Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Christmas approaches

Paul
Message added by Paul,

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I think it’s too early to say in all honesty .

The morning trends have been encouraging though. 

i think its a good thing that we still have a few days yet.meaning if it was tuesday or wednesday it would be set in stone,but there is still chance for some improvements!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Late to the party but what a run from gfs6z. Seemingly reinforcing cold from ne with reasonable greenland block in place. I know at the bottom end of the ensembles but not an outlier....this story aint over yet me thinks....

h500slp.thumb.png.dcb2039c10b6f97dc805ab64fdf23558.png

New years day interest...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

does this JMA run go all the way?

No thats the furthest the 6z goes to my knowledge.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Paul_1978 said:

Totally agree - how people can complain at this run I can't understand, it's one of the best model runs I've ever seen! 

Don't you be bloody jinxing things Paul

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
12 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

At 120h, I can certainly live with these two most reliable Op runs, ECM and UKMO:

18dec0EC-120.thumb.png.4c6dfadb70bd970ef70eaf2ed4631f00.png18dec0UK-120.thumb.png.5e4749992ee91442a14748edc3bc73c7.png

The Norwegian Problem seems less of an issue run by run.
It's good to see consistent improvements in the reliable, Christmas is not inside that lead time yet, so no need for panic (Well, even if Christmas and the rest of winter turns out to be horrible, there is still no need for panic. Panic never helps, does it? )

The EPS regime chart lets us move into NAO- (Greenland High), there is no doubt about that. Compared to yesterday, it does not continue into Negative blocking (Scandinavian trough) as enthusiastically anymore, stalling in the NAO- section. New height rises, or perhaps I should say, less reduction of heights to our North/Northwest could be the reason behind that slowing down.

17decEPS-regimes.thumb.png.a46d02c96768e38f83ab9703da89a6e5.png18decEPS-regimes.thumb.png.1f5bbad35f02762240a84c84e152d96d.png

EPS in general has a tremendous spread already from day 5 onward. Many cold and mild options. Confidence in any outcome should be very low at this moment, but the massive height rises in higher latitudes that we keep seeing in ext clusters should give coldies hope that we may properly benefit sometime in the next few weeks. If not at Christmas, then maybe later on.

EPS plume for De Bilt shows this spread.

18dec0EPS-pluim.thumb.png.3455faa2121c4e8906596c60a5ef8aec.png

Just for fun: There is one member that goes for a 2m minimum of -20c and a maximum of -10 on the 29th.
Is that possible? Yes, otherwise it would not have shown up. In early February 2012, reality turned out to be even colder than the entire ensemble at that lead time had it. Who knows?

So, synoptically (big picture setup), the upcoming period is very exciting.
When it comes to actual experienced weather, we will have to wait and see. Neither excitement nor despair are justified atm.

Great Post. Thoughtfull, informative and useful, thanks oh and know hyperventilating  

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
9 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Totally agree - how people can complain at this run I can't understand, it's one of the best model runs I've ever seen! 

Exactly, who would say no to this outcome in January? Only snow lovers in Tours, France, I think .

GFSsnow.thumb.png.9da975142b16f55df319edb7263e61d1.pngGFStemp.thumb.png.220bdc7c1088309a3c995da552ed1600.png

• Like 6

Posted
18 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

And there be the point... Where be higher risk areas... Im saying the whole lot ends up in the channel and northern France and we are in a cold slack airmass with little features popping up... 

Cold wise there’s more margin for error the further north you are . We’ve seen in the past lows end up doing what you mentioned . It wouldn’t be a big shock. 

Posted
48 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Thank you..  p1 or 11 please sub zero Max’s top to bottom.. all have Scotland in the cold air and there some shocker with 13c as max in south..

Yep, just looking through them as best I can and the message seems to be 'computer says no' for the south & SE. South midlands northwards your in the game though. They are just a snapshot for 6am in the morning so don't tell us too much.

Posted

Just been asked what the weather will be like for Xmas ………

told her it could be anything from balmy sou’wester’s to wet and windy to frosty and clear to 6” of snow ………

she thinks I’m useless anyway …..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

told her it could be anything from balmy sou’wester’s to wet and windy to frosty and clear to 6” of snow ………

LOL.

I'm leaning back to cold up here Blue.

But at this range a swing of 100 miles changes everything...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Behave, you definitely would have used the word envelope.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

My friend says her mother thinks the same, they'll believe us when the BBC says it, now nicknamed the the BBF (British Bad Forecasters)

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
41 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Hello , Hello , Hello . What do we have here then !!! 

CDE7B58F-8700-4AE6-9654-16A0DDE5329D.gif

9CAF9F1B-D562-4BDC-9539-29977D2E6A4B.gif

24DDEF35-AA8E-4C6A-98AC-DA4B6C22F0F4.gif

7A779410-2B7F-4618-95EA-EF60B417478F.gif
Loving the JMA 

Perfect (IMBY)

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Can I ask a favour. I can't find the icon on metiociel home screen. Since my stroke my cognitive stuff is alover the shop. Could some screenshot it please. Also at asl what is the drop in 850s if anyone can show, tia

B9AEB24E-A8B4-4C10-9829-F98D580AF3BB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

La Manche low being mentioned by TWO this is what it would do with its current position, a lot of change to come though 

IMG_0465.PNG

That's for 28th.. if we are lucky I would hope to see something similar for 24th / 25th..

Posted

Fabulous 6z run. 

I still reckon the models are being too progressive, that this cold block is going to win the battle comfortably and that we may see an intensifying of the cold uppers but also, possibly, at the same time a drier stranglehold. Those fronts coming in from the west are not going to make it very far in my humble estimation. At some point Kent and Essex will really cop it.

Cold will win and embed for at least a week or two.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Smithy said:

Fabulous 6z run. 

I still reckon the models are being too progressive, that this cold block is going to win the battle comfortably and that we may see an intensifying of the cold uppers but also, possibly, at the same time a drier stranglehold. Those fronts coming in from the west are not going to make it very far in my humble estimation. At some point Kent and Essex will really cop it.

Cold will win and embed for at least a week or two.

Well we are all hoping.

So close to something tremendous ..

( if you like cold weather)

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well we are all hoping.

So close to something tremendous ..

( if you like cold weather)

Yeah maybe not so tremendous given the sitn in the country I guess.

Edited by Mark Smithy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The government is fully behind the GFS 06 hrs run as it could stop households mixing ! Snow induced lockdown !

Definitely- bozza watching the 6z unfold....

DC505F86-BF78-4990-B79E-712D64F89857.jpeg

70F7F156-AE32-4C5D-9BA3-B8DF484BCF01.jpeg

• Like 3