Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

On YouTube looking at live cams. Looking at Dawlish at the moment near Exeter, literally a breezy day

not working today (self employed) on the back of this. Won’t be pleased if it turns out another overhype

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

It’s a strange one-had a look at store Eunice thread last night and people saying Met office should be putting SE IN red warning(that was duly issued at 3.45am).Now people are saying that winds don’t seem to be as strong as forecast and I bet those same people come 9pm tonight criticise the Met office for putting out a Red warning??‍♂️.They really are in a no win situation aren’t they.I hope the Met office are wrong in putting out a red warning and things aren’t as bad as forecast as that will mean less damage caused which will surely be good for all of us?

I for one work outside for a living and have cancelled all my jobs just as a precaution.It only takes one roof tile to fly off hit you on the bonce and it could be goodnight Vienna!!Better to be safe than sorry.Stay safe everyone.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Oaks said:

Wasn't the 87 storm 974 ?

Screenshot_20220218-083142_Barometer Plus.jpg

It dropped to 957mb. Still not the lowest recorded in the Uk, being 925mb ... weird stuff happened that night, the temperature massively increased before the worst hit, which we now call a sting-jet, but at the time it was theorised thingy.

Edited by VillagePlank
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

It’s a strange one-had a look at store Eunice thread last night and people saying Met office should be putting SE IN red warning(that was duly issued at 3.45am).Now people are saying that winds don’t seem to be as strong as forecast and I bet those same people come 9pm tonight criticise the Met office for putting out a Red warning??‍♂️.They really are in a no win situation aren’t they.I hope the Met office are wrong in putting out a red warning and things aren’t as bad as forecast as that will mean less damage caused which will surely be good for all of us?

I for one work outside for a living and have cancelled all my jobs just as a precaution.It only takes one roof tile to fly off hit you on the bonce and it could be goodnight Vienna!!Better to be safe than sorry.Stay safe everyone.

Met Office warnings are weather warnings with respect to human-life, and welfare.

So, the criteria for a red-warning in Scotland, or indeed the SW is different for that in London and the South East. Given that c.70mph gusts are expected in the most saturated population in the Uk, during the day, it's probably warranted. The forecast gusts haven't changed much since yesterday, and I expect the probability of those gusts occurring has achieved such a likelyhood that it was time to issue the red when they did.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

As if Eunice is running to some sort of train timetable.

"The storm now arriving in the SW will be delayed for about an hour. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by not having 70mph gusts exactly at 7.23am"

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting we got a red. Currently just breezy, but then it shouldn't pick up until late morning / early afternoon. My local MO weather station is Northolt, i'll punt for a maximum gust of around 70mph. Not expecting more than a few bins, odd fence panel down, the a couples of branches or so here. Still, couldn't hit at a worse time though.

Posted

Wind gradually picking up here, mixed in are a few fair sized gusts, nothing ott yet though, later on will be a different matter I think. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

To young for 87! I'm 28 so wasn't even in the universe yet.. 

Was speaking to my dad last night about 87 difference to this storm is trees are not in leaf which makes a huge difference to surface area. 

87 also saw gusts of over 100mph even in London which I don't think we will see today   

Yes 100 % like big sails they was ..just starting to get a bit more gruesome in Orpington where I'm working ..rain not bad but is gattling down now wind gust are stronger 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

Brightening up here and with it the winds have notably increased in the last few minutes with some stronger gusts 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Having some meaty gusts here, I suppose being so close to the Thames is helping?

• Like 1

Posted

Winds now definitely picking up, gusts in the high 40s, just done another dog walk, just in case I cant get out til late, the howling sounds around the trees arent nice when you're standing under them! So yep looks like it could get a bit nasty this afternoon.

Posted

When the blue sky arrives, you're in the start of the build-up of winds. It's going to catch a lot of people out. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Already seeing gusts of around 50mph in exposure in Bexhill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, Wivenswold said:

When the blue sky arrives, you're in the start of the build-up of winds. It's going to catch a lot of people out. 

Wait for the "is that it" posts to arrive shortly lol

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, North Easterly Breeze said:

House shaking gust just now on the Essex coast. 12-2pm is going to be awful. 

Southend weather station showing a 50mph gust recently. 20-30 mph to go!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
19 minutes ago, North Easterly Breeze said:

House shaking gust just now on the Essex coast. 12-2pm is going to be awful. 

Just had couple real scary gusts if this was happening at night I'd be burying under covers soon lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just had a gust here on the Essex coast of 51mph with my hand held Kestrel...skies clearing and feels somewhat windier than an hour ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Lovely and sunny at the moment here . Just one issue. Its a tad Windy ?. The cat is going mental because we will not let him out . Bless him .

• Like 2