Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

Hands up who would just be happy with a mild winter? It seems most (not everyone) is favourable for a cold winter. Don't get me wrong i like a cold day here and there if the sun is out and the winds are light but overall when i see the temperatures up at between 9-11c (next week) it makes me happier than seeing them struggle to 5-6c.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
37 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Hands up who would just be happy with a mild winter? It seems most (not everyone) is favourable for a cold winter. Don't get me wrong i like a cold day here and there if the sun is out and the winds are light but overall when i see the temperatures up at between 9-11c (next week) it makes me happier than seeing them struggle to 5-6c.

I don't mind mild if it's stormy.

• Like 7

Posted

Dull, grey, drizzly and breezy. No wonder people get excited over Atlantic storms. Absolutely thrilling.

Cannot for the life of me see the appeal of such weather. It's just a boring, unpleasant nuisance.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 07/12/2021 at 10:33, Weatherman_93 said:

Me! I feel like I'm a rare beast on this forum!

My preference is for a mild stormy winter with a barrage of low pressures, like in 2013/14. That was perfect (purely from a preference POV, obviously if it can come without loss of life, injury, flooding etc that'd be ideal).

• Like 4

Posted
41 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Dull, grey, drizzly and breezy. No wonder people get excited over Atlantic storms. Absolutely thrilling.

Cannot for the life of me see the appeal of such weather. It's just a boring, unpleasant nuisance.

For me it's much more exciting than watching the rest of the country covered in snow.

• Like 1

Posted
On 07/12/2021 at 12:54, Freeze said:

For me it's much more exciting than watching the rest of the country covered in snow.

Really cannot see what’s exciting about grey sky, rain and a breeze. Tedious and an absolute nuisance for outdoor plans. I can’t believe people go to the effort of chasing such storms when they could get more thrill out of staring at a brick wall.

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Really cannot see what’s exciting about grey sky, rain and a breeze. Tedious and an absolute nuisance for outdoor plans. I can’t believe people go to the effort of chasing such storms when they could get more thrill out of staring at a brick wall.

If you cannot see what's exciting about severe windstorms and torrential rain, then that's fine, but a lot on here do, we're called weather enthusiasts.

• Like 2

Posted
On 07/12/2021 at 13:20, Freeze said:

If you cannot see what's exciting about severe windstorms and torrential rain, then that's fine, but a lot on here do, we're called weather enthusiasts.

It’s like an art enthusiast getting a thrill out of watching paint dry.

The most boring type of weather there is. It’s absolute rubbish.

Thunderstorms or hurricanes I can understand. Not persistent rain, grey sky and occasional gusts.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It’s like an art enthusiast getting a thrill out of watching paint dry.

The most boring type of weather there is. It’s absolute rubbish.

Thunderstorms or hurricanes I can understand. Not persistent rain, grey sky and occasional gusts.

No ones getting excited over a bit of rain and grey skies, it's called storm barra. Why can't you just accept that?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
4 hours ago, Weatherman_93 said:

The problem with double figures this time of year (Dec and most of Jan - except the last week or so) is that it normally means rain and/or gloom. There are a few rare exceptions like January 1989 or January 2012, but they are rare - December and mild in particular is usually a very grim combination, though towards the end of January early spring-like weather becomes a realistic possibility.

Sunshine this time of year usually comes with N-ly, NW-ly or anticyclonic conditions, which generally give average temps at best.

6C and sunny for the next two months would be great in my book. We can then switch to mild in Feb, when the chance of mild AND sunny weather is very much greater than at present.

As I said I don't mind the odd powerful storm associated with a NW-SE jetstream, but it's the long unsettled spells and constant wet gloom, with occasional interludes of anticyclonic gloom (as typified by perhaps the most miserable winter of my lifetime, 2019/20) that isn't so good.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
22 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

So when is the front loaded winter supposed to start?

November 22nd. Lasting about two weeks.

But to be fair I have seen quite a few forecasts, including the netweather one, going for a backloaded winter. Also the GFS 06Z does look a more interesting run. A few days of very mild anticyclonic gloom to put up with next week, then the high heads towards Scandinavia and at one point a cold pool moves westwards towards the south.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
Spoiler

As has been mentioned, if it is mild in winter it is usually gloomy, wet and windy. Especially where I live. And the darkness at this time of year makes that worse (7 hrs 11 mins of daylight today with sunset 15:45) . And needing the light on to read at midday due to storm Barra.

I do like cold weather (for half the year) but found that after a month of ice days and extreme cold (for the UK )  in winter 2010 that I was very much wanting milder conditions.  When it was -15C or -20C in the morning going to work, most of the time it was also pretty gloomy as freezing mist took much of the day to clear though it did coat the trees in hoar frost.

If we had the drier cold with plenty of sunshine during the day that you get at more southerly latitudes I would have enjoyed it more so the next time we get an extended cold spell like that I would like it in March please. The "Beast from the East" was the right time of year and was much brighter but also relatively speaking, much milder and only lasted a week or so.

So if I could get bright, sunny and mild in winter for some of the time I would not be unhappy though I would not like it all winter. I suspect though that the only way I am going to get that will be to fly to Spain for a couple of weeks.

Posted
On 06/12/2021 at 15:53, cheese said:

An absolutely frigid day across Scandinavia and the Baltic states today. Anyone jealous?

spacer.png

Yea to a degree ..or lack of

Posted

This is worth moaning about ..like they  don't really know what will happen but hey ho ....in for a penny  .

ca_geoengineering.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Using geoengineering to help combat the effects of climate change could actually further harm the planet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

After quite an interesting start to the winter season, it looks like the tedium will be back from the weekend onwards. I don't really mind too much, just as long as it doesn't dominate throughout the winter.

The problem with high pressure at this time of the year is that it often leads to anticyclonic gloom.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 hours ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Met Office suggesting 14c by Sunday in the south west - yuk!

Don't mind that if it's dry, Monday looks very yucky, timed for daytime again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Give me storms any day, winter  for the south is rarely going to get snow or a decent snow fall lets be honest....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
3 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Give me storms any day, winter  for the south is rarely going to get snow or a decent snow fall lets be honest....

I like storms as well. Snow storms. I can't stand the rain/wind variety though. To me there's something magical about seeing everything blanketed in snow and ice. Still a big kid! But as you say, for your part of the world you don't get many bites of that particular cherry per winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
On 08/12/2021 at 15:15, Sceptical said:

The Scottish Ski centres must be delighted with the recent heavy snowfalls. The route fences are almost buried.

Screenshot_20211208-151245_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sad to say to turn a lot milder so most of the snow will dissappear,  not good for the Ski resorts at all

Posted

I swear the winters get wetter with every passing year after another night of sleet and wet snow there is mud everywhere.4c this morning and currently 3c with a ground frost starting to appear.The Moray Firth aera was always one of the driest areas in Scotland but is fast losing that reputation.

Posted
1 hour ago, Premier Neige said:

I like storms as well. Snow storms. I can't stand the rain/wind variety though. To me there's something magical about seeing everything blanketed in snow and ice. Still a big kid! But as you say, for your part of the world you don't get many bites of that particular cherry per winter. 

Id be happy just to see some flakes falling, but even that is turning into an impossible task on the south coastal fringe.

Posted
On 07/12/2021 at 13:42, Freeze said:

No ones getting excited over a bit of rain and grey skies, it's called storm barra. Why can't you just accept that?

A bit of rain, grey skies and occasional gusts is all it was, like all Atlantic storms. No need to pretend it was exciting when it was a borefest that was really irritating and unpleasant being out in last night.

Edited by MattStoke