Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - The start of 2022

Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model-based discussion.  Some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less chat and a more straight-up model discussion take a look at the alternate model discussion

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Get in there, looks great again 

6C24637A-0ABD-4171-BAC5-8043CF5D11F5.png

Just need to get that down to T0!  The roller coaster will start imminently 

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

A very long way to countdown, but good that vortex looks to move across at day 8-9

gfsnh-0-312 (5).png

Angle of attack not as good as the 12z but it's trends rather than specifics at the minute , and the trend is good so far 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Diff polar profile on the 18z - will the MAR extend towards the pole or be toppled 

the 12z was nigh on perfect with the heights coming across from the other side of the NH to meet our ridge 

You know that we should all be relieved that the pub run didn't come up with the epitome of the 12z nirvana. It makes the 12z nirvana more likely to verify. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Is it true? Is the chase back on?

Didn’t you know that Jan is a write off for any cold .

I think the chase is back on, be nice to see it inside 10 days to get the ECM and GEM take on things. 

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

The current gfs fi op evolution is supported right up to the upper reaches of the strat 

this gives it a little more credence than would usually be the case with week 2 fi gfs op runs 

Plus it was always the king of Greenland height rises. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

It’s all too far out imho for those cold charts. Remember what was progged for the Christmas period and the flip just two days out for the worse.

Wait until these charts verify much nearer the time hehe getting yourselves too excited , save being let down too much that way. Gfs does overcook these types of cold scenarios. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, bluearmy said:

The current gfs fi op evolution is supported right up to the upper reaches of the strat 

this gives it a little more credence than would usually be the case with week 2 fi gfs op runs 

+ you've got to say that's as good a run to run consistency as your ever likely to get (although not perfection) with GFS 300 hours charts.

• Like 2

Posted
On 05/01/2022 at 23:10, Ali1977 said:

I think the chase is back on, be nice to see it inside 10 days to get the ECM and GEM take on things. 

Well.. we shall see won’t we! The weather will only have the last laugh!

yes it’ll be nice to have them on board but plenty of time for that.. remember it has to be one to sniff the potential first.. I thought gfs was good at doing that.. time will tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ukmo HD has a non event for the south @friday snow.. with the Chanel taking the precipitation!.. but others ( models)say differently.. tomorrow will be the wiper screen day on this.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

You know that we should all be relieved that the pub run didn't come up with the epitome of the 12z nirvana. It makes the 12z nirvana more likely to verify. 

It doesn't do too bad though

gfsnh-0-366.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Hi all,...just catching up in here with numerous pages to read over the last few days

it seems that today has forced me into posting again 

the 12z op and control was a thing of beauty and well within the envelope of the 12z gefs ens

another good run from the 18z gfs and showing some consistency with an Atlantic ridge retrogressing west to allow a trough to drop down into Scandi

gfsnh-0-324.thumb.png.140d331181b88b34f757577112a30502.png

here is the 12z gefs ens mean 850's in the extended from 300> out to day 16

gfs-ens_T850a_eu_51.thumb.png.08beae089ee597799d1e0928c393144b.pnggfs-ens_T850a_eu_59.thumb.png.8a3bf2b5a6deed58ff8ad604a59c9b49.pnggfs-ens_T850a_eu_65.thumb.png.f5fafc4413c3c4c52684ccbbe06da403.png

and the NH height anomalies for the same time scales

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_51.thumb.png.045acb79aafbc0efaf79d7dee6b87f38.pnggfs-ens_z500a_nhem_59.thumb.png.9ea9759318cc726e59c330f683cca9d2.pnggfs-ens_z500a_nhem_65.thumb.png.dba3844c0f025e1f9117f6e70d6aeb93.png

^these charts have some cross polar flow support as is showing in the det runs from the gfs and some gefs ens.the eps up to day ten doesn't show this as this forecasted cold spell is beyond day ten(i do not have access to the ext) ,maybe @mulzy and the few might comment with regards of these

the chase is on guys and i hope that it comes to fruition this time,...we have been burnt once already but i must stress that this can implode on us as we get nearer the time but it's great to see some sort of a signal in the NWP'S all the same. 

It does look like something is brewing. We've been here before and we all know it can go either way. The one thing I do know though is that the gfs leads the way at this timeframe in the Greenland vicinity. 

gensnh-31-1-228.png

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Ukmo HD has a non event for the south @friday snow.. with the Chanel taking the precipitation!.. but others ( models)say differently.. tomorrow will be the wiper screen day on this.

If the system goes south will that pull snow showers further south also ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

It does look like something is brewing. We've been here before and we all know it can go either way. The one thing I do know though is that the gfs leads the way at this timeframe in the Greenland vicinity. 

gensnh-31-1-228.png

Yes good mean that but i will post the day ten mean vs the 12z mean at 252 and you can clearly see more of a ridge into S Greenland than the 12z.

gensnh-31-1-240.thumb.png.974ccfc7d595830b427d9b9aca7e714f.pnggensnh-31-1-252.thumb.png.1a8db1e749a3b2e339ef97e85f0b341e.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, nobble said:

I may be wrong but the problem for the midlands here is the wind direction is too westerly so most of the showers get sucked up by the Welsh mountains hope I’m wrong though. It won’t matter though if the last couple of gfs runs prove to be on the money

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

There is cold upon us right now... widespread cold! Depends what you call cold, must it be -15 degrees..

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, nobble said:

No- the vents are not in favour of that!.. anyway it’s still an unfolding one.. my bet is precipitation from Hertfordshiresouth Buckinghamshire  south.. and then it’s all about the overheads for precipitation form .. ie snow/rain 

Posted

You can see the retrogression of the tpv splitting, one moving east towards NE Scandi and residual one N Canada and the heights retrogressing west/northwest into the Atlantic/southern Greenland in this mean 500mb and Geopotential height anomaly animation.

192-252.

animfaf6.thumb.gif.3fc8ad094ce6c5f4b015577eac81a2ad.gifanimawz9.thumb.gif.7605227ec37ec399a5847e986c8d0d8b.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
Added info
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

No- the vents are not in favour of that!.. anyway it’s still an unfolding one.. my bet is precipitation from Hertfordshiresouth Buckinghamshire  south.. and then it’s all about the overheads for precipitation form .. ie snow/rain 

I'd have to back rain/sleet for the far south - away from the highest elevations. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Stu_London said:

I'd have to back rain/sleet for the far south - away from the highest elevations. 

Possibly- although surprise snow at lower ASL,S is always possible in these throws.. we’ll know tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

The 18z control gunning for another northerly at 276 backed up by a better mean than the 12.

gensnh-0-1-276.thumb.png.dcaa5c4f0461c690014894ad45cd68d2.pnggensnh-31-1-276.thumb.png.6fea7af1d3d7ffe777ed61377882d926.png

the gefs ens take a tanking towards the -5 line by the 17th,...that is quicker than the 12z that don't get the -5 line in until the 20th

18z vs 12z 

Untitled.thumb.png.7c7eb3e2a626a171e610128ac9d5b6b8.pngens_image.thumb.png.51d673b8636c774313c16dc3648bcbc9.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 04/01/2022 at 10:56, georgiedre said:

Looks like a lot of high pressure out in the Atlantic and lower heights to our ne might be a theme.  Hopefully this will carry on and provide a few northerly outbreaks by the 15th ish

Looks like my comment is gaining support.  Hope I'm right this time.  Knowing our luck it will show mild south westerlies tomorrow abc