Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted

The low on Tuesday is what's getting my attention now showing up on most models. Right now for my area it's looking very severe!!!

Presuming the downgrades will come, worth watching though for all in the West/Southwest

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
On 02/12/2021 at 18:38, Snowboy111 said:

What’s the point in looking at any models beyond day 5 then ??

Does that apply with deep snow and bitter winds. Il bet you diamonds there's no deep cold at day 5,7,10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
45 minutes ago, Snowboy111 said:

What’s the point in looking at any models beyond day 5 then ??

Plenty. I said that the equations are inherently chaotic; not that all models are useless. I'm sure the pros have more in their arsenal than simply using computer models.

Not least, a thorough grounding in all the relevant fundamental physical processes involved!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

ECM should be renamed GPM 'Garden Path Model'. Soooo often it brings us ghost cold spells only to collapse them within hours. From Snow Armageddon to Bartlett Heaven with 24 hours.

Hopefully the background signals will bring us better charts by mid month but after a promising start its all a bit disappointing.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
14 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Bit of useless trivia, but it seems the ECM has the Atlantic low at Cat 2 hurricane strength by Monday night. Weakens quite considerably before landfall.

Well it seems the ECM 12Z has given up its attempt to get a proper easterly to the UK just for now. That Atlantic dartboard low is the killer of many a potential cold spell.

Evening all, yes looks like writing on the wall for any easterly incursion to push into the British Isles. The big three models have the low forming off the Eastern Seaboard of North America at 72h and develops into  a deepening closed Low out in Mid Atlantic in almost the same spot.  Unless there is a sudden back track from the models in the next 24 hours , I can only see the low exiting Northwards towards the British Isles. May not end up particularly mild, rather cold to be more likely but not the frigid air mass we were hoping for. I will give it another 24 hours before throwing the towel in yet again for that allusive real chill for you lot back in Blighty !

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Mate you seem to be throwing in the towel on the back of a few runs...and your literally saying Decmber looks done and dusted....I've lost count of the amount of times I've said you shouldn't be lead into total despair on the back of each and every op run...it does the person or anyone else,know good whatsoever!

There's alot going on...and what's just been stated on here by a few,regarding the gfs ens holding something very positive further into the month...I pointed out about some Tropical forcing going on just now...this could have implications on our conditions very soon..theres a chance some of those ens may be hinting at this now...it may still be a little early...but bare in mind it's the background drivers that the models get there projections from...

I can't believe how I feel like I need to lift some posters on here when a few bad runs make them feel its all over! There's alot going on...we can't even determine an accurate forecast for the next 5 days due to major uncertainty over that Low pressure....and do try to remind oneself that there's still 28 days of this month to come...thats 4 weeks....thats a hell of a long time in weather terms!

Will be interesting to see if the 46 picks up on some of these background drivers.

I think the problem is we have all been here before and a reinvigorated PV in early December is not good news.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
On 02/12/2021 at 18:46, Mike Poole said:

Yes, coming up:

0z T120:

739AB75F-2513-42CD-96CC-13702ECD1D81.thumb.png.19e70b35381f8d6bfa38e526f04b2bcd.png

12z T120:

2461ED03-D596-4A9D-9B9B-B2752BD48FF3.thumb.png.4378f6057074bcb76b7de60ce0b2aecf.png

The models tend to on average verify better in winter than summer, but I strongly suspect that is for average winter prospects i.e. zonal, not the kind of situation we are in now.  

Thanks for that Mike 

Cheers 

John 

• Like 1

Posted
On 02/12/2021 at 19:01, Ed Stone said:

Plenty. I said that the equations are inherently chaotic; not that all models are useless. I'm sure the pros have more in their arsenal than simply using computer models.

Ed I'm an eternal optimist but I'd be thinking that the pros have even a small angle on this

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Evening all,ECM 120 hrs low pressure system and it’s track will be the key for the next 10 day scenario.

Looking very unsettled with an active Atlantic but not mild all the way as stated above the tracking of

these low pressures could change temperatures to a colder theme,Scandinavia still looking very cold.

• Like 3

Posted
On 02/12/2021 at 19:03, MATTWOLVES said:

Mate you seem to be throwing in the towel on the back of a few runs...and your literally saying Decmber looks done and dusted....I've lost count of the amount of times I've said you shouldn't be lead into total despair on the back of each and every op run...it does the person or anyone else,know good whatsoever!

