Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted

We’ve had to strip the loft insulation due to rat infestation.  Live in a dormer bungalow, hence a large roof area.  Whilst it is sunny the rapid loss of heat at night is made up during the day. It is a really noticeable difference not have insulation though.  Not sure the family will make the next two weeks without central heating. 15c inside the last two mornings was just about ok as the house warmed through the morning, a couple of cloudy days and the heating will be reluctantly on!

Posted

Came on a couple of days back by itself in the morning. Yesterday was the first time it came on by itself in the evening too. I want to say this is the earliest it has come on in September? We've had it on late Sept but don't remember early Sept

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Thinking of lighting up the Wood burner for a couple of hours this evening just to take the chill off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A couple of 'light it and let it burn through' days for the stove. We don't usually need to light it and keep it in until October. Both woodsheds are full, and I have a few bags stacked so all set for winter, won't need to restock until spring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

With fuel bills so high i'm staggered folk are even thinking about putting their heating on! Just put a jumper on if cold. Let's be honest its not cold, is it? This coming winter it may will be cold, but sorry not in mid september in the UK. Just i know who will be the first to moan how high their bills are will be folk flicking that switch now.

• Like 5

Posted

Last night was my first night without air conditioning since some time in May.

It was a beautiful 24°C max, 9°C min today.

I reckon I have a month before the heating comes on, but to save money I'll try to stretch to November and make do with electric blankets.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

With fuel bills so high i'm staggered folk are even thinking about putting their heating on! Just put a jumper on if cold. Let's be honest its not cold, is it? This coming winter it may will be cold, but sorry not in mid september in the UK. Just i know who will be the first to moan how high their bills are will be folk flicking that switch now.

I see where your coming from, but you do realise people feel the cold much more than you.

I know it wasn’t so long ago, probably a week or so ago, when daytime temps were still around 24-25c on some days, and night time temps were still quite warm. It was a difficult time for you and other coldies. 

This past summer was hell on earth for people who like the cooler conditions, and while I agree it’s nowhere close to being very cold, we are starting to have room temps where some may feel uncomfortable for longer periods of time if they can’t use the heating, even if it’s just small doses. 

Our studio flat is poorly insulated and I know I’ve mentioned this a thousand times already so people are bored with this information. 

I’m working on the weekends here and there just to safeguard my savings and prepare for the high energy bills. We should be ok though.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

We simply set our thermostat for the hours we're at home and awake. 19c. If it drops to 18.5c the heating comes on. The sun warms the house from lunchtime, but there's no way we'd be at home all morning in temps less than 18c, we heat based on the temperature, and always keep the thermostat set to a modest yet comfortable temp (19c). With a combi boiler we've set the radiator temp to 55c, much lower than the 70c default, this saves money and people don't know about this.

This balanced approach allows us to keep our usage relatively modest and therefore we don't feel that need to hang off using the heating as long as possible, which I know many people do.

1 hour ago, markyo said:

I should add, the heating has been on a little in the last two mornings, but no more than that, the house remained above 19 the rest of the time.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

We simply set our thermostat for the hours we're at home and awake. 19c. If it drops to 18.5c the heating comes on. The sun warms the house from lunchtime, but there's no way we'd be at home all morning in temps less than 18c, we heat based on the temperature, and always keep the thermostat set to a modest yet comfortable temp (19c). With a combi boiler we've set the radiator temp to 55c, much lower than the 70c default, this saves money and people don't know about this.

This balanced approach allows us to keep our usage relatively modest and therefore we don't feel that need to hang off using the heating as long as possible, which I know many people do.

I should add, the heating has been on a little in the last two mornings, but no more than that, the house remained above 19 the rest of the time.

Having the heating on briefly in mid September isn’t unheard of, but it does seem like a week or two earlier this year.

The cool off from the hot summer has happened quite swiftly. Could this be a sign of things to come?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Below 18 degrees inside is chilly for most normal people, and potentially dangerous for at risk individuals.

Do we have to sleep in jumpers, hats and scarfs to avoid the guilt tripping 🤐

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
18 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

Lit my log burner Thurs/Fri evening for an hour or two, just burnt a few off cuts and scrap wood, took the chill off nicely!

If I recall you use e-coal on your burner?  I experimented with it last winter and was quite pleased.  How much do or how many coals do you put on at a time?  I burn logs until I go to bed and then put the e-coal to burn overnight but not sure I was putting enough on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
47 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Below 18 degrees inside is chilly for most normal people, and potentially dangerous for at risk individuals.

Electric blankets are good for keeping your bed nice and warm. 🛌

• Like 1

Posted

We moved in to our new bungalow 7 weeks ago which had been empty for a year.  We knew the boiler had to be replaced so no heating as yet.  Hopefully we'll have some heat by the end of next week.  Still a bit early though as we live in subtropical SE England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

If I recall you use e-coal on your burner?  I experimented with it last winter and was quite pleased.  How much do or how many coals do you put on at a time?  I burn logs until I go to bed and then put the e-coal to burn overnight but not sure I was putting enough on. 

I put enough on to cover the base of the stove, ie just a layer and turn the burner right down, ticks away for about 12hrs, i suppose it depends on the type of burner but this works best for mine! The price has shot up tho like everything else 🙄

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

Those hot spells already seem like a lifetime ago, in what was only a few weeks back in reality. 

1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

It won’t stop a flat becoming damp. That’s when it can become very dangerous for some people. Like I said before, more people will struggle to keep warm as opposed to the few weeks of 25c plus heat.

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Electric blankets are good for keeping your bed nice and warm. 🛌

That won’t warm the flat properly though will it. You need to warm the place even if only for an hour. 

21 minutes ago, ItsRaininAgain said:

We moved in to our new bungalow 7 weeks ago which had been empty for a year.  We knew the boiler had to be replaced so no heating as yet.  Hopefully we'll have some heat by the end of next week.  Still a bit early though as we live in subtropical SE England.

It’s not tropical now lol. It’s pretty chilly now, back to the regular British fare. 

Posted

Yes. I had to turn it on on Friday evening. With daytime temperatures little above 14c, a North facing flat becomes cold very quickly. My fix doesn't end until next Saturday, so whether I'd be so quick to do it then I'm not so sure. However, I flatly refuse to live in an uncomfortable home, and there's no comfort for me in wearing jumpers, gloves, hats etc. I'm lucky tht I can just about afford the increase, but the way everything else is shooting up, it will become a tightrope walking situation if it's a cold winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I refuse to do so at least until the clocks go back, but I live on an island surrounded by sea at its warmest time of the year in the autumn, so I guess that helps 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Hmmm i tend to go by the current temp and if I personally feel chilly, rather than going by a calender that has no control over the weather, arbitrary dates as to when one puts the heating on is a bit silly imho, log burner lit tonight just ticking away burning scrap wood 👍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

For some reason just couldn’t get warm today.…Lit my fire for the first time today & had a jumper on & a throw! Very little sun today so no natural warmth. Even turned the heating on for a couple of hours this evening to warm the rest of the house up before bed. Toasty enough now tho 😊

• Like 1

Posted

Not had this heating on this evening I don't think. But it reached 19 here today so not as cold as it has been.

9 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Came on a couple of days back by itself in the morning. Yesterday was the first time it came on by itself in the evening too

• Like 1