Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - The start of 2022

Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model-based discussion.  Some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less chat and a more straight-up model discussion take a look at the alternate model discussion

Posted

Well the mean and control Seem to follow the op I’d say

15188DCD-125E-426C-803B-2D8B9B38D8CE.png

9E9FE814-8D97-4997-BE9F-2F8CAF7C1D0A.png

• Like 6

Posted
23 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

I would suggest watching this after all the 'boom' posts in the last 30 minutes and look how the Met Office use 'decider' to predict weather patterns at a longer range

The met will go with the GFS op , it’s pretty much nailed on now at day 12 - I heard

On a serious note though, the METO 10 has nothing to do with this latest run - wrong time frame 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Nice GFS this evening (if you're a coldie).  I wonder whether ECM will show any hints of the same outcome?!

And to the fatalists that are adamant the charts won't come off....you are highly likely to be proven right.

However this is the model output discussion thread and so discussion of model output discussion is surely allowed regardless of one's preference and / or enthusiasm!

Oh and there might be some snow kicking about in the forecast for many in the next couple of days

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
35 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

It could be the best northerly I’ve ever seen modelled albeit in deep Fi 

CC87A23F-64F3-462A-83CE-D39768456DE6.png

3945F6CB-FC4B-4E38-BDC0-5591FB635432.png
Its about a 5000 mile northerly

DF7C8CCE-3B50-44E0-9C2E-608DCED679CD.png

With low pressure heading to Europe was always going to improve chances as helps to squeeze the azores high into a more prominent position to tackle the PV. Building blocks

Unfortunately for now we have to endure the meh weather

20220104_100449.jpg

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!
4 hours ago, jules216 said:

I was very optimistic about our chances of cold February in autumn, but I have a feeling the - QBO ať levels down to 50hPa is flushing +QBO down to surface and subsequently extending Haddley Cell - mid lat westerlies between 15-35°N, widening Haddley Cell is the single most to blame phenomenom for crap winters in recent past,thats my opinion, we would be better of with ascending then descending -QBO.

I agree! Its been proven that very strong -QBO through Winter months causes mild weather for UK winters, which is what we are experiencing thus far. 

Posted

Some day 11 Perbs. The “spaghetti “ chart will be interesting later

496DCF4D-9AB5-40B6-9320-F7D12DC642E3.png

BBB4D40D-02B2-4A97-AECD-4BD10419A971.png

E6F32908-45AB-47F8-9BF4-0AFB29D85994.png

6517F264-303C-4842-A2AD-7DC8DCE7B272.png

80435892-1336-451E-84E2-31C81C27F41C.png

6C0F3FB0-94D5-42CF-BCDA-DE11C8A2A8DE.png

85FA9CCE-E2A1-438F-9F15-0754F446C05D.png

F2CDBEF7-EC98-4B05-909D-0A000910DA0E.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Nice GFS this evening (if you're a coldie).  I wonder whether ECM will show any hints of the same outcome?!

And to the fatalists that are adamant the charts won't come off....you are highly likely to be proven right.

However this is the model output discussion thread and so discussion of model output discussion is surely allowed regardless of one's preference and / or enthusiasm!

Oh and there might be some snow kicking about in the forecast for many in the next couple of days

Agreed

”The hunt for cold”

not

“The hunt for cold but only if it is within 72hrs can you comment otherwise someone will point out its Fantasy Land”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

wow guys what an amazing gfs 12z!

There are plenty of cold options that bring the cold in quicker than the Op too 

99377E3F-E7F2-4A78-874D-F84355BED08C.png

7E9296FC-5ACC-44E9-81EF-E2E3ED888858.png

6B231AE5-B65C-4DC3-9F88-32C1E0C8420D.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

wow guys what an amazing gfs 12z!

It sure was, now we have to get it down to t minus 0hrs and we will be be laughing! Can’t see it myself but I will be watching. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

Some great posts earlier - don't need to name names but thanks to those who've taken time to deliver some really detailed thoughts today. Surprised, as a result, to see one of the most striking Northerlies (ever?) modelled in recent times but not going to waste more than a passing, wishful second trying to justify its plausible existence other than to say the Op not without support and will be interesting to see the ensembles later. This, for example, from Control.

spacer.png

EDIT: Getting better and better. Enough now.

spacer.png

Edited by supernova
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

It will be refreshing to see an ensembles chart where the operational run is not almost permanently locked in at the very upper end of the plausible temperature range like the 06z and the umpteen runs that preceeded it:

image.thumb.png.f9ff723049f249d3307b67dc0bc908b0.png

Although I suspect the 12z will go to the other extreme and be a cold outlier.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

The GFS 12z has been brewing for a little while. The first of many. Seems many have become dispondent by the Christmas coldspell letdown, and now as a consequence many laugh as soon as another cold scenario starts to show itself. That's human nature, but mother nature always has the last laugh.  Severe cold spells often arrive at quite short notice, and the next such cold spell is probably going to arrive much sooner than some think.  Roll on 1947 !!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Longer-term shenanigans aside (albeit nice to see my ‘what if the tropospheric imprint splits? for a time?’ musing explored), a slightly interesting shorter-term development caught my eye: The Sunday low slides a bit more cleanly on the 12z GFS compared to prior runs, which leads to more of a high to our east-northeast, which sets up a chillier feed from the near continent into southern UK next week.

Goes to show, fine details can sometimes turn an outlook colder... let’s see if it holds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted

The ECM also has a snow event Friday just south of the M4

1F3EBBEC-FC21-48D0-B2B9-8B3930272179.png

• Like 4

Just now, JBMWeatherForever said:

The GFS 12z has been brewing for a little while. The first of many. Seems many have become dispondent by the Christmas coldspell letdown, and now as a consequence many laugh as soon as another cold scenario starts to show itself. That's human nature, but mother nature always has the last laugh.  Severe cold spells often arrive at quite short notice, and the next such cold spell is probably going to arrive much sooner than some think.  Roll on 1947 !!!

I believe you are right.  I said something similar the other day. I'm old enough to remember cold snowy winters of long ago that came with little warning. Too many people put too much emphasis on model predictions 10 days out or more,  which in my opinion is totally pointless. 10 day weather models are at very best only 50 percent reliable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

They are both are at it now, op & control pretty similar, twins even

image.thumb.png.8528a926948b37a115b6cd111420f161.pngimage.thumb.png.929cf9819d2e9e0dc52eb842dc344743.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1