Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - closing in on Winter

Posted
27 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ec control follows the op to day 7 

Not what I wanted to hear..

That det was poor,if its snow you are after and you are south of the Pennines,at least !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

Never post in here but bloody hell talk about ridiculousness, 106cm apparently on the ECM 12z in the Irish Midlands... even for a model like this that assumes every flake that falls will settle is something else. Unlikely

image.thumb.png.d0f3f72a355ec097cc985aba3f856b37.png

Nice! But can I see Scotland too?  

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Absolutely brilliant mean!!op should be a big outlier!!!

The mean although better if its good, isn't really that instructive at this point mate.

Blue has commented the control follows the det..

Personally I'd be happy with some colder Frosty weather, 14 degrees and drizzle is disgusting .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
17 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It was good last year when the other seasonal models were poor.  I think you have to ask the question why?  If the current predicted spell lasts any time at all (and let’s not get ahead of ourselves) then why are the seasonal models missing it.  One question I have, is do they include, and if they do include, model correctly the impact of solar activity on the weather?  As they seem to mess up closer to a solar minimum, in my admittedly subjective, experience.  Anyone know?

For me Mike Long range forecasting is still very much an infancy regarding overall success rates. We know these models take into account the atmospheric and the conditions of the oceans over these several month periods.

Some of these predictions rely on the Earth system variables,which can have long time scales...many months infact) 

So we have the ENSO cycles which situate over the tropical Pacific and the affects of this are felt around the globe.

But with a rapidly changing climate,some of these predictions are going to be more prone to error! You mention the solar activity for instance...not everyone is convinced its plays such a big role as many of us thinks it does.

And to summarise when we have the Arctic regions warming at a much more rapid rate than the mid latitudes,we again generate much more wildly swinging variables. This not even taking into account about the gulf stream being much weaker than previously! 

I think its going to become increasingly difficult for these long range models to nail down the exact patterns as the climate shifts! Especially in the short to mid term.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 9

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

EC Mean looks great at 168 then 192, then it’s cold grip weakens. The good thing is that 216-240 is way out in FI

A49E181C-FFBD-4234-9200-9DBD5AEF1C95.png

CA3F2497-159A-4BDA-B60E-750DE98D3333.png

I didn’t think that the mean looked too bad out to day 10. The cold doesn’t appear to relax much and if anything it deepens a little by day 10

2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM 12z clusters.  

T72-T96, little to be said, purple borders (Atlantic ridge) all round, and little difference:

A61F1BC1-5766-42B7-ABFC-A351C646583E.thumb.png.6bb452305bd60731a2aabe8b89b2ad91.png

T120-T168, and here we see the op in the minority cluster 3, but the other two on track for the northerly:

92C98B8E-9FAD-4564-A2FD-2998C720A810.thumb.png.cd96779292c4723af3f19795c3109b28.png

T192-T240, I slightly prefer cluster 1 here (27 members) cluster 2 maybe collapsing a bit at the end.

34EB62BE-87E8-409D-BCE2-01B895600A13.thumb.png.431e315ff2e1ec0650471bc88a2babd3.png

T264+ and I think really all bets are off by this point.  Clusters 1 and 4 preferred, but if the op runs are uncertain by T144, the ENS are uncertain by this point.  

3AE4FAB2-7409-48E1-B18E-41CD130E8AC8.thumb.png.185a0dd3496a3c7c3f97386f669d4428.png

Not convinced by two clusters days 8/10.  plenty more runs needed yet! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The mean although better if its good, isn't really that instructive at this point mate.

Personally I'd be happy with some colder Frosty weather, 14 degrees and drizzle is disgusting .

Get what your saying mate but pretty sure the control follows the op 95% of the time (especially up to day 6 or 7 ) same as the gfs op and control . Are they run at the same resolution ? Any way the mean looks great and a lot colder than the op especially further south

8BFC5D0E-035C-45E2-B8B8-20C3D20EA9B7.png

B5884116-0E0B-4E10-B233-234D27FCB993.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I think the word Meh sums up tonight’s outputs ! 

