Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m surprised you say that as up north the summer wasn’t that hot really. Other than the two extremely hot days in July and the week of hot weather in August it was mostly temperate in the high teens and low twenties. While I did feel warm a lot of the time it was rarely unbearable, and I don’t have any air con, just a little desk fan in my bedroom. Just wearing light clothing and opening the windows was enough for me.  It was similar to last summer really, warmer and drier than average but not exceptionally so. 

Yes warmer than average and average is around 20C so we've spent most of the summer higher than that. We spend most of our time indoors and above average temps with the strong sun can send temps indoors a good few Celsius higher than that. Until recently it was consistently above 20C+ indoors throughout July, August and early September. Which is basically like having the heating on. That warmth is enough for me to sweat unless I'm in shorts and t shirt all the time which mitigates it a bit. Now it's more like 15-18C inside without the heating on. Hence no more sweating.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Weird, just discovered the heating was on and turned it off. The electrician who was here earlier must have put in on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

forget the heating i have had to turn the Aircon back on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ThunderHellCat said:

Weird, just discovered the heating was on and turned it off. The electrician who was here earlier must have put in on.

Think they owe you a discount for doing that!! 😜

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

While I certainly don’t miss the extreme heat we had in July and the week of hot and sunny weather we had in August, I do miss the 18-22°C days we had in summer, where you could comfortably wear shorts and a t-shirt both inside and outside. Can’t do that now. 

I’ll have to look into it more. I couldn’t agree more. The period from late October to late February is grim, especially up north where its even colder, darker and wetter.

Lol.

I’m surprised you say that as up north the summer wasn’t that hot really. Other than the two extremely hot days in July and the week of hot weather in August it was mostly temperate in the high teens and low twenties. While I did feel warm a lot of the time it was rarely unbearable, and I don’t have any air con, just a little desk fan in my bedroom. Just wearing light clothing and opening the windows was enough for me.  It was similar to last summer really, warmer and drier than average but not exceptionally so. 

We have definitely had hotter summers, summer 2018 felt much hotter to me, June and July were both warmer and sunnier than this year here, although August was cooler.

Where are you where it’s 4°C outside? Currently 12°C here.

If my house was 21-22°C I’d be in shorts and a t-shirt. Only when it drops below 20 do I usually put a jumper or hoodie on. The heating is set to around 18 degrees in our house, in the mornings and evenings only, it is off during the middle of the day and at night. 21-22°C is what our house is usually at during the middle of summer!

Definitely the southerners on here that like it hot in summer and like warm indoor temps. Ours is set to around 18C during the day and is set to 5C at night lol.. It’s enough for us, jumpers during the day, winter duvet at night, and also being 15 stone helps, lol...

Yes you are probably right, knew it sounded too good to be true! 😠I think they are just trying to make a quick buck off desperate people struggling with their energy bills.

Is it cheaper than running the central heating though? 🤔

In a colder period of the year, even if the room is 21-22c, we still wear winter clothing. 

It’s still cold In the corridors if we need to use the bathroom, so wearing shorts and t shirts is a no no. 

9 minutes ago, Don said:

Think they owe you a discount for doing that!! 😜

Good on him. You can be feeling cold now lol.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

In a colder period of the year, even if the room is 21-22c, we still wear winter clothing.

You need to get used to colder conditions so leave the winter clothing off and get used to it.

Heating has now come briefly in the morning when temperature in the hallway dropped below 60F soon warmed up though so it was off within twenty minutes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

15.1C in my house this morning. We're getting very close to caving in.

• Like 1

Posted

I gave it an hour blast this morning just to make sure it is working OK. In normal times I'd have probably let it stay on for a few hours in the morning, but this year I'm going to keep it off as long as I dare. The deeper into October I can get the more leeway finacinally I have in case it turns real cold this winter or a prolonged cold spring like last years Mar-May period.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

I did put it on for a short while yesterday to take the edge off the damp cold in SE Scotland after a lot of rain on Thursday. Have just hung the washing out on the line  as it is fine now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
23 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s still cold In the corridors if we need to use the bathroom, so wearing shorts and t shirts is a no no. 

Oh no, I can’t imagine how awful it must be for you to have to walk in a chilly corridor for 10 seconds in shorts and a t-shirt to get to the loo. Perish the thought! 🥶

23 hours ago, The PIT said:

You need to get used to colder conditions so leave the winter clothing off and get used to it.

Heating has now come briefly in the morning when temperature in the hallway dropped below 60F soon warmed up though so it was off within twenty minutes.

Yes you’re exactly right. I see too many people starting to winter clothes at this time of year and they’re usually the first to complain when winter arrives and temperatures really take a dip.

CH has made a lot of people soft when it comes to cold, cranking the indoor heating up to Sahara desert levels and complaining that it’s cold when the outside temperature drops below 15°C.

The energy crisis, as terrible as it is might toughen some people up when they are forced to turn down the thermostat this winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Heatings on. Kids keep running out the house leaving the damn front door open!

15 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Oh no, I can’t imagine how awful it must be for you to have to walk in a chilly corridor for 10 seconds in shorts and a t-shirt to get to the loo. Perish the thought! 🥶

Yes you’re exactly right. I see too many people starting to winter clothes at this time of year and they’re usually the first to complain when winter arrives and temperatures really take a dip.

CH has made a lot of people soft when it comes to cold, cranking the indoor heating up to Sahara desert levels and complaining that it’s cold when the outside temperature drops below 15°C.

The energy crisis, as terrible as it is might toughen some people up when they are forced to turn down the thermostat this winter.

I don't think there's any need for the sarcasm... everyone is different 

Posted
28 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Heatings on. Kids keep running out the house leaving the damn front door open!

I don't think there's any need for the sarcasm... everyone is different 

Beka, hope you are using the aged old "were you born in a barn" repost!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, pinball wizard said:

Beka, hope you are using the aged old "were you born in a barn" repost!!

Put the wood in the hole!!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
20 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

😱

They don't make 'em like this anymore,😁

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just bled the rads and switched on for 20 mins, to make sure all is ok. Prob leave on timer for tom morn as was cold this morn.

Was hoping to leave off til 2nd half Oct.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Just bled the rads and switched on for 20 mins, to make sure all is ok. Prob leave on timer for tom morn as was cold this morn.

Was hoping to leave off til 2nd half Oct.

Yes I've given up and lit the oil Aga range for the evening just to try it out and make sure all is working ok, just cooking my tea on it, ohh it's heaven.. I will only light it from now if it drops below 5c out but just for the evening till winter proper.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Gas Fires on now  I do miss our old Victorian  place with its fireplace but not the maintenance of the house ,lol

• Like 1

Posted

Our heating season roughly corresponds with GMT, with an extension into April if it's colder than average. It's been on the cool side the last week but so far the indoor temperature hasn't dropped below 18.5C. We're in a typical Victorian terrace. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Log burner has been lit this eve, just burning off cuts,(free wood) i live in a 200 y/o chalk/brick cottage with no CH, so if its chilly i light the burner, with the added bonus that it does my hot water as well! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s a HMO, so it’s not particularly comfortable when leaving your room to use the toilet or take a shower. 

The landlord is stingy and keeps the heaters off in the corridor. 

Even a mild winter makes the place feel cold. 

• Like 2