There's alot going on...and what's just been stated on here by a few,regarding the gfs ens holding something very positive further into the month...I pointed out about some Tropical forcing going on just now...this could have implications on our conditions very soon..theres a chance some of those ens may be hinting at this now...it may still be a little early...but bare in mind it's the background drivers that the models get there projections from...

I can't believe how I feel like I need to lift some posters on here when a few bad runs make them feel its all over! There's alot going on...we can't even determine an accurate forecast for the next 5 days due to major uncertainty over that Low pressure....and do try to remind oneself that there's still 28 days of this month to come...thats 4 weeks....thats a hell of a long time in weather terms!

Will be interesting to see if the 46 picks up on some of these background drivers.

I admire your optimism but we all know when the Atlantic takes control it normally lasts for weeks.

GFS ens throw out eye-watering charts every winter,problem is  they verify so rarely in fl ,that you may as well draw your own weather charts and you probably have a better chance of them being correct than fl gfs ens

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 6

Posted
On 02/12/2021 at 19:17, Dimie10 said:

BTW no disrespect intended to anyone who contributes 

It Dosnt really but the trend isn't run to run today. The PV is gaining traction the the nnw. Its not guaranteed but for a while it looks strong. That's not to say winter is over by any imagination

• Thanks 1

Posted

So looking forward even tho it's not popular I can't see a sustained cold spell in the next 10 days. Wintry showers possible on high ground but not a lot else imo. Obv supries can happen given any decent 850s and angle of attack bringing some snowfall. Easy as she goes then

• Thanks 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Evening all,ECM 120 hrs low pressure system and it’s track will be the key for the next 10 day scenario.

Looking very unsettled with an active Atlantic but not mild all the way as stated above the tracking of

these low pressures could change temperatures to a colder theme,Scandinavia still looking very cold.

Look at the 850s associated with the low pressure - it is a cold atlantic flow, sub 528 dam air in places, evaporative cooling could mean rain will be snow down to relatively low levels, the wet variety. It remains a cold outlook really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It looks like early next week we see a period where the  the Atlantic flow edges further in as the block further east just loses some ground.

Looking unsettled with a deep low  modeled just out west by day 5 so one feature to watch as we get closer.

UE120-21.thumb.gif.2cb0d9048052536773aa6cc1552654f3.gif

Not by any means a switch to a mild pattern as the UK will still for a large part of the coming 10 days be north of the jet with quite chilly air around,

I feel we may see a week or maybe 2 of this mobility before possibly a slow down again in the pattern as later ens hint of resurgence of heights to the east and the retreat of the Canadian vortex.Perhaps a mid-month high pressure development around our parts as gefs show.Surface conditions as ever dependent on positioning and whether it would be far enough north for a cold feed.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Dimie10 said:

I love this site, watched it for years, but I am lost as to literally every 30 minutes it goes from being BOOM to BUST !! Can there not be a thread that is limited to only 5 days ahead for people who don't like the constant see saw of its going to be another ice age, to winters over on day 2 of the season...... EVERY few minutes!!  

There is a thread for moans and ramps - and people should it to say how they feel about the models, use this thread to say what the models are showing - this is a message to all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

Not much new on the clusters compared to this morning.
Days 5-10 are NAO+ dominant, with a minor cluster with NE blocking.

We still see in the extended, 264h-360h, that the majority (33 members) moves towards a BLO+ regime, 23 of them in a cluster that has heights over most of Europe, I can imagine inversion cold with that, and 10 members in a cluster with some modest Scandi heights.
The other 18 go NAO+/Euro High.

2dec12EPS-264.thumb.png.d7574e59b579805379fa71621265bf13.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
7 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Ok folks I'm out of retirement...I've let off my steam  

I'm liking the 46 anomalies...some strong hints of extensive Hights across the UK in towards scandy big time.

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_174_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_216_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_264_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_306_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_492_1431_525.png

That last one, and cluster 1 at 360h, has a December 2007 look.

One big High pressure dome, with an inversion and frost under it.

Edited by Cold Winter Night
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 02/12/2021 at 20:01, MATTWOLVES said:

Ok folks I'm out of retirement...I've let off my steam  

I'm liking the 46 anomalies...some strong hints of extensive Hights across the UK in towards scandy big time.

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_174_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_216_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_264_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_306_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_492_1431_525.png

xx_weekly-en-330-0_modezwkly_2021112900_522_1431_525.png

Relax man its only weather fgs. Long way to go pal early days boss ❤️

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Anyone got the UKMO 168?

• Like 1