Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 5th Sept 21 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
On 06/12/2021 at 07:55, alexisj9 said:

Oh is that what that bright star is, or is there a planet too, as it didn't look like a comet just a very big star. What time is it best seen?

Hi 

The best time to try and get a photo is 4.30-6am. I've seen it with binoculars, but it's very hard to see with naked eye. It's in the east early am. 

More info and photos 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 10/12/2021 at 00:39, Sprites said:

Hi 

The best time to try and get a photo is 4.30-6am. I've seen it with binoculars, but it's very hard to see with naked eye. It's in the east early am. 

More info and photos 

Ok, must have been a very bright planet the other night. Although I haven't seen it since, but keep looking. Was at dusk and early night, not in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Ok, must have been a very bright planet the other night. Although I haven't seen it since, but keep looking. Was at dusk and early night, not in the morning.

That would of been Jupiter or low down Venus. 

There's a thread for the comet here  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Good morning people, hope you're all well. It's been a while since my last visit so just catching up with recent posts, some great photo's in the last few days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
On 07/12/2021 at 21:14, John Stevens said:

Hi guys. My mum is looking for a weather station for my Dad for Christmas. She has found on Amazon for £45. I was wondering if anyone might have any recommendations for reasonably priced ones that have wind/ rain functionality as well that can also have their data shared as a weather station on Weather Underground - a neat trick my my Dad would love!! Cheers, John

Hi John. What a great idea for a Christmas present but if I'm honest I think your Mum is going to struggle to find one with those functions at that price to be honest.  Do you have a link to the one she is looking at please ?

I've just had a very quick look on Amazon for something that might fit the bill but it's quite a bit more expensive although still pretty good value at £124.99.  I will try and post a link later.

Edited by SenlacJack

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Was it supposed to be that windy last night? It was roaring! 

Posted
On 10/12/2021 at 08:31, Neilsouth said:

Was it supposed to be that windy last night? It was roaring! 

Exactly what I came on to ask! It was windier last night than when the storm came through the other day, absolutely howling round the house in the early hours!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Don't understand; did a full weather report but it hasn't posted.  Sleep deprived from working more than 15 hours every day this week, so I'll just say it was windier from Storm Barra overnight Tuesday than during the day.  Yesterday late evening we had more rain in an hour than November's month total.  Sunny today but bitter out in the WNW wind, gusting in high 20's since midnight.  Currently 4C and need to thaw out in front of the fire after a muddy, slippery evening dog walk, although suspect will be asleep the minute I sit down.   Still, did find and set up a new booster vaccination site today, so that's worth a glass of wine I reckon. 

Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 4

Posted

well cross fingers ,if gfs comes in right  with  a swift white Christmas morning cracker  ,ill wear the hat ,stunning 25th,if it can pull that out santas bag ,we will give it a toast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Is that beast really going to wake up??

All eyes on the models to see if the idea is binned ...again...

• Like 3

Posted

s that beast really going to wake up??

it is ,then its not ,then it could be ,then it could be but not quite as it was ,but you can see a pattern, but patterns are just that patterns ,the devil is in the detail  

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
On 12/12/2021 at 21:05, TN9 said:

s that beast really going to wake up??

it is ,then its not ,then it could be ,then it could be but not quite as it was ,but you can see a pattern, but patterns are just that patterns ,the devil is in the detail  

Easterly QBO clashing with La Nina clashing with the Polar Vortex is a recipe for model disaster

Posted
3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Easterly QBO clashing with La Nina clashing with the Polar Vortex is a recipe for model disaster

go to the line i reckon ,orientation is key ,but like always ,we here, can snatch defeat (no snow)..out of the jaws of victory (good ol bit of snow ) with ease ..lets see how it pans out

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
On 12/12/2021 at 21:19, TN9 said:

go to the line i reckon ,orientation is key ,but like always ,we here, can snatch defeat (no snow)..out of the jaws of victory (good ol bit of snow ) with ease ..lets see how it pans out

The momentum within the parcel of air is very important as well in my opinion

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

All going off in the mad thread, I had my crash helmet on, full race leathers, the works. You have been warned

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, are well.

A pre-Christmas Day tease for our Region, from a couple of the 00z Model Runs, this Morning.

This from the GFS Model, at T240 [23rd Dec].

500 hPa [23rd Dec]                         850 hPa Temps [23rd Dec]                 

image.thumb.png.955abd33f4fd3e7a423380dc7136a741.png image.thumb.png.f8cd15f411c4e1980a24277c939b3e12.png

Is that a Snow Streamer I see setting up, over our Region?

Precipitation type [23rd Dec]

image.thumb.png.754e8e3676ba3fc22eb59d69537e0e5b.png

The GEM Model, singing from the same page.

500 hPa [23rd Dec]                         850 hPa Temps [23rd Dec]                   

image.thumb.png.e97e66e1889362b83cea43fba7b9f8e3.png  image.thumb.png.f10d8d53fa57f4b48a4bdbea4b74d58d.png

Precipitation [23rd Dec]                   Total Snow Depth [23rd Dec]

image.thumb.png.415f338be06be911596fade64a4c582d.png image.thumb.png.12ee1824b864e9b4b27803a04e387781.png

Some people class 25th December, as a White Christmas but it wasn't officially.

The Snow fell a Day or two before, as the feature below ran up the Channel and gave some areas of our Region, a few inches of the white stuff but it didn't Snow, on Christmas Day itself.

00z 24th Dec.1981                                   06z 24th Dec. 1981

image.thumb.png.ddae9cc12c27a6a51347179962b52f7a.png image.thumb.png.c980f3db2c4a496c1a7ce5f8fb443ddc.png

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

QUOTE:

"Some people class 25th December, as a White Christmas but it wasn't officially".

Apologies, of course that should have read - 25th December, 1981.

Regards,

Tom. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yes Tom! brings back memories 40 years ago of that epic 8th - 13th snowy spell with drifting and accumulations of up to 10 or so inches here. Evening of the 13th we had blizzards here but temporarily turned to sleet/rain but then back to snow which lasted on the ground until Xmas/Boxing day though patchy in nature and quite foggy around that time if memory serves me right.

8th - 5-6 inches of wet snow (started as rain)

11th - further couple of inches added

13th - Blizzards which briefly turned back to sleet/rain but another 2-3 inches accumulated with drifting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Today's top temperature here was 12.4C at 11:34 but for the life of me I can't remember whether we had any sun today.  Didn't look up from computer and/or from emergency meetings all day - PM's addresses to the nation tend to herald a crazy work day and last night's certainly created one of those.  Currently its 10C with 88% humidity.  Wind from SW and generally light, currently 3mph.  Pressure 1023.5hPa steady.  No rain has fallen since .8mm early hours of Sunday morning - was that only yesterday!