Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 5th Sept 21 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
On 13/12/2021 at 07:35, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, are well.

A pre-Christmas Day tease for our Region, from a couple of the 00z Model Runs, this Morning.

This from the GFS Model, at T240 [23rd Dec].

500 hPa [23rd Dec]                         850 hPa Temps [23rd Dec]                 

image.thumb.png.955abd33f4fd3e7a423380dc7136a741.png image.thumb.png.f8cd15f411c4e1980a24277c939b3e12.png

Is that a Snow Streamer I see setting up, over our Region?

Precipitation type [23rd Dec]

image.thumb.png.754e8e3676ba3fc22eb59d69537e0e5b.png

The GEM Model, singing from the same page.

500 hPa [23rd Dec]                         850 hPa Temps [23rd Dec]                   

image.thumb.png.e97e66e1889362b83cea43fba7b9f8e3.png  image.thumb.png.f10d8d53fa57f4b48a4bdbea4b74d58d.png

Precipitation [23rd Dec]                   Total Snow Depth [23rd Dec]

image.thumb.png.415f338be06be911596fade64a4c582d.png image.thumb.png.12ee1824b864e9b4b27803a04e387781.png

Some people class 25th December, as a White Christmas but it wasn't officially.

The Snow fell a Day or two before, as the feature below ran up the Channel and gave some areas of our Region, a few inches of the white stuff but it didn't Snow, on Christmas Day itself.

00z 24th Dec.1981                                   06z 24th Dec. 1981

image.thumb.png.ddae9cc12c27a6a51347179962b52f7a.png image.thumb.png.c980f3db2c4a496c1a7ce5f8fb443ddc.png

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

I remeber December 81 very well . My house was on a slight sloping road and it had been very, very cold. Being 13 at the time , we did what kids did, turned the bottom of the road into an ice slide by constantly pouring water on it. Thinking back , the neighbours must have thought we were right little ***** but that slide was there for about a week and we had a blast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oh dear. Once the sunshine disappears, we're into a classic spell of anticyclonic gloom!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Although no sun at least there was no rain and a very usable day again with temperature hitting 11.7 here in Locksbottom.Nice also not being cold whilst working outside as last 2 weeks(upto last Saturday have been pretty chilly).Looks like tomorrow and Thursday will still be mild although dropping a degree or 2 from today and that trend to cooler weather continues on Friday and into the weekend so we will be looking at maxs of about 6 by Sunday here.Looking at Mod thread models are toying with even colder weather as we approach Xmas day but too much uncertainty on that and think we will know more on that by Friday.At least we have saved a few pounds on heating bills for 4-5 days,especially as energy costs have soared in last few months

Posted

Very mild out there again. Cant help but think a cold shock is around the corner. As long as it is over the Christmas period , i'm OK with that.

Posted
1 minute ago, moogyboobles said:

There is no weather here today. It just is.

It's a meh day

• Like 1

Posted

Been a nice blue sky and sunny morning, quite warm out considering the time of year, but once again, cloud is rolling in from the west, so its bye sun and blue skies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

No sun here again, although we did get a max temperature of 13.1C at 13:00.  Current temperature is a balmy 11C with 85% humidity.  Wind, best described as a pleasant breeze has been from a WNW direction with highest gust (briefly) of 14mph which barely shifted the bare tree branches.  As is very typical around here winds fall light mid to late afternoon, currently wind speed 3mph.  Pressure is currently 1033.0hPa rising slowly.  No rain has fallen in the last 24 hours, in fact none since a wee sprinkling in the early hours of 12 December. 

I'd like to see the sun again, please.  Nice mild weather for dog walking but on balance would prefer cold and crisp so long as its sunny.  

• Like 1

Posted

Chillier morning than of late, with a thick mist across the fields, but the sun is out now and clouds look to be clearing away, hopefully that last longer today than yesterday where after lunch it clouded over but thankfully not thick enough to produce any of the nasty drizzle stuff! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 15/12/2021 at 09:49, moogyboobles said:

Think we have your weather from yesterday , nothing to say about it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

I suspect more exciting weather on the way  

It's very boring at present that's for sure.

We are sitting in the firing line for a beautiful easterly.

