Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Wood burner on tick over this evening , a comfortable 20  degrees in the lounge.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
14 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Wood burner on tick over this evening , a comfortable 20  degrees in the lounge.

Same here, just burning some off cuts, nice and warm down stairs.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
53 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

36 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Same here, just burning some off cuts, nice and warm down stairs.

I had mine on a couple of times last week but haven’t felt I have needed to light it again since.  Think the temperatures may be about to start dipping so will probably need to get it going again soon.  I ordered my smokeless fuel 3 weeks ago and the local depot is so far behind on deliveries I still haven’t received it! 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

I had mine on a couple of times last week but haven’t felt I have needed to light it again since.  Think the temperatures may be about to start dipping so will probably need to get it going again soon.  I ordered my smokeless fuel 3 weeks ago and the local depot is so far behind on deliveries I still haven’t received it! 

Smokeless price has rocketed from last year and is in high demand, fortunately i have enough free wood to see me through to xmas before i need to touch the logs and i will only use my smokeless fuel if it gets proper cold!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 02/10/2022 at 12:20, damianslaw said:

Reality is an exceptionally mild winter, lets say many weeks with maxes between 7 and 10 degrees won't result in homes warming up to comfortable levels at all. Often mild is combined with dull and wet. Today my flat now is 16.7 degrees, ive had no heating on, outdoor temp is 13.8 degrees. A very mild winter will temper things but only a bit.

7-10 degree maxes is average winter temps for the south these days. So more like 10-13°C in the South during an exceptionally mild winter. Which may well be enough to keep a modern, well insulated house around 18 degrees. A mild winter will definitely help out anyway. The last thing we need is a cold winter this year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
22 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

Smokeless price has rocketed from last year and is in high demand, fortunately i have enough free wood to see me through to xmas before i need to touch the logs and i will only use my smokeless fuel if it gets proper cold!

A trip out in the van with the chainsaw will probably be on the cards this weekend W.T, plenty of fallen limbs about on the verges if you know where to look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

A trip out in the van with the chainsaw will probably be on the cards this weekend W.T, plenty of fallen limbs about on the verges if you know where to look.

My bro tonight has dropped a few sack's full of logs/fallen limbs that he gathered up from the farm track at the back of his house, he is handier with a chainsaw than me, so he cut them as well 😁 plenty of free wood about like you say,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Fired up the Watson (oil central heating/cooking thing like aga Rayburn hybrid) Wednesday lunchtime and evening for an hour  when oil Delivery arrived.  House reverting to its damp cool stage with lack of sun heat (slate walls).  Bliss!  Has helped hold internal temps since.  With current mild temps we are ok, but will probs put on hour am and pm from next week.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Zero need for heating at the moment. Most rooms are 20 - 21°C.

I like a challenge, and with the energy crisis, I am going to see if I can go the rest of autumn and as much of winter without any heating on.  Or, to keep it off for as many days as possible, depending if there's any deep freeze, which is unlikely here.

Posted

I may be a big old wossy with the cold ... But my challenge to myself is to survive on 21c. I've upped it to 22 twice when it was colder weather last week. But nope I'm gonna try make do with this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
22 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I may be a big old wossy with the cold ... But my challenge to myself is to survive on 21c. I've upped it to 22 twice when it was colder weather last week. But nope I'm gonna try make do with this!

My bungalow is on 16.5 at the moment.  If I do use the CH I turn it down when it reaches 20c.  The thermostat in the hall can get to 25c with the burner running.  I’ll get it going again in the morning as mum is visiting and I need to get it all warm for her 🤗

• Like 2

Posted

Opened some windows for fresh air on my cottage before i went to work this morn, so it was a bit chilly inside when i got home, burner lit at 19.30 nice n toasty now 😁

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Madness after their nutty era. The more soulful side of Madness.

Wrong thread 😂😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Haven't had the heating on since around the 20th of March, I would like to hold off until the end of this month if possible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not even the merest smidge of heating on here: indoors or outdoors, it's vest and jogging pants. Not that I jog anywhere!😁

I think I've contracted acute markyolitis. Thanks @markyo -- it sure saves money!👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Need to make friends with a Sith Lord before winter, they can generate their own electricity you know.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Oh damn, wrong thread lol. 

Must be the heat in Sardinia?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
23 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Wrong thread 😂😂

Yeah, you don’t know that thread anymore tho 😉😆

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Have not had my boiler on for the last 14 days…on hol for 10 days & expected house to be cold on my return. Had a dodgy fuel (wood pellet) delivery whilst away which has prevented me from turning the boiler back on once I got home.  Surprisingly I’m managing with no heating, no hot water with just a warm jumper on, two Labradors & a throw to keep me warm of an evening. I’m even resisting the urge to light the fire when it’s damp. It’s temping but I’m holding out as much as I can….indoor temps are around 17/18c.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Must be the heat in Sardinia?

Lol yeah.

The thing is, it’s hot during the day, but by 7pm the temp drops off quickly and feels quite cool despite still being 21c. 

The villa is nice and warm though, from the heat during the day. 

Been hot and sunny all week, 26-29c, but with a storm predicted for Sunday on the day we fly back.

Posted

Type of accommodation you reside in makes big difference to indoor temp. Older properties especially large detached ones really do lose heat very quick, compared to a modern top floor flat.. 

Ive given in this evening, its an old big house, its west north facing big bay window and very open to the west in aspect. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/10/2022 at 12:20, damianslaw said:

Reality is an exceptionally mild winter, lets say many weeks with maxes between 7 and 10 degrees won't result in homes warming up to comfortable levels at all. Often mild is combined with dull and wet. Today my flat now is 16.7 degrees, ive had no heating on, outdoor temp is 13.8 degrees. A very mild winter will temper things but only a bit.

Far more important than a mild winter will be a milder 2nd half of Autumn and an early warm spring. As you say unless it really is an exceptional winter most of the country's houses are still going to need considerable heating if they want to keep it at a reasonable level. A warm early spring and warmer end of Autumn however contracts the time needed to be running the heating

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol yeah.

The thing is, it’s hot during the day, but by 7pm the temp drops off quickly and feels quite cool despite still being 21c. 

The villa is nice and warm though, from the heat during the day. 

Been hot and sunny all week, 26-29c, but with a storm predicted for Sunday on the day we fly back.

Those temps sound great! It must be great having your own Villa and not having to share the 'facilities' like you do back home in your 'HOMO'?

Edited by Wold Topper

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Oh damn, wrong thread lol. 

I was wondering what this had to do with heating!! 😕 🤣

And just to keep it on topic, heating upstairs remains off!

• Like 1