Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted

Ok so the short term disappoints aside, looking at the extended ecm debilt ens compared to last night's, interesting to note some colder runs in the extended compared to basically none on last night's. I wonder if these runs are showing the influence of the block backing west and pressure rising in our locale as alluded to by knocker in his post above? A crisp, seasonal Christmas would be nice. 

eps_pluim_tt_06260 (3).png

eps_pluim_tt_06260 (2).png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, it must be said: the view otside my window is a lot better than the GEFS 00Z ensembles!

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,well the U.K. weather in the next 7 days hangs in the balance ECM/UKMO showing this developing 

low in the Atlantic at 120 hrs it’s movement is crucial.Shown on the 00z ECM just west of Scotland,need that low

to be further south and then pushing east to continue the U.K. on the colder side of these Atlantic systems 

bringing more of a continental flow.Perhaps more wishful thinking but still lots of uncertainty beyond 120 hrs.

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Ok so the short term disappoints aside, looking at the extended ecm debilt ens compared to last night's, interesting to note some colder runs in the extended compared to basically none on last night's. I wonder if these runs are showing the influence of the block backing west and pressure rising in our locale as alluded to by knocker in his post above? A crisp, seasonal Christmas would be nice. 

eps_pluim_tt_06260 (3).png

eps_pluim_tt_06260 (2).png

Further to this, the gfs control run shows this nicely in the extended. 

gensnh-0-1-312.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
32 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, it must be said: the view otside my window is a lot better than the GEFS 00Z ensembles!

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

Got to laugh at your Eeyor ensemble posts. Unfortunately I tend to agree with them 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
16 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Further to this, the gfs control run shows this nicely in the extended. 

gensnh-0-1-312.png

I'd say it looks like a good bet that the coming more mobile pattern won't last too long and likely be replaced by a more HP dominated pattern in the run up to xmas. 

• Like 1

Posted

Don't worry the mighty icon, which moddled the 18 spell involving scandi heights the best has got this, keeps the lows seperate. .

Todays ECM continues to show decent mjo amplitude too.

Models can flip at short range, which they have been doing a alot already recently, I'm not worried about the strong polar vortex, it's strong most years in December. Other drivers are also in play as mentioned many times.

iconnh-0-120 (1) (13).png

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full (24).gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
52 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Completely unforecasted snow for some this morning, that not a single model was showing, but I'm sure that on 2nd of December we can write off the prospects of cold and/or snow during the rest of the month and even the winter based on what the models are showing  

Indeed, model consistency shot to bits at the moment (IMO). Only a few days ago there was some concensus on an impending easterly. I still maintain that this year is 'different' and we are in for last minute surprises (good and bad) e.g. the snow that people have had that they were not expecting.

The one thing that is odd in my area (South Wales) is the dryness. We are well overdue a lot of precipitation - hopefully not rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Gfs 6z and take a look at the direction of the ejected LP!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
On 02/12/2021 at 10:10, Updated_Weather said:

Moving south? What we want it to do don’t we?

Yep

Posted

Seems GFS has started to behave slightly.. could do with it shallower and even further south, but it’s a start.. wouldn’t surprise me if it did produce a shallower low(as it’s used to blowing up the low) and being further south..

all is not over yet!??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

GFS 06z Op completely different to 00z as early as 144 !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Well we'd better hope it corrects southwards and becomes shallower because otherwise that's a catastrophic storm for Ireland and the southwest.

gfs-0-132.png?6

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Great start for evolution,it’s further south initially, then stagnant against the block allowing for more defined wrap height heading for Scandinavia.. it’s a big step this.

2E48F952-CDDA-42D0-A267-936CE1750194.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7

Posted

Looks like the models are still confused by this old skool start to the UK winter. Long may that confusion reign - more likely it will conclude in a very nice fashion for 'proper winter' lovers. 

• Like 3

Posted

Gona have to keep an eye out on that low in the atlantic!!its one of those that could just vanish just like that!!its relying on the interaction of the main vortex across greenland!!very uncertain times!dont even think the 12zs might get this one done and dusted!!