Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have my fingers crossed for Thurs/Fri here in Mid Derbyshire. If ECM 00z is on the mark then I could see something pretty special. If GFS 06z is correct then it'll be marginal, and Belper doesn't tend to do well with marginal. At least it doesn't away from the hills to my north and west.

The position of tomorrow's low to my south may give a better indication of where Thursdays sweet spot will be.

Edit: Light snow shower outside my window right now

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
23 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Birmingham almost always misses out on any snow events (pretty much any interesting weather event actually) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this time round is no exception. BBC Weather has us down for some light snow tomorrow evening, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I disagree, that's being quite harsh on Birmingham.

Birmingham is one of the snowiest cities, especially in relation to other cities in the Midlands and South.

It's relatively high elevation and inland location helps. It can receive snow from the north west through the Cheshire Gap, from the east as there is no high ground to the east to stop the showers penetrating inland.

Also, it does do well in battleground setups being afterall in the middle.

Just because, this winter London has seen more snowfall (depth wise) doesn't mean this is a bad place for snow.

And you say 'any interesting weather' well Brums has had it fair share of tornadoes  and in recent years has had more thundery activity then parts of the south coast!

Edited by Midlander

Posted

🎵Hello darkness my old friend🎵

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board, Plant, Vegetation, Rainforest, Tree

Some showers are really intensifying around North Midlands/Yorkshire area at the moment though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
42 minutes ago, Midlander said:

Birmingham is one of the snowiest cities, especially in relation to other cities in the Midlands and South.

It's relatively high elevation and inland location helps. It can receive snow from the north west through the Cheshire Gap, from the east as there is no high ground to the east to stop the showers penetrating inland.

Just because, this winter London has seen more snowfall (depth wise) doesn't mean this is a bad place for snow.

And you say 'any interesting weather' well Brums has had it fair share of tornadoes  and in recent years has had more thundery activity then parts of the south coast!

43 minutes ago, Midlander said:

Birmingham is crap for interesting weather majority of the time

Posted
Just now, syed2878 said:

Birmingham is crap for interesting weather majority of the time

Maybe for interesting weather but for snow I think Brum does quite well

Posted

Models have trended Wednesday’s snow northward and Thursday’s southwards.

This has the potential to be a significant Snow-on-Trent event or a massive disappointment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
4 minutes ago, Midlander said:

Sorry but I am going to have to disagree. We don’t do very well for snow either. ☺️☺️

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Sorry but I am going to have to disagree. We don’t do very well for snow either. ☺️☺️

I think were actually a bit spoilt at times the evidence is there. The MO snow days chart show Birmingham does alright at the very least.

Edited by Midlander
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Birmingham almost always misses out on any snow events (pretty much any interesting weather event actually) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this time round is no exception. BBC Weather has us down for some light snow tomorrow evening, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah birmingham/coventry look to be missing out at the moment totally AGAIN..oh well be nice to see some rain though after the recent drought

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlander said:

I think were actually a bit spoilt at times the evidence is there. The MO snow days chart show Birmingham does alright at the very least.

I have to agree with you. Birmingham has generally been quite snowy over the years. I think memories are short and recently missing out on events has clouded memories

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, high ground birmingham said:

I have to agree with you. Birmingham has generally been quite snowy over the years. I think memories are short and recently missing out on events has clouded memories

Exactly, I know this winter its been unusual seeing London receive a dumping in December and ourselves were left cold and dry but they have waited many years for a significant snow event (5cm +). We've not had to endure that long a gap.

Even looking north, quite a few times you'll pop into to the Northwest regional thread and see them reporting rain and sleet only for it to fall as snow further inland in the Midlands. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Midlander said:

Exactly, I know this winter its been unusual seeing London receive a dumping in December and ourselves were left cold and dry but they have waited many years for a significant snow event (5cm +). We've not had to endure that long a gap.

Even looking north, quite a few times you'll pop into to the Northwest regional thread and see them reporting rain and sleet only for it to fall as snow further inland in the Midlands. 

Totally agree with that. Let’s see what happens over the next few days

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Midlander said:

For me  The Birmingham area  And the BC  are one of the best areas in the country for snow.  Excluding Scotland and the peaks etc.   Most years areas see Snow   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Light flurry here atm. Most probably not reaching the ground as there is virga.

Could contain: Tree, Grove, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Woodland, Sky, Cloud, Landscape

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

snow, here, now.  Very light though but its a start I guess

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know if my ears are deceiving me but I could swear I've just heard a rumble of thunder from one of the heavy showers to my south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Bright sunshine here.  Having just watched the Met Office deep dive, I have a feeling we may well miss out on the snow.  Time will tell. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

Bright sunshine here.  Having just watched the Met Office deep dive, I have a feeling we may well miss out on the snow.  Time will tell. 

Does The Triangle of Doom not just get bigger and bigger over time? 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Seems many here are not predicting snow tomorrow or Thursday, but tomorrow's low seems to be trending northwards a little more. Not expecting much, but wouldn't mind a day of frontal snow before spring arrives. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Very happy to see the sunshine again after what's felt like an eternity of cloudy days

In addition, some wintry showers and convective cloudscapes around. 

Could contain: Architecture, Building, Housing, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Sky, House, Roof

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Housing, Car, Person, House

Edited by Metwatch