Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

With highs barely in double figures and lows in mid single figures (currently 4.5C) for the last 4 days then yes, the heating has been cutting in and the log burner has been lit in the evenings.

We are nearing our first full year with our ground source heat pump. The thermostat in the house is set at 19C and we leave the pump to work out when and how long it needs to run. For the last few months it's been running 1 to 2 hrs a day just providing our hot water. In the winter it runs pretty much constantly but at a low level for most of that time. Looking like we're roughly using 60% of the electricity we used previously, but for a much warmer house overall. 

• Like 3

Posted

Jumpers on for the first time, hopefully a while to go before heating needed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Conspiracy theorists are saying that energy companies are controlling our weather, so expect frequent blizzards and easterly winds this winter🥳 We will all be skint but at least we would have lying snow for 4 months🥳 God bless EON🥶

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

No heating or log burner in use yet but jumpers, socks and thick cardigans are in use! 

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 1

Posted

Heating came on briefly on Saturday morning which was pretty cold. Think it would have come on this morning as only 18c in kitchen but the smart thermostat doesn't realise that it is a bank holiday.

Have been having cold showers and using cold water as much as possible since the start of August so that is saving a lot of gas. EDF thought I was lying about my readings!

• Like 2

Posted

The previous 2 mornings, the heating kicked in to bring the temp up to 19c. No heating this morning as temps remained in double figures overnight, after a sunny and warm afternoon. 

I'm hoping the heating will stay off until this potential new northerly at the end of the month. 🥶

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
35 minutes ago, ManiaMuse said:

Heating came on briefly on Saturday morning which was pretty cold. Think it would have come on this morning as only 18c in kitchen but the smart thermostat doesn't realise that it is a bank holiday.

Have been having cold showers and using cold water as much as possible since the start of August so that is saving a lot of gas. EDF thought I was lying about my readings!

Had that problem too.  British Gas wouldn’t accept my gas meter reading on their website facility as they said it was lower than they expected.  I sent them a photo of said meter reading as proof - still put my payments up though!  I’m more electricity heavy and so what Ravelin said about his heat pump reducing his electricity is really interesting.  

Posted

In a word, NO. We had a new boiler installed a couple of weeks ago after 25 years, and the heating came on (and worked perfectly) whilst it was being tested, but that was all until (fingers crossed) next month. Hopefully, our new efficient boiler will lead to lower bills but we're not counting on that at the moment! 😒 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I often wonder why people only put their heating on at a certain time of year. Mine comes on based on if it is cold inside (and other parameters).

Otherwise it would be a bit like not switching a light on until a certain time of day even if it is too dark to see what you are doing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Notty said:

I often wonder why people only put their heating on at a certain time of year. Mine comes on based on if it is cold inside (and other parameters).

Otherwise it would be a bit like not switching a light on until a certain time of day even if it is too dark to see what you are doing.

Exactly. It's like some sort of hero mentality that I can't get my head around at all. Also, at the edges of the cold season, the amount of usage when the heating comes on for brief periods is a tiny fraction of the mid winter usage, so it seems like a lot of discomfort to save a small amount of energy, when in a few weeks time the heating will be on more regularly anyway, burning multiple times the energy when heating by temperature requirements in a cool September spell. 

I noticed the same in April this year once the fuel bills went up. I visit a lot of people's homes in my work, and there were a lot of miserable cold people not using heating, with houses at maybe 16 to 17c in the morning. The amount of energy to heat the home a couple c, then let the warmth of the afternoon take over, was not very much, and their lives would have been much more comfortable, especially the home workers, and in truth, most of the martyrs could have easily afforded it. The reluctance to use the heating seemed to be based on emotional responses to media hype and price increases, rather than rational mathematics and budgeting. I'm fairly sure that if these people sat down and worked out if they could afford to heat their homes 2c more in early April, they would have found it to be well within their means. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, richie3846 said:

Exactly. It's like some sort of hero mentality that I can't get my head around at all. Also, at the edges of the cold season, the amount of usage when the heating comes on for brief periods is a tiny fraction of the mid winter usage, so it seems like a lot of discomfort to save a small amount of energy, when in a few weeks time the heating will be on more regularly anyway, burning multiple times the energy when heating by temperature requirements in a cool September spell. 

I noticed the same in April this year once the fuel bills went up. I visit a lot of people's homes in my work, and there were a lot of miserable cold people not using heating, with houses at maybe 16 to 17c in the morning. The amount of energy to heat the home a couple c, then let the warmth of the afternoon take over, was not very much, and their lives would have been much more comfortable, especially the home workers, and in truth, most of the martyrs could have easily afforded it. The reluctance to use the heating seemed to be based on emotional responses to media hype and price increases, rather than rational mathematics and budgeting. I'm fairly sure that if these people sat down and worked out if they could afford to heat their homes 2c more in early April, they would have found it to be well within their means. 

why would you need the heating on if its 17c indoors? That is almost the perfect temperature..my house is always between 16-20c all year round ..whether i need heating or AC

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I refuse to do so at least until the clocks go back, but I live on an island surrounded by sea at its warmest time of the year in the autumn, so I guess that helps 

What if it’s becomes cold before then? Lol.

The days can be pretty chilly even before the clocks go back. 

3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

why would you need the heating on if its 17c indoors? That is almost the perfect temperature..my house is always between 16-20c all year round ..whether i need heating or AC

My flat is cold once it drops to 18c. A cold north facing flat.

It does depend on the kind of property and direction you are facing. 

