Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!
2 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Thanks for the reply,

Much appreciated , similarly i wasn't having a dig at TI, a lot seems to get lost in translation it would seem, my little quips don't always translate in the written text, being a newbie to this obviously i maybe need to gauge the mood?

No not all, don't hold back. Say what you want to say (as in your personal analysis)...the 98% of folks on here are a really good bunch, always there to reply in a respectful and knowledgeable way. The mods are also here to warn or even ban people who step over the line. I can assure you I am just as 'new' to you on here...Been a member for 11 years, BUT, like you, mainly read, observe, laugh, cry, throw my toys out, hide behind the sofa, down a quick pint in readiness for the next run......you get my gist...welcome to the forum

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful sunny ☀️ day here in Prague at last, but I’m flying to London shortly for a 4 day work trip where it’s looking cloudy. 
Seems to be a fair bit of excitement in the mad thread....looking better for colder weather after Christmas?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Just seen BBC forecast,  and they went right out to Christmas eve. General trend is for the high to slip East and fronts to move in with rain and temps of 8c.

They ain't sitting on the fence. If it goes the other way, there will be some serious questions asked and a lot of red faces.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Just seen BBC forecast,  and they went right out to Christmas eve. General trend is for the high to slip East and fronts to move in with rain and temps of 8c.

They ain't sitting on the fence. If it goes the other way, there will be some serious questions asked and a lot of red faces.

The Met Office are forecasting temperatures to rise after Wednesday.

At this point nothing is settled.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Sceptical said:

The Met Office are forecasting temperatures to rise after Wednesday.

At this point nothing is settled.

Yes, all snow symbols removed for us and temperatures have increased to 5c rather than 2c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Weather is not looking promising for the Christmas Holidays here on the South Coast.  As usual, it looks like rain, wind and very (too) mild over the 3 days.  Not what I would like.  I can't remember the last time we had a cold Christmas Day down here.  

• Thanks 1

Posted

As I mentioned elsewhere, it might be best if we could avoid a cold spell, while we're suffering a major surge in Covid. For example - we're already short of HGV drivers; add to that a major dollop of sickness and there won't be anyone to drive the gritters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Chris Smith said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, it might be best if we could avoid a cold spell, while we're suffering a major surge in Covid. For example - we're already short of HGV drivers; add to that a major dollop of sickness and there won't be anyone to drive the gritters.

Always believed the colder it is, more the virus spreads and worse it is

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I’m all in for the cold.  Mixers out in the big fridge for Christmas !

BFTP

0F99454E-B6FF-402E-940B-364C6F0B4BF4.jpeg

62F346E6-B7C1-482E-80C0-B2548B7D93F1.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Rollo said:

I read somewhere that a bout of cold weather might quell the spread of Covid.

Still believe it is a seasonal virus, will be same every year with hardly anything from Apr to mid Sept,

Posted
3 hours ago, Rollo said:

I read somewhere that a bout of cold weather might quell the spread of Covid.

Only if everybody is snowed in!

Just consider however what happens if we do have significant snow what is going to happen to those needing hospitalisation. Some will not make it.

Posted

Of. Course you are right but the weather will do what the weather will do and it is many years since snow lovers got their true wishes.I was a young man inDecember 1962 and shiver at the thought that we could have a winter like that accompanied with a pandemic as well but now at 85 I just say que sera que sera.

Posted
On 17/12/2021 at 09:59, jules216 said:

There was no settled Snow in my Area this winter appart from 2x2cm that melted in 6 hours. Only narrow Strip of SW got about 10cm. It Has been the worst 1st half of december along with total snowless autumn I remember ever in my Lifetime. 

Had at least 20cm last week here in tropical Bratislava; closer to 40cm in parts of the Malé Karpaty. It mostly thawed on Tuesday but even today there are still patches left in the city centre:

IMG_20211218_150340.thumb.jpg.a19226cdb04bdb266aab52ebf1559d2d.jpg

I think you've been unlucky. It reminds me a bit of December 2019 but in reverse; Košice had a lot of snow but there was virtually nothing here. Let's just hope the rest of this winter pans out better than that one did!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

potentially historic conditions being shown this evening. while in no way am i attached to that outcome actually happening, it sure would be a brighter headline than what we're used to. especially over christmas too. excellent starting conditions to winter.

• Like 1

Posted

At the risk of sounding rather authoritarian, a part of me wonders whether posters with a history of bait-type posts in the model discussion should be banned from it. It seems time and time again every winter it happens. I actually think the majority of NW members are sensible and a great help at reading charts, you all helped me learn a great deal since now I can read weather charts, but there is def a minority amount of posters who seem to get a kick out of baiting people and being generally unhelpful. Soapbox moment over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?
1 minute ago, LetItSnow! said:

At the risk of sounding rather authoritarian, a part of me wonders whether posters with a history of bait-type posts in the model discussion should be banned from it. It seems time and time again every winter it happens. I actually think the majority of NW members are sensible and a great help at reading charts, you all helped me learn a great deal since now I can read weather charts, but there is def a minority amount of posters who seem to get a kick out of baiting people and being generally unhelpful. Soapbox moment over!

Maybe there are some model watchers who are hunting for mild. Some genuine posts which are backed up are shot down because it doesn’t meet with the wishes of the majority. I’m watching from the sidelines and it’s quite sad really. I hope people remember to be kind. The weather will do what it will do. No amount of if we could move this here or that there will change anything.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

Maybe there are some model watchers who are hunting for mild. Some genuine posts which are backed up are shot down because it doesn’t meet with the wishes of the majority. I’m watching from the sidelines and it’s quite sad really. I hope people remember to be kind. The weather will do what it will do. No amount of if we could move this here or that there will change anything.

Well, I'm not seeing it from a mild or cold perspective when I say it though, I agree with your sentiment exactly but I don't think it's as simple as that. But alas, the weather will do what it must regardless of whar we like!

Posted
20 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Always believed the colder it is, more the virus spreads and worse it is

Depending on the Virus

Just popped in. I can see the cold spell is being watered down daily with all the models struggling. 

Taking the mean it's clear to see its Scotland, maybe Wales and hills of Northern england who might see some white stuff. And almost certainly a return to milder and very much wetter weather quickly after.

Not a moan (I only use the moaning thread) but just saying how it is.