They’re not crxp enough to throw some toys out of the pram and neither are they good enough to have coldies bulk ordering ear muffs and scarfs !

Overall the outputs have downgraded the cold and wintry potential but the margins are quite small and could still edge the other way so all is not lost .

I'd say that sums things up rather nicely.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ICE COLD said:

Get what your saying mate but pretty sure the control follows the op 95% of the time (especially up to day 6 or 7 ) same as the gfs op and control . Are they run at the same resolution ? Any way the mean looks great and a lot colder than the op especially further south

8BFC5D0E-035C-45E2-B8B8-20C3D20EA9B7.png

B5884116-0E0B-4E10-B233-234D27FCB993.png

EC snow depths tonight...

image.thumb.png.da43315acb238118fa9be44804e23835.png

Look at Ireland !!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
20 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Looks like the cold is getting ready to pounce here. Anyone got anything that UKMO could stand for?

Ummmmmm

Keep 

Making 

Overreactions 

(not you btw)

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Totally agree but we gota take some positivity from the output!!had the mean been the same as the op it would av been almost certainly been curtains for us mate!!as it stands though the mean is brilliant and still keeps us in with a chance!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
On 18/11/2021 at 19:40, SqueakheartLW said:

Looks like the cold is getting ready to pounce here. Anyone got anything that UKMO could stand for?

Here's some bad ones

UK MO
Keep
Mild
(Arctic)Oscillation 
(I don't know either)

Under
Keen scientists
Meet
Outcast snaw lover

UK MO
Keep
Mild 
Outliers

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
12 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Hi all,...just catching up

the ECM op was way out of order,...relax cos there will be plenty more chopping and changing yet to come,...I WILL ASSURE YOU.

graphe0_00_266_30___.thumb.png.cb63030b54e93e391fae73b7cce87cdf.png

i will have a round up in a bit.

Very respectable mean si..further on and we get huge scatter as would be expected...plenty of cold options remain though,so anyone who thinks it's a quick cold snap,then a return to mild zonal could be very much mistaken.

Screenshot_20211118-201608_Chrome.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

To varying degrees the ext mean anomalies remain amplified with a NW upper flow and thus still unsettled, perhaps a N/S bias, with temps below average. But both the gfs and ecm deamplify during the period and shift the pattern east with temps rising to around average

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-8446400.thumb.png.19088b841c43e8a34fb106977ebd542b.pnggfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_5day-8446400.thumb.png.6cfbd80015e66603cad6fa629f1804e9.png814day_03.thumb.gif.fe37f94c8368a8d3849a05024f537356.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

God help the newbies.

The means great.....take no notice of the mean.....coz he says.....

The means ok .....

Output going backward.....

no it's ok......

The perils of over analysis every run.

The trend is much colder than now and lets let it play out a touch before measuring how much snow we haven't yet got. 

I think it's very easy to overanalyse each run in terms of the details. 

The thing I will say, the ridging does look a little better and the UKMO is the most encouraging in this aspect. In these situations it's always the case of how cold it will get and how long it's last, both which is quite uncertain at the moment. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

The Control run that follows OP ends with +14C for London towards the end of the run. It is also poor for my location which means the cold just vanishes. Even with the blocked Atlantic and output still 120h+ away, this synoptic is nothing special like some posts would encourage you to think. There have been many many autumns with similar transient northerlies and interesting hemispheric views this tíme of the year. The most striking thing though is that the autumn is nearing its end and we are chasing first -4/-6 uppers to excite us with zilch Snow events throughout anywhere in Europe below 1000m asl excluding north Scandi. And this with the ideal background weak/mod LA Nina,-EQBO, -PDO, -IOD, early Canadian warming. Our highest station at 2655m is showing today 0cm Snow and Meteo station in Capital city Bratislava has recorded 0 days with ground frost all autumn.

Screenshot_2021-11-18-21-03-25-561_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1