Posted
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

I think many people find it more comfortable around the 19 to 21c mark in general. If that's comfortable for you, great, that's not for me though, unless I'm moving about. The missus and kids also find 17c a little too chilly for home. When it's time to do housework or something like that, then of course that's a good temperature, but most of the time at home activity is limited, therefore blood circulation is quite low also.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, richie3846 said:

I guess it applies to the other end of the scale where I never feel hot until it reaches 27-29c, but can still feel comfortable at 24-25c where some coldies are already talking about having to use fans and can’t handle the heat. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Yes turned it on today - it was still only 12c outside mid morning and the house felt cool as we were all sat watching TV - God rest you in peace dear Queen 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

Lounge temperature is around 19-21c at the moment. Heating tends not to go on until we have a temperature of about 16.5/17. I don't see it going on much between now and November unless we have a very different October compared to the last few years.

Posted

Nope, nor will it go on until it is actually cold. Turn it on too early and you dont get used to it and then feel it more. 

It's the same with me in the summer, I wont turn a fan on for two weeks or so so my body has time to slowly get used to it being warmer. 

That way, when I use either, it feels like a need. 

Obviously everyone will be different, and this year I will be trying to last longer so as to avoid the higher bills, but I do think with cold especially people have much more of a 'desired preference' than an 'actual need' - though granted if you can afford that, knock yourself out, I dont pay your bills and while there can be arguments about overuse of energy for preference contributing to global warming etc. realistically you will never change people once they're used to something, so better to treat the wound than the cause at this point with that sort of thing and focus on switching energy generation types over use. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 19/09/2022 at 14:35, Sunny76 said:

I guess it applies to the other end of the scale where I never feel hot until it reaches 27-29c, but can still feel comfortable at 24-25c where some coldies are already talking about having to use fans and can’t handle the heat. 

Isn't it about preference and not handling? Its fair so say your preference is warmth/heat. But i would never say you can't handle the cold, just your preference. It would have to be sub-zero temps during the day before i put the heating on for more than an hour. Hence not had the heating on for nearly 2 years! Just don't find it cold enough and that's in t shirt and shorts on in the house. 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Isn't it about preference and not handling? Its fair so say your preference is warmth/heat. But i would never say you can't handle the cold, just your preference. It would have to be sub-zero temps during the day before i put the heating on for more than an hour. Hence not had the heating on for nearly 2 years! Just don't find it cold enough and that's in t shirt and shorts on in the house. 

Ok my bad, poor choice of words.

I wish I could tolerate the cold but my body just isn’t built for it. I get cold once the daytime temps drop below 18c and by the time it’s 10-12c I really do need to wrap up.

Granted by mid winter, those types are fairly mild, but I guess I’m just used to wearing more layers because even on a mild day, it can still feel chilly if there’s a wind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
On 19/09/2022 at 09:29, Snowycat said:

Had that problem too.  British Gas wouldn’t accept my gas meter reading on their website facility as they said it was lower than they expected.  I sent them a photo of said meter reading as proof - still put my payments up though!  I’m more electricity heavy and so what Ravelin said about his heat pump reducing his electricity is really interesting.  

We've just started to use our log burner for an hour or so during the evenings. When we start to use it properly, then I'm expecting the same.  I don't however pay by direct debit , only for what I use per month.

EDF can shove their D/D/S where the sun doesn't shine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
57 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Ok my bad, poor choice of words.

I wish I could tolerate the cold but my body just isn’t built for it. I get cold once the daytime temps drop below 18c and by the time it’s 10-12c I really do need to wrap up.

Granted by mid winter, those types are fairly mild, but I guess I’m just used to wearing more layers because even on a mild day, it can still feel chilly if there’s a wind.

That's what makes us all different, be a bit boring otherwise wouldn't it! Hope the coming Winter isn't too bad for you, i understand what a least favourite season can do for anybody's wellbeing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Your tolerance to cold is quite remarkable! Your heat tolerance is quite amazing too considering you work at 40°C plus temps in 100% humidity! 🥵

You’re very lucky you don’t feel the cold as a lot of people will not be be to afford to put the heating on this winter. 

For me I’m quite a warm blooded person but I still do feel the cold too. I have quite good circulation so Im comfortable wearing shorts and a t-shirt outside until it’s gets below 15C or so. Indoors needs to be at least 18C. 
I don’t usually need a thick coat until it gets into single digits. In terms of heat I usually start to feel too hot when it gets above 22°C. 

So my preference is for middle of the road temperatures around 14-20°C, which I find most comfortable. Indoors 19-21°C.

As for heating, we’ve managed without it so far, it has been only 17-18C in the house but I’ve felt warm enough in joggers and a hoodie.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

18c in the living room here, I've a full tank of oil for the range and will do my best to hold off until November to light it. Bearing in mind I live in the middle of know-where in a bungalow. We have wool filled bedding and hot water bottles/blankets and electric is being used at the most tightest standards with economy 7 being used to full effect which I've had plenty of practice at over the years.. But this winter is where my many years of being tight (and Im regularly called that to my amusement.. will pay off as the belt is realy tightened to the last bukle hole..it's all a game to me and they won't be taking me for a ride I'm sure on that.. ☺️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Currently 20.5 Celsius in my abode, with 57% humidity (no heating on).

As I didn't have central heating until 2010, I have a fairly high tolerance to cooler room temperatures, though certainly not as much as Markyo does. 😄

I start to consider putting the heating on when the room temp drops down to around 17 Celsius. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1