Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 11/12/21

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 12/12/2021 at 18:51, MATTWOLVES said:

Ok folks I've decided I'm getting the drinks in for all of us this Xmas....

Now I'm gonna breakdance...

beer-german.gif

ECH1-216.gif

Could i have one on ice please Matt

ECM at day ten is looking super to me and i bet that there would be a reload from the NE looking at that,great set of outputs this afternoon,...the high is set now,that's step one,...step two is to build it sufficiently north to allow for cold feed underneath the high,...step three,...well we hope for retrogression of the high then a poss reload,....that's my dream anyway

oh!!!,....and check out that black hole anomaly

ECH1-240.thumb.gif.a82f95a6eac84e30f8385f9f1ad526d2.gifECH0-240.thumb.gif.8ea55fd16a66c833039e9fabcb40382d.gifECH101-240.thumb.gif.6c0ea4124b6d1e75bc470ecff343a28e.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

And...

There we have it.

EC on board...

image.thumb.png.65a3bcdcf773e2a7723615eb81fa9c98.png

Not just on board, but leading the pack.  I’ve been saying for some days now that the key is WAA up the western coast of Greenland.  

And ECM has this right on, at T144:

E309E822-4494-47E3-A96C-E6EFFFAED870.thumb.jpeg.de82c4514be5b59bbafb141c2875c7a5.jpeg

To cement this, we need the low marked X to diminish in intensity (it seems to me that it has been on recent runs), if that happens then so will the Greenland high, in my opinion. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Ok looking good but METO extended not on board yet, wait their next update before getting carried away. Happier when METO and ECM are aligned, another day or so maybe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

What a suite of 12z runs. I reckon even UKMO (the least favourable for cold tonight) would eventually build pressure somewhere to our North, NW or NE but just do it more slowly

But let's not forget that tomorrow could bring less positive runs but it might not mean it's the end of any wintry potential. The eventual fate of this High pressure building from the south over us will be a tricky one to forecast so let's not despair if tomorrow is not looking as good

Some of the posts last night were bizarrely negative... and from some experienced posters too, which was surprising

Edited by LRD
Typo
  • Like 6

On 11/12/2021 at 19:11, Kasim Awan said:

I think the ECM may just be playing catchup and I fully expect it to resolve in the next 36 hours or so, by which time it will have joined the gfs control & gem in a clean push of heights towards Svalbard & cold into central Europe.

@ICE COLD seen as you're the first at it ❄Well, a truly pleasurable evening of model watching for all of us. I can't see any decent chance of downgrades at this stage, given the cross model pivotal changes seen recently.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's a fluid picture..

Today has seen a swing to cold ..

Upgrades anticipated tomorrow...

( nothing is a a given of course, but things looking very interesting now ).

They certainly are Nws.

The models have ebbed and flowed this week between colder and milder outcomes with the high. 

It's good that as the time gets closer they seem to be firming up more towards a  wintry outcome. As you say nothing is a given just yet, but the fact that the colder outcomes tie in well with background signals like mjo always lends a tingle of excitement.to the model watching.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bobd29 said:

Ok looking good but METO extended not on board yet, wait their next update before getting carried away. Happier when METO and ECM are aligned, another day or so maybe.

Met seems to be on board.As HP moves north next weekend we begin to drag a North easterly feed  .Interesting to see temperatures in Sweden fall towards next weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

It's a fluid picture..

Today has seen a swing to cold ..

Upgrades anticipated tomorrow...

( nothing is a a given of course, but things looking very interesting now ).

Genuine Question. Why are we anticipating it to be upgrades? I know it’s been the direction of travel thus far, but surely it could as easily go the other direction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
On 12/12/2021 at 19:20, MHW21 said:

Genuine Question. Why are we anticipating it to be upgrades? I know it’s been the direction of travel thus far, but surely it could as easily go the other direction.

Yes of course it can.  