Will be getting busy in here soon I think.. ❄ 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

Chillier morning than of late, with a thick mist across the fields, but the sun is out now and clouds look to be clearing away, hopefully that last longer today than yesterday where after lunch it clouded over but thankfully not thick enough to produce any of the nasty drizzle stuff! 

Sun?

What is that?

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bogman said:

Sun?

What is that?

That elusive yellow ball that occasionally appears high in the sky, which is still here by the east coast this afternoon. So far a lovely day here, making the most of it as according to the forecasts, its going to be a dull cloudy borefest for the forseeable, unless that easterly brings some of the white stuff near xmas time  

• Like 4

Posted

BBC SE Local Weather beginning to hint at potential wintry weather (battleground scenario) on the run-up to Christmas!

Although, with projected temperatures around 4c most likely cold rain, sleet event? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

BBC SE Local Weather beginning to hint at potential wintry weather (battleground scenario) on the run-up to Christmas!

Although, with projected temperatures around 4c most likely cold rain, sleet event? 

It can still snow even if it is 4C at ground level. Interesting times ahead!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
On 15/12/2021 at 09:49, moogyboobles said:

But look at what you could have in 200 ish hours - what could possibly go wrong 

gfseuw-2-204.png

image.webp

Edited by Pixel
added image from the mad thread
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 16/12/2021 at 17:21, Pixel said:

But look at what you could have in 200 ish hours - what could possibly go wrong 

gfseuw-2-204.png

image.webp

Pooh to far north, pmsl. No it's about right, for most, but will defo be snow rain snow down here in the SE corner of Kent. However I think it's to far away to bank.

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

To play a well worn record, Greenland / Icelandic highs almost never deliver decent amounts of snow or extreme cold to the lowland SE.  Scandanavian highs are of course the Holy Grail to us; an E / NE  blowing from a frigid continent have become more and more elusive over the last thirty years or so.  These types of high pressure were always rare aves particularly in December and January but these days they are about as common as female train spotters.  Until I see any sign of pressure rises over this region I will remain underwhelmed. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

First time I have followed the winter models since giving up smoking.

First time I have craved a fag in mnths!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Lots of excitement and angst, in equal measure, on the Mad Thread, this Evening.

I do feel, at the moment, the undercutting Low, could be a little too far North, for our Region but It's all still too far out, to lose sleep over, just yet.

Being of a certain age, I remember a time, when an undercutting Low, aligned itself with slide rule precision, for our Region, and this archive chart, is one of my favourite Snow Nirvana charts, of them all and has remained my Laptop wallpaper, for an etenity, now.

image.thumb.png.26ab6863c4770e7109178c04e0671eec.png

I was living in Bromley, N.W.Kent/S.E.London, at the time.

'Twas the Eve of New Year's Eve, 1978. I was working in East Dulwich, S,E.London, at the time.

After work, I went for a drink with a couple of colleagues, to a couple of local Pubs.

The Snow began falling at around 8.30, on this Saturday night.

I vividly remember going to the Pub loo, a little later, and noticed a line of white powder, up against the loo wall.

You're probably thinking, that wasn't an uncommon sight, in a London Pub, at that time.

But fine powdery Snow, had been blown through a grill in the wall, and had formed a slight drift.

We left that Pub a little while later, and were met with ac very Wintry scene, indeed.

The gale force Easterly wind felt bitter, and walking into it, tool your breath away.

Fine powdery Snow, with the appearance of Icing Sugar, was being blown across the Road, and was beginning to accumulate in slight drifts, against the gutters.

One of my Colleagues gave me a lift, back to my Home, in Bromley.

The journey of around 9 Miles, felt very treacherous, with the Car slipping and sliding all over the Road.

We had to avoid any Hills between East Dulwich and Bromley.

I arrived back home, a little after Midnight.

As I stepped out of the Car, my home location, resembled the Painting,. "Retreat From Moscow."

The drifting Snow had become so bad, that I couldn't make out the pathway, to my front door.

The Easterly wind was so strong and combined with a temperature of -5c, it felt painful to the lungs, when you breathed in.

This particular Snow event, remains the best/worst example of Snow combined with wind.

Although the following Day [New Year's Eve '78], was clear with crystal, blue sky, the wind was still very strong.

