Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold - Christmas countdown

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

There’s a lot more high pressure to the south today unfortunately and I think that is a big problem and unless that gets shunted away or weaker then I think anywhere away from the north will not see any of the white stuff at Christmas 

• Like 2

ECM 120 not too dissimilar to the UKMO, though it's a 100-ish miles further north with the cold air. Still you'd favour Mids northwards for snow potential at t144.

image.thumb.png.6115e36c08583eae842dd85aa545a1b6.png

edit: t144 fails to bring the cold further south, with only Scotland favoured for snow. As CS says, the fading of heights to the NW so suddenly is a real puzzler. It was a lot different 24 hours ago!

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted

Time to say goodbye to the chance of Christmas Day snow for those south of Sheffield. Gutted but maybe some wintry options after Christmas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.39bf4a4665c975b09772f169ffc1f800.png

Control develops into something tasty very very late on

Posted

I will always refer to John and Mushy with regard to forecasts.And why? Well kids,it’s time to grow up and measure yourselves against the reality of the reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 5 vs yesterdays day 6

image.thumb.png.c5bb9b7d4e17c52a5aa90a999859ab29.png   image.thumb.png.945e3026e1ab7308a825604bd527139f.png

I think the key difference is really the substantial reduction in heights to the north west. I don't even know what you would call it, it isn't a phantom high because the high is there at quite substantial strength, but it then tends to fade to a degree in situ. It is hard to really grasp on where things are going because you could easily start to call time, only for a wedge of heights to remain around Iceland that might give the snowy conditions people want. 

The consistency is very poor, but we need to see where the shift lands overall and not be taken in by runs at the moment too much. The same is true for any that look good as well.

• Like 1

Posted

4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Let the run run matey

I think it was clear to see.

Scotland in game but most out of it, I still think this has some room for manoeuvre but time is narrowing. Saving Xmas might be too much of an ask now.

Day 6 00z v 12z 

DDF95627-4656-42C5-9107-802961D03134.thumb.png.b1a53241922b478fb23d1e7079250df2.png3018766F-6B98-4CEB-A482-AE4CBB334009.thumb.png.0f6e02a679ebee83af4cb3a2ffa31611.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, weathercold said:

Fair play to GFS, looks like it’s called this excellently. Many of us champion UKMO and ECM…this is one great feat for the often underestimated GFS.

Nothing has verified yet, my friend  No time for congratulations until this has fully played out. We're still looking at t144 for Christmas at the mo, which is well into FI given the synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.e588fa58e0c4b3614e7020da5ef90bd1.png

At 120 it looks half decent just push SSE a bit more pleaseeeeee

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Well, that was an exhilarating cold chase, but the game has ended for me. 
I certainly will not forget the blizzard across Central England that was shown on yesterday GFS18Z; that was something special to see.
I now look ahead to the stratosphere and hope an SSW can redeem this lost chance.

Edited by Midlander
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Look at the nhp at 144 hrs on the ec 12z  and look at  the 6z  ec at  168 hrs. Should show you whats going on synoptically and the fluidity atm

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

There’s a lot more high pressure to the south today unfortunately and I think that is a big problem and unless that gets shunted away or weaker then I think anywhere away from the north will not see any of the white stuff at Christmas 

Spot on. It’s been on the cards for the last few days.. unless we can get shot of these heights to the south, it’s pretty much game over… the low is just going to barrel through us and not slide 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

And just a reminder on the ECM weeklies from Thursday (three days ago!)...

Screenshot_20211219-183008.thumb.png.53b60be4577d9c5774c6bef7b585cfff.png

Edited by Bullseye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ukmo very much out in its own now!! If it’s had things correct it’s pulled off a MASSIVE achievement!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5