• Like 2

Posted

Evening all

The mood has lightened here somewhat after the 12z output. ECM reminds us cold air can find its way even without a storm force E'ly and a 960MB LP in the Channel.

Many of the other model outputs suggest a period of cold conditions around the Christmas period - not surprisingly, longevity and severity still very much to be resolved.

This morning's 6Z GFS showed how inversion makes nonsense of the 850s and promotes ice days. 

We aren't there on the GFS 12Z OP but still seasonably brisk in the run up to the big day - note the warmth in the Southern North Sea:

image.thumb.png.b551162e03fedcc7c1e9e8461e784a41.png 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stodge said:

Evening all

The mood has lightened here somewhat after the 12z output. ECM reminds us cold air can find its way even without a storm force E'ly and a 960MB LP in the Channel.

Many of the other model outputs suggest a period of cold conditions around the Christmas period - not surprisingly, longevity and severity still very much to be resolved.

This morning's 6Z GFS showed how inversion makes nonsense of the 850s and promotes ice days. 

We aren't there on the GFS 12Z OP but still seasonably brisk in the run up to the big day - note the warmth in the Southern North Sea:

image.thumb.png.b551162e03fedcc7c1e9e8461e784a41.png 

Given this comment on the warmer temps in the Souther North Sea, can you clarify the significance of this?

cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
3 minutes ago, jon snow said:

Have I missed anything..?..apart from the last 100 pages…  …anyway, although I’m a part timer on here now, the ECM 12z day 9 and 10 piqued my interest for sure!…I feel the best chance to arrive at a cold festive period is from an anticyclonic spell.. short term pain = long term gain…hopefully!

91D4DB2A-0C6F-452B-8D77-B5CD93D59CB6.thumb.png.ee8ffcc7c15765439719934246d5d95b.png

Nice to have you back mate. Todays exitement although good is not the same without your input...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Patience is a virtue, Still my bet is on an Easterly and  possibly  a White Christmas, Many more swings and turns to come of course but I am quietly confident that the goods will show

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
7 minutes ago, DOdo said:

Patience is a virtue, Still my bet is on an Easterly and  possibly  a White Christmas, Many more swings and turns to come of course but I am quietly confident that the goods will show

Some great looking charts tonight but I'm still a little on the pessimistic side as it stands right now in terms of 'White' Christmas - (or indeed snowfall of a notable extent at any period in the next 1-2 weeks) .. all depends on the location of the high etc.

image.thumb.png.4aa15e7e55298a37f413889ed90dce70.png

As ever with a more Easterly influence precipitation is often somewhat limited but it depends on a number of things..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM op is an 850s outlier at Days 9 and 10

image.thumb.png.fc2fee857fb4af52f24b6492ed66f305.png

But in this scenario, 850s don't tell the whole story. Will be interesting to see the clusters later

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted

Just been thinking to a couple of weeks back when ECM dished out some crackers around day 9 and 10 for a day or so.  Is there anything this time round to introduce a little more confidence that ECM is not stringing us along again 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Ukmo not on board yet. This isn’t nailed on by any means. It’s been a good evening but let’s get past Tuesdays 12z.

3C33B1B6-C358-4D54-846F-CD2318D79E28.png

2BD5F8C4-08E3-403B-B89A-44CD32CF1093.png

5050F247-F26D-4144-8687-9A3070E30364.gif

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
38 minutes ago, Bobd29 said:

Exactly I totally agree until Exeter is on board I will keep my feet firmly grounded I remember the ECM back in 2012 The easterly saga T72 yet the next day it all imploded the easterly that never was. Still have nightmares about that particular ECMWF episode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A promising ECM mean at tt240hrs -850s-European view

EDE0-240.thumb.gif.c61796fd3e546dbc6918acaba86bd27d.gif

That cold from the east getting very close.If that Scandinavian trough broadens a little more we could well be seeing deeper cold across us by Christmas.

• Like 9