Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

If two models are showing this then it needs watching. 

BF8235E3-C3ED-4123-A7E8-3381AA808DE2.png

This is not a one of run and there is a chance of a strong storm developing an running across the British isles.

lower the pressure further south it will go thou

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, That ECM said:

If two models are showing this then it needs watching.  955 on gfs. At t120.

BF8235E3-C3ED-4123-A7E8-3381AA808DE2.png

CE5D3792-0AE9-40BD-A497-895FAFC705CD.png

You posted the same charts. At different times of the day 

Edited by fromey
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Remarkably coherent signal at 360 from the big 3 ensembles

GEPS

image.thumb.png.a3599cd1502ed93843a3d8a50154d0f9.png

GEFS

image.thumb.png.bf6ead62c0b347e248da979d1b285304.png

EPS would doubtless be similar

image.thumb.png.6ec86bf3fe89130911594257ba78de34.png

MJO phase 6 Nina composite

image.thumb.png.d471185273d549d025aeb5ae48d104f0.png

Forecast

image.thumb.gif.ee3c478a0d2a04416b93c2f1124b10d3.gif
Interesting where the 46 takes the Urals high towards xmas…

image.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
9 hours ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Could there still be a chance of a flip back to cold or as ship sunk.

There’s always a chance that the models could flip back but in the meantime…there’s an iceberg right ahead!  

26CF3977-23BA-4C95-B79A-32169DCD7D20.thumb.png.0b3fb10271d6a07e2bdbf87e734fdd0c.png

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Updated_Weather said:

Why doesn’t that surprise me

The storm actually looks unreal to me!!!meaning it so deep i still dont believe its gona actually happen!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

(Snipped)

With regards to the CFS, it's a complete waste of time looking at it as is looking at any one model that tries to tell you what the weather will be like months in advance! 

There's a reason that human input is put into the MetO fax charts and that's only at a couple of days out, so an automated forecast from a model months in advance is utterly pointless. Whatever time you are spending viewing the CFS, instead dive into the depths of each different teleconnection and how they can impact our weather and winters etc and watch your perception change. There's stacks to be learned, loads of helpful threads on here too with great explanations. It'll dismantle any creedance you hold for a 3-4 month in advance nonsense automated weather model like CFS. 

Poor old CFS keeps getting a bashing. So in its defence, here's the thoughts of Dr. Simon Lee of Reading University, on his excellent website. Worth a read.

CFSv2 ain’t that bad: tips on using long-range forecasts
Now, every time I mention CFSv2 forecasts, someone invariably replies with “but it’s garbage beyond week 3” or “the model changes day-to-day, just guesswork”. If this is true, why have I bothered putting effort into making CFSv2 charts? The answer is that CFSv2 isn’t actually as bad as some people find it to be. Part of my PhD involves looking at the longer-range forecasts from multiple modelling centres around the world – including CFSv2 – and in what I’ve seen (some of which is in a few upcoming papers), CFSv2 doesn’t stick out as being rubbish. Far from it, in fact. That doesn’t mean it’s the best — it isn’t — but it’s worthwhile to look at (especially as we all have access to it), and it does quite well considering it is 9 years old.

https://simonleewx.com/2020/05/31/cfsv2-aint-that-bad-tips-on-using-long-range-forecasts/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, Battleground Snow said:

It's not really nonsense is it?

It's a statistically proven phenomenon that has direct evidence of affecting the UK's climate in winter.

Granted, it's not sole influence, and not at a very high amplitude, but it can't be discounted either.

visual-cortex-globe-temperatures.png
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The Madden-Julian Oscillation is characterised by an eastward spread of large regions of enhanced and suppressed tropical rainfall, mainly observed over the Indian and Pacific...

2014-12-21_22-03-34.png

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFSBC_member (10).gif

And just to add if I may, the ECMWF extended range forecasting output (including the EC46) extensively uses MJO input data. This from the ECMWF themselves:

"An important source of predictability on the monthly time scale is the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO), characterized by an eastward propagation of convection in the tropics, typically initiated over the Indian Ocean. We have specific products to monitor and forecast MJO activity."

Source: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/documentation-and-support/extended-range-forecasts

• Thanks 5

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Not sure you could upgrade it to be fair

I am not sure it is that big a mystery. If some models don't engage it with the jet then there is no rapid cyclogenesis. So we await the ecm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
13 minutes ago, booferking said:

So there you have it pick your bones out of the following storm or no storm let's see what ecm and jma have to say.

UW120-21 (1).gif

gfs-0-120 (1).png

icon-0-120.png

arpegeeur-0-114.png

gem-0-120.png

That’s quite astonishing.  You would expect some differences between the models at T120, but not the total presence or absence of a feature like that!  The heights to the NE look stronger on the two that don’t develop it.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Poor old CFS keeps getting a bashing. So in its defence, here's the thoughts of Dr. Simon Lee of Reading University, on his excellent website. Worth a read.

CFSv2 ain’t that bad: tips on using long-range forecasts
Now, every time I mention CFSv2 forecasts, someone invariably replies with “but it’s garbage beyond week 3” or “the model changes day-to-day, just guesswork”. If this is true, why have I bothered putting effort into making CFSv2 charts? The answer is that CFSv2 isn’t actually as bad as some people find it to be. Part of my PhD involves looking at the longer-range forecasts from multiple modelling centres around the world – including CFSv2 – and in what I’ve seen (some of which is in a few upcoming papers), CFSv2 doesn’t stick out as being rubbish. Far from it, in fact. That doesn’t mean it’s the best — it isn’t — but it’s worthwhile to look at (especially as we all have access to it), and it does quite well considering it is 9 years old.

https://simonleewx.com/2020/05/31/cfsv2-aint-that-bad-tips-on-using-long-range-forecasts/

Its an interesting read for sure however as he states himself, it has huge model bias towards a weak polar vortex as the forecast time period increases. 

Any model with model bias will always present its issues, such as the GFS having a bias to blow up low pressure systems etc but if you have a model bias of something as significant as lowering the strength of the polar vortex as time increases, then I can't fathom how a model forecasting a time period so far in advance, on its face value, could ever be taken seriously. 

What his article explains is potentially how it could be used as something more useful, but on its face value, that far in advance, its almost useless.... I say almost, because even a broken clock is right twice a day

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Prior to the maybe storm it is frustrating how this shortwave to the north of Scotland appears to prevent deep cold from moving closer to uk on GFS 12z

918452807_h850t850eu(7).thumb.png.f35fd86042498730cb748e0340cbaf11.png

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
9 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Prior to the maybe storm it is frustrating how this shortwave to the north of Scotland appears to prevent deep cold from moving closer to uk on GFS 12z

918452807_h850t850eu(7).thumb.png.f35fd86042498730cb748e0340cbaf11.png

This seems to be a regular occurrence on the Norwegian coast...difference between a relatively warm sea and airmass from the cold land/continent I presume? happened last winter on the odd occasion.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Met keeping close eye on this low could be some wild weather next week, then what? 

Don't think anyone is sure! 

It's certainly got the potential to be a gamechanger! Here's hoping it heads for the continent and stays to our south and the scandinavian high can come over and say hi. It's been too long, dont be a stranger . The worry is of course it stays on the traditional jet trajectory and heads to our northeast and the azores high dominates us once again (Sigh).

• Like 1