted

If you have a damp and mouldy flat like us, you have to put the heating on once it starts getting chilly.

No amount of extra layers will help, if we end up breathing in damp mouldy air, which in turn can lead to serious health problems.

• Like 2

Posted

Isn't mould and damp a lot worse in summer when it's warm and humid?

With the decent temperatures it's back to short sleeves indoors (19.6 now, the highest it's been in a couple of weeks). Hopefully can hold out on heating until later in October but next week will be a test with highs barely making the teens.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Isn't mould and damp a lot worse in summer when it's warm and humid?

With the decent temperatures it's back to short sleeves indoors (19.6 now, the highest it's been in a couple of weeks). Hopefully can hold out on heating until later in October but next week will be a test with highs barely making the teens.

No, we don’t get the damp problem in warm and humid days during the summer.

Its usually a problem once temps outside drop to 16c or below and the air becomes damp and cool. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 22/09/2022 at 08:02, Brucie said:

I also feel that people tend to rely too much on heating.  I see loads of people around here walking around outside and inside in shorts and t shirts even in the depths of winter, and then come home to the comfort of a heated house.

Yes, quite a lot of people have a genuine need to keep warm (these are the ones who we need to think and worry about) but those who just take heating for granted cause:

a)  increase in personal expense on heating 

b)  needless pressure on national grid 

c)  unnecessary carbon footprint

Just use your sense and put some more layers on when your house is moderately chilly (15c). Below 13c, even I might think again though!!

David,  Northallerton 

There is some evidence that leans towards heating your home essential for good health, and 13 to 15c is not good for your cardiovascular health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK535294/#:~:text=The certainty of the evidence that warming a cold house,by different types of insulation.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Well I've just ordered firewood for this winter, will probably try to rely on that more than the central heating this year - if we can.  I expect we'll have the central heating on for an hour in the morning when we wake up, and then use the wood burning stoves in the evening, which heat the downstairs nicely.  The later might see action next week, depending how cold it gets, but otherwise I expect a good few more weeks before our heating starts to see regular use. 

I stuck the electric radiator on in my outdoor office for an hour to warm it up a couple of morning's this week.  The building has been very well insulated, so it tends to stay quite warm for most of the working day after that, at least at this time of year.  When the temps are down in single digits, it needs a bit more of a boost occasionally. 

Unsurprisingly, I find when I'm sitting at my desk working is when I feel cold because I'm not moving about.      

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 hours ago, richie3846 said:

There is some evidence that leans towards heating your home essential for good health, and 13 to 15c is not good for your cardiovascular health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK535294/#:~:text=The certainty of the evidence that warming a cold house,by different types of insulation.

There is some truth to what you say, I never felt the cold until having my Heart Attack at 54.  I now take 4 tablets a day including Aspirin and Beta Blocker ,and it's totally different.  I feel the cold a lot more than I used to . Being nearly 63 probably doesn't help a lot either.

I've just lit the wood burner.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Not yet  my house is modern so well insulated though my old Victorian 5 bedroom 3 story house would have been freezing by the end of July   lol,  Though I suspect the wife will fail and it will be on by the end of the weekend 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Just ordered another 300kg of coal today and that should do us until the end of the year, into early next year as we've about 200kg left...

We've a bulk bag of kiln dried birch and I'll pop up the nurseries that we get the wood from at some point to get some kiln dried ash too as that burns hot & long; whereas the birch burns hot but goes quickly too

Think we'll be avoiding using the central heating as much as we can (it'll probably be on in the morning) and then the fire will keep downstairs nice and warm for us; prefer a colder upstairs etc...

As I work from home all week I feel it more; my office at the back of the house gets no direct sunlight at all and can be cold in the summer, never mind over winter etc; so the fire will be lit regularly once temps start to properly drop...

This also means we won't use the tumble drier at all; living room turns into the dry-house in the evenings with the clothes maidens up and the washing out to dry 😂

We can afford to pay the bills; doesn't mean we're happy to!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dan B said:

Just ordered another 300kg of coal today and that should do us until the end of the year, into early next year as we've about 200kg left...

