IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, B-C said:

RAMP potential - This for the Midlands:

image.thumb.png.1b7917d9613197c65f28c842842f6c8a.png

So heads colder towards Christmas period or just before... going to leave this here and pop back in a week to see where it goes..❄️

Not on tonights runs! they're pants

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

After having to deal with some horrendous weather forecasting-wise (unsettled and chilly is just the worst!), I am very much welcoming the chilly but dull week ahead.

Posted

Was looking at a record I have of a bike ride I nipped out on last Christmas Day. Surprised to see it was just 2 degrees at 11ish. I definitely remember it was a fairly sunny day. 

Looks like it might well be similar this year. ☀️ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Very exciting 

image.thumb.png.ba828f555e4d6daa9e71423254d7aebf.png

I think we've had about an hour of sun in the last week too...

Very similiar to over here in the West Mids. At least the mild days are looking to be short lived and there are a few colder ones coming up. But it would be nice to have some sun with those colder days.

• Like 1

Posted

You think a fairly notably cold February must surely be around the corner. The last one was February 1991.

If last April can end up with a CET of 1.5C below its 1961-90 average then surely a February of that magnitude should be capable of occurring. That would be a CET of 2.3C, the coldest since February 1991.

Posted
8 hours ago, HellItsHot said:

Was looking at a record I have of a bike ride I nipped out on last Christmas Day. Surprised to see it was just 2 degrees at 11ish. I definitely remember it was a fairly sunny day. 

Looks like it might well be similar this year. ☀️ 

Christmas Day 2020 was fairly cold. It was barely scraping 3-4c in west London during the afternoon. I remember it being quite sunny and cold. Think it was the coldest Christmas Day in my area since 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Very similiar to over here in the West Mids. At least the mild days are looking to be short lived and there are a few colder ones coming up. But it would be nice to have some sun with those colder days.

I don’t mind some mild interludes. It’s a break from the biting cold wind and 6-7c weather which seemed to be around for a while.

The cold will be back eventually. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not really surprising models gone pants, E'lys won't happen unless Meto on board! never have been, and now models going that way

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t mind some mild interludes. It’s a break from the biting cold wind and 6-7c weather which seemed to be around for a while.

The cold will be back eventually. 

I don't mild interludes in winter here and there. I just don't want it to be the dominant weather setup of the season.

A variety is always best in my opinion. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Christmas Day 2020 was fairly cold. It was barely scraping 3-4c in west London during the afternoon. I remember it being quite sunny and cold. Think it was the coldest Christmas Day in my area since 2010.

Christmas Day 2020 will never be forgotten in this neck of the woods. Short drive above 300m and it was a winter wonderland, wife and I did a morning 10k run. 2 inches of powder snow at -2°C, absolute bliss. 
653CB7AF-27DB-48FA-B762-F8374F695E9F.thumb.jpeg.31613508a2841620add7c3bdffb35a78.jpeg465CD7ED-FFF9-4CC6-A2E8-D6D573C9A8F7.thumb.jpeg.a174eab34e610327f67c9f0dd2e2b053.jpegE4DA7540-34D2-4B17-9D77-6E324E3183DA.thumb.jpeg.e20cc92780ee6c1bad665bb13e692846.jpeg56E0B3B3-5A8C-44C9-BF8F-C193A7CB2156.thumb.jpeg.fc9d8632476ad5de8df7ffcb305b286e.jpeg179CC108-4D1E-49E3-95C2-F7F272AA7723.thumb.jpeg.b4c628c9b892ea04d1516bfd804683b6.jpegC50C8507-C06C-45D5-B9E8-7952A8947B97.thumb.jpeg.36b7135a921a9215c20c020ad8e3a15b.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
36 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Think I might have a week off from the forum.

"There's another Easterly push at +216hrs"!

One big model roller coaster ride and there will be plenty more this winter I'm sure!  At least we have interest this year compared to other years when models are just showing weeks of zonality! 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Don said:

One big model roller coaster ride and there will be plenty more this winter I'm sure!  At least we have interest this year compared to other years when models are just showing weeks of zonality! 

I've been on this ride for many years now. I'd say following the mod thread is more like being in the queue for the roller coaster, with all the excitement and anticipation waiting for your go, watching all the other riders on the coaster enjoying themselves. When eventually you get to the front of the queue you realise it's just a tea cup ride!

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Seasonal Trim said:

I've been on this ride for many years now. I'd say following the mod thread is more like being in the queue for the roller coaster, with all the excitement and anticipation waiting for your go, watching all the other riders on the coaster enjoying themselves. When eventually you get to the front of the queue you realise it's just a tea cup ride!

Sooooo true LOLOL!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

You think a fairly notably cold February must surely be around the corner. The last one was February 1991.

If last April can end up with a CET of 1.5C below its 1961-90 average then surely a February of that magnitude should be capable of occurring. That would be a CET of 2.3C, the coldest since February 1991.

Yes it's been a good while since the last one. In fact cold Februaries full stop have been rare in recent years; 2013 and 2018, and I think that's your lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just seen the BBC World weather presentation. Mentioned the word mild 8 times. No indication of Europe to turn colder towards Christmas. Only crumb was temperatures a little cooler towards the end of the week. referring to the British Isles. "Cooler is a summer phrase" ! Ok was not inspiring. Think , in future I will stick to watching the far superior Japanese weather presentation.

C

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
On 13/12/2021 at 09:21, Paul_1978 said:

There's been a short term model thread before, and it died a death a last time too. I think it might become busier when snow is imminent, but the general model thread will still remain the busiest thread I think, even when snow is on our doorstep.

Indeed the general model thread will remain busy like you say even when snow is on our doorstep because then people will start looking for the next break down and Atlantic onslaught. ☺️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite mild here for the last few days with temperatures reaching 7°C. All the snow has gone but skies are back to grey. It’s been a very cloudy period of weather, so am craving sunshine, this persistent gloomy dullness isn’t good for anybody.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
17 hours ago, carinthian said:

Just seen the BBC World weather presentation. Mentioned the word mild 8 times. No indication of Europe to turn colder towards Christmas. Only crumb was temperatures a little cooler towards the end of the week. referring to the British Isles. "Cooler is a summer phrase" ! Ok was not inspiring. Think , in future I will stick to watching the far superior Japanese weather presentation.

C

Not only that but it gets on my wick when BBC forecasters say mild with a smile I think they all mild rompers apart from a handfull. Anyway any word from your team of forecasters regarding snow and cold? I used to enjoy your updates from Austria you haven’t done any this season I don’t think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
40 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Not only that but it gets on my wick when BBC forecasters say mild with a smile I think they all mild rompers apart from a handfull. Anyway any word from your team of forecasters regarding snow and cold? I used to enjoy your updates from Austria you haven’t done any this season I don’t think.

Morning , I should just stop watching the news as well, its all gloom , just like that big high to develop over blighty! Funny enough, the resort and tourist office opens fully on Friday, so will then have access to our portal forecasting team thoughts. So , hopefully will give you all that are interested views from a foreign field as so to speak. Looks like the models still to sort themselves out  post weekend with regards to the movement of the UK high and the alignment of the North Atlantic jet. I suppose this will be crucial for the holiday weather .

C