Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Slug

Temp in my house is currently 16C so gonna get cold soon, I’m trying to keep the heating off but it’s hard as i have poor circulation so it means i can feel hot or freezing at 22C or i can feel like death at 15C or warm.  It depends on my blood that day.  

Now would be the time to grow a coat of fur like my wolf counterpart or just shift into a fox or werewolf whilst I’m in the house, stay snug then 😂 ⚡🦊⚡🐺

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
18 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Not even the merest smidge of heating on here: indoors or outdoors, it's vest and jogging pants. Not that I jog anywhere!😁

I think I've contracted acute markyolitis. Thanks @markyo -- it sure saves money!👍

Have you windows open and fans on?....if not don't worry, sounds like a very mild case!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

Have you windows open and fans on?....if not don't worry, sounds like a very mild case!

I do have a window open, yes. But my fan broke down after my cat peaced on it!😬

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

I do have a window open, yes. But my fan broke down after my cat peaced on it!😬

I'm sure treatment will be available somewhere...sadly not for myself, i'm a lost cause.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Yes. Today's the first day it's going on since spring. Won't get over 16 inside. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

still holding on here..blimey its mid October usually had our first ice day by now and some snow..24c tomorrow..might squeeze out another week..before it looks like the cold will come barreling in with snow and sub zero temps

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Hallway temp is 60f so it comes on for a short while then off again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Heating has clicked on once or twice in the mornings for an hour, thermostat is set to 15c at the moment.  

We’ve had one of the stoves going in the evenings for the last week, it’s nice and toasty and keeps the central off.  I think we can probably just stay that way for winter now.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

@Wold Topper You were saying about smokeless fuel being in high demand.  I ordered mine 22nd September and I have chased the delivery up this morning and I am still up to 15 days away from having it delivered 😳

The lady I spoke to also said she had tried to get a chimney sweep in to do her chimney and was told he was booked up until February! 

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
49 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

@Wold Topper You were saying about smokeless fuel being in high demand.  I ordered mine 22nd September and I have chased the delivery up this morning and I am still up to 15 days away from having it delivered 😳

The lady I spoke to also said she had tried to get a chimney sweep in to do her chimney and was told he was booked up until February! 

Oh.... i haven't booked my chimney sweep yet 😳 best get on the phone!!👍

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Yes, an hour in the morning now and if there’s been no sun on the house, an hour between 6-7pm before the log burner goes on for the evening. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
58 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Oh.... i haven't booked my chimney sweep yet 😳 best get on the phone!!👍

hopefully you have better luck than the girl I spoke to this morning.  It seems increasing numbers of those able to are opening up chimneys. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

The woodburner has been on a few times this autumn but the central heating remains unbusy. Bright sunny days are warming the house for free. Very unusual for this part of the country.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

It's go on for about an hour this afternoon as it's not going to reach 17 otherwise.

• Like 1

Posted
On 18/09/2022 at 17:09, halny said:

Last night was my first night without air conditioning since some time in May.

It was a beautiful 24°C max, 9°C min today.

I reckon I have a month before the heating comes on, but to save money I'll try to stretch to November and make do with electric blankets.

One month on, it's still in the low-to-mid 20s C for another week here at 46°N in the Italian Alps. I'm less than 400 miles south of London latitude-wise, so you'd think it'd be cooler.

It only dips to 21°C in the mornings in the living room, so not even the electric blankets have had much use yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
8 minutes ago, halny said:

One month on, it's still in the low-to-mid 20s C for another week here at 46°N in the Italian Alps. I'm less than 400 miles south of London latitude-wise, so you'd think it'd be cooler.

It only dips to 21°C in the mornings in the living room, so not even the electric blankets have had much use yet.

Can we have an ‘envy’ widget? Cos you would win my vote for top places to be in the universe.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Can we have an ‘envy’ widget? Cos you would win my vote for top places to be in the universe. 

Agree and would recommend. Always found Wales beautiful, though.

What I save on heating now, I've spent on AC. July's high of 33°C was a brutal 6° above the long term average.

Edited by halny
Conciseness

Posted
On 13/10/2022 at 14:39, Hammer50 said:

No way yet.

Agree totally, not even close for any heating on at all, bedroom windows open all night with fans still on....ok i agree i am a little different to most folk!😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, halny said:

46°N is quite a way south though so the sun should still have a bit of kick to it, enough to lift temps. You do tend to hang on to the warm air a bit longer than here further north as you are naturally closer to the warmer air masses. Your not a million miles from the precipice of being closer to the Equator than the North Pole. Anywhere south of 45°N is closer to the Equator than the North Pole.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

46°N is quite a way south though so the sun should still have a bit of kick to it

Indeed, but still north of the capital of Canada!

You're right, though. It's nearer the warm air masses and the sun still does have a kick. Even in winter, the mountains usually block the fog and stratus, so the sun is noticeably warm then too, even if the air isn't.

Anyway, when I saw my gas bill last year, I almost died, so I'm leaving it as late as possible this year.

• Like 1

Posted

I've said before, all homes are different in terms of the extent to which they retain heat, also the type of energy source you have.  Location is key as well. Personal circumstance also a factor. 

Those saying can keep it off a long time are very fortunate indeed.