We've a bulk bag of kiln dried birch and I'll pop up the nurseries that we get the wood from at some point to get some kiln dried ash too as that burns hot & long; whereas the birch burns hot but goes quickly too

Think we'll be avoiding using the central heating as much as we can (it'll probably be on in the morning) and then the fire will keep downstairs nice and warm for us; prefer a colder upstairs etc...

As I work from home all week I feel it more; my office at the back of the house gets no direct sunlight at all and can be cold in the summer, never mind over winter etc; so the fire will be lit regularly once temps start to properly drop...

This also means we won't use the tumble drier at all; living room turns into the dry-house in the evenings with the clothes maidens up and the washing out to dry 😂

We can afford to pay the bills; doesn't mean we're happy to!

We're thinking along the same lines, heating on for an hour in the morning, then wood burner in the evening. EDF sent me an Email saying that my gas  and electricity was increasing by £600 per year. Well, I've got news for them, it damn well wont.  There's plenty of wood lying around on verges etc   free heat.

Bunch of poxy spivs , that's it rant over😀

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

My log burners lit, just on low but i am only burning off cuts that i have gathered through summer, free heat! and it warms the water as well, won't touch the hardwood logs or smokeless coal until it gets 'proper' cold, i don't have central heating in my old cottage, so its log burner or nowt,

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 5

Posted

Temps around 19/20c here last few days; even now it's 14c outside. Absolutely no need for heating on at mo.

My usual 'target' of heating going on for late Oct looks safe.

Latest utility bill of £150 in credit (21 Sept) means Winter cold will be no prob at all👍.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

My log burners lit, just on low but i am only burning off cuts that i have gathered through summer, free heat! and it warms the water as well, won't touch the hardwood logs or smokeless coal until it gets 'proper' cold,

I picked up a 6ft length of beech about 4 inches diameter  whilst out walking the dog, nice and dry with the bark all but gone. That'll do me for an evening.

I'll probably stick the chainsaw in the van and have a drive around over the weekend, I  usually  pick up a decent van load'

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
6 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

I picked up a 6ft length of beech about 4 inches diameter  whilst out walking the dog, nice and dry with the bark all but gone. That'll do me for an evening.

I'll probably stick the chainsaw in the van and have a drive around over the weekend, I  usually  pick up a decent van load'

I never pass up the opportunity for free wood, might take me a few weekends over summer to cut it all up but if my cottage is warm in winter for free, i will happily get my chainsaw/chop saw out and fill the log store 😁

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We will probably end up putting our heating on next week for just about an hour or so, as the weather is looking to be cool and rather unsettled at times. My father has arthritis so needless to say, he feels the damp easily particularly when it is cool as well.

If I was living on my own, I might not bother having it on.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
20 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

I never pass up the opportunity for free wood, might take me a few weekends over summer to cut it all up but if my cottage is warm in winter for free, i will happily get my chainsaw/chop saw out and fill the log store 😁

Had a tree surgeon look at a big fir in our garden that had a bit of a lean on it a year or two ago. He thought it looked fairly secure but quoted over £700 to take it down and cut it into lengths, probably cos he wanted to use ropes rather than just bring it down on the grass.

We'll there was no way we were paying that, and one of the storms last winter did the job, bringing it down. Took out a section of fence but otherwise nice an neat, and even got the root ball out as it was shockingly small.

Took me a few weekends with a chainsaw to debranch and cut the main trunk up, but for the cost of my time and replacement chainsaw chains I have plenty of wood for the log burner. This morning I finished cutting up the bigger branches that have been piled behind the garage since spring, and all the logs are now neatly stacked and covered. It'll do for next winter as most of it still needs split and we've plenty of bought stuff in the wood stores as we didn't use as much as anticipated last winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Very nice and comfortable 16c both upstairs and downstairs, from the outlook little or no chance of me having to put heating on for the foreseeable. Weirdness and living in a house without a member of the fairer sex really does help to keep one's energy bills down! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
51 minutes ago, markyo said:

Very nice and comfortable 16c both upstairs and downstairs, from the outlook little or no chance of me having to put heating on for the foreseeable. Weirdness and living in a house without a member of the fairer sex really does help to keep one's energy bills down! 

The fairer sex but never been fair on my wallet 😂🤐

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

🤣

• Like 1