Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold - Christmas countdown

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Thanks for replying...

I have back winded it and they are forecast that the high to our North West (Griceland) is shown to be draining away across us,  in 2days time,  and for it to be sitting in Italy by Xmas!!

Furthermore they have the low in the Atlantic as a massive feature (covering 3/4 of it), with fronts approaching the SW by Thursday. The were forecasting rain for Xmas day, but suggested if you want snow that it may turn to snow over the Grampians, so a long journey was required.

Without charts they then stated that some models were showing that it may turn to snow after Boxing Day.

I did not see the overnight runs last night.   Are they still using those?

I had seen before that they use the ECM and presumably would not have been able to include the latest ECM. So was this forecast 18:30 (BBC1)  based upon the ECM from 00z last night?.

Incredible if true.

MIA

I've heard it said before mate,but I can't pass it off as true.. being as the ecm 12z was running when that broadcast was covered I would say its highly unlikely that the 12z would have been referenced too.

Perhaps a blend of the ecm 0z and ukmo that started earlier! And I wonder if they are using any of the data from mogreps now? They seem to be sitting on the fence alot these days,and for me they seem to go out of there way to bring a different forecast than Exeter...almost sounds like point scoring I know!

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, mulzy said:

MOGREPS 60/40 for cold/mild for London 26th-28th.  Trending the right way!

Great news mate thanks for the updates in these topsy turvy times.

I've thrown that many towels in I need to go and purchase some more !! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
15 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Early view of eps up to day 9 is underwhelming - nowhere near as good as the gefs.  Disappointed!

@disapointed!- don’t be.. the America model is the sober 1 within 0-/144 hrs.. you’ll see this opening up through nxt 2/3 suits in raw 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Yep..we should be getting tonight's update come Friday

Looks likely that this won't be sorted now til Wednesday...I think we should be much more confident on the outcome by then.

Then the Beeb should know by new years eve what's going to happen Christmas day.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
6 minutes ago, Grimplet said:

Then the Beeb should know by new years eve what's going to happen Christmas day.

Clearly rapid Climate Change will be the cause.

MIA 

• Like 6

Posted

Pity we couldn't have the ECM really add to a wave of convergence this evening which keeps us all guessing.

It has moved in the right direction but not enough and I'll be hoping for better tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Really good to see a few more stamps with the low south of the uk on Xmas day, happy to see the mogreps starting to trend colder. Hear all the time about how highly rated they are. 

8554C6F9-D6D5-4B26-808F-4E60C9F4A500.png

Edited by iowpompeylee
  • Like 3

Posted

Wow this place is electrically charged this evening.  Even  between runs we have posts mogreps improve and then in  the blink of eye it's all taken away by reports of a poor ECM essemble suite.. 

I'm going for a 10 min nap . Before ec46 that will generate debate before we start over with 18z..

Mad Rory Reid GIF by AutoTraderUK

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

Really good to see a few more stamps with the low south of the uk on Xmas day, happy to see the mogreps starting to trend colder. Hear all the time about how highly rated they are. 

8554C6F9-D6D5-4B26-808F-4E60C9F4A500.png

Remember that's max temperature as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Which run is the best for maybe not getting the white Xmas but bringing the BIGGER chance of either going into the freezer (I'll take a cold fridge ) and bringing a better snow event or prolonged cols spell 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
7 minutes ago, Lincstim said:

Which run is the best for maybe not getting the white Xmas but bringing the BIGGER chance of either going into the freezer (I'll take a cold fridge ) and bringing a better snow event or prolonged cols spell 

At the moment even if the Xmas cold lands its very shortlived. Not any model showing anything sustained as things stand on model output  

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Quite bizarre . The ECM ensembles for London seem on a different planet to the GEFS.

Not a single ECM ensemble for London gets below -5 upto day 10. Yet on the GEFS there’s quite a few .

One model and its ensembles are going to be eating a large piece of humble pie over the next days.

Im goin for the gfs to backdown!!!only because normallyy its the milder air that wins BUT ecm has moved towards the gfs so you never know!!!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Im goin for the gfs to backdown!!!only because normallyy its the milder air that wins BUT ecm has moved towards the gfs so you never know!!!

I'm going for upgrades earlier on in the run as a hunch 

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, swfc said:

At the moment even if the Xmas cold lands its very shortlived. Not any model showing anything sustained as things stand on model output  

Kind of my view too, hundreds of posts on what is in effect a few hours of marginal snowfall . Many folks saw a lot more than that earlier this winter  

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Quite bizarre . The ECM ensembles for London seem on a different planet to the GEFS.

Not a single ECM ensemble for London gets below -5 upto day 10. Yet on the GEFS there’s quite a few .

One model and its ensembles are going to be eating a large piece of humble pie over the next days.

My box of eggs are ready pal.. and I think I know which way I’m chucking em

Posted
1 minute ago, JoeShmoe said:

Kind of my view too, hundreds of posts on what is in effect a few hours of marginal snowfall . Many folks saw a lot more than that earlier this winter  

Agree Joe. We had about 10cm of snow last December on the 28th. I can’t see us beating Christmas 2020 this year 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

It occurs.

11th Feb this year.

20210211_075855_remastered.jpg

I can vouch for that,live over the hill from you,cracking winter,from Christmas Eve till the end of February,plenty snow and minus temps.Fingers crossed for a repeat this winter??

Posted

Evening all

On we go along the edge for another 24 hours - I really did think after yesterday's step back we could see a big flip to milder charts this evening but that hasn't happened as yet.

My original take of a brief milder incursion into southern areas followed by a return to something colder on Boxing Day or this time next week still seems to be in the frame but so do many other options at this time.

As we've often said, micro variations on a regional level can make a huge difference in our small corner of the globe.

Looking further on and I now see GFS Control offering an alternative to the mild/very mild options previously on offer for the New Year. By having the mid-Atlantic LP stalling further west, it allows a general rise of pressure across NW Europe so we get another shot at a Scandinavian HP. The problem is if the Atlantic LP is too close, we get the classic west-based NAO set up with the Greenland HP no help and the Azores HP moving to Iberia and pulling up a very mild SW'ly flow.

• Like 2