It was stong enough to blow the fine, powdery Snow off of rooves and cars, on to the main Road, a hundred Yards, from my front door. It's the only time I've seen a Snow Plough needed to keep a Road open, in my locale. As soon as the Road was swept clear, another gust from that Easterly wind, soon covered the Main Road, again.

Sammy Snowman is really looking forward, to presenting Act 6, of his Netweather Christmas Pantomime, Tomorrow Morning, and hoping he'll be able to have a Wintry tale, to tell.

Regards,

Tom.   

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, TomSE12 said:

Evening all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Lots of excitement and angst, in equal measure, on the Mad Thread, this Evening.

I do feel, at the moment, the undercutting Low, could be a little too far North, for our Region but It's all still too far out, to lose sleep over, just yet.

Being of a certain age, I remember a time, when an undercutting Low, aligned itself with slide rule precision, for our Region, and this archive chart, is one of my favourite Snow Nirvana charts, of them all and has remained my Laptop wallpaper, for an etenity, now.

image.thumb.png.26ab6863c4770e7109178c04e0671eec.png

I was living in Bromley, N.W.Kent'S.E.London, at the time.

'Twas the Eve of New Year's Eve, 1978. I was working in East Dulwich, S,E.London, at the time.

After work, I went for a drink with a couple of colleagues, to a couple of local Pubs.

The Snow began falling at around 8.30, on this Saturday night.

I vividly remember going to the Pub loo, a little later, and noticed a line of white powder, up against the loo wall.

You're probably thinking, that wasn't an uncommon sight, in a London Pub, at that time.

But fine powdery Snow, had been blown through a grill in the wall, and had formed a slight drift.

We left that Pub a little while later, and were met with ac very Wintry scene, indeed.

The gale force Easterly wind felt bitter, and walking into it, tool your breath away.

Fine powdery Snow, with the appearance of Icing Sugar, was being blown across the Road, and was beginning to accumulate in slight drifts, against the gutters.

One of my Colleagues gave me a lift, back to my Home, in Bromley.

The journey of around 9 Miles, felt very treacherous, with the Car slipping and sliding all over the Road.

We had to avoid any Hills between East Dulwich and Bromley.

I arrived back home, a little after Midnight.

As I stepped out of the Car, my home location, resembled the Painting,. "Retreat From Moscow."

The drifting Snow had become so bad, that I couldn't make out the pathway, to my front door.

The Easterly wind was so strong and combined with a temperature of -5c, it felt painful to the lungs, when you breathed in.

This particular Snow event, remains the best/worst example of Snow combined with wind.

Although the following Day [New Year's Eve '78], was clear with crystal, blue sky, the wind was still very strong.

It was stong enough to blow the fine, powdery Snow off of rooves and cars, on to the main Road, a hundred Yards, from my front door. It's the only time I've seen a Snow Plough needed to keep a Road open, in my locale. As soon as the Road was swept clear, another gust from that Easterly wind, soon covered the Main Road, again.

Sammy Snowman is really looking forward, to presenting Act 6, of his Netweather Christmas Pantomime, Tomorrow Morning, and hoping he'll be able to have a Wintry tale, to tell.

Regards,

Tom.   

I remember the spell well. Sheffield was crippled and I walked many a mile to work for a good while. Let's hope this current set up gives some similar conditions

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Lovely sunny afternoon here with a high temp of 11C. This evening very atmospheric around the town with fog now setting in over the River Brett, near me.

1317363007_Fog2.thumb.jpg.b06537cdcad84e323ac9a71248248fac.jpg802045274_Fog3.thumb.jpg.d2feb8f81043c46ec11ed3b4494491a6.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Dark and grey here again today, think it’s been about 5 days since we saw the sun on the SE coast? Temperature has been static around 10c for what feels like forever too - trying not to get sucked in by all the S word chatter in the mod thread!

Looking forward to some cooler, more seasonal weather in the coming days if nothing else. I despise warm weather at Christmas!

• Like 2

Posted

Hi all, hope you’re all well, I’m currently isolating with covid well awaiting confirmation. I’ve barely been contributing here the weather has been so tedious, it has been a bore of year really. Would be great that remedied itself before year is out. 

white Christmas anyone?

E4B35A9C-0BDC-4B17-BEB1-B87D1E4C2141.thumb.png.f8c7e661fd5ef2fa58382c4b72c775a9.png