Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

According to the BBC app thingy, a mean windspeed of 67mph at 1pm, Friday, is the strongest I can expect. Time to put bricks in your wheelie bins, folks!

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, LRD said:

Agreed.

It's a strange one. No one wants anyone to be put in danger or anything like that but, if you can't have snow and cold, then active weather is better than what we endured in November, December and January, surely? If we're supposed to be weather enthusiasts. People moan about winters like 2013-14 but they are more interesting than this winter and winters like 88-89 and 91-92. Aren't they?

Surely ALL weather is interesting to the enthusiast? No point in wishcasting. I found this winter, until recent events, rather interesting, because November till early Feb was an exceptionally dry period in this area, and much of the country. Also with some record warmth and good sun in Januar, following exceptional cloud in December. In my area we had approximately 24 days in a row with almost no rain. Between November and January my area had just 48% of average rainfall. This remarkable winter is very interesting indeed. At one point the soils were beginning to dry out which is very rare in January. Some folks here are missing the interesting bits. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Been tracking Met Office app forecast daily, it's gone from 50s to 60s and now 70 mph gusts for central London Friday afternoon. 

I don't wish death & destruction on anyone/thing but extreme weather is very exciting IMO! (and this is a weather forum after all).

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
54 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It’s quite bizarre .

Some people seem a bit disappointed that their location might not see the strongest winds .

Given these winds could bring down power lines , rip off roofs and cause major destruction am I missing something .

Perhaps it’s my storm phobia talking but really I hope Eunice just gets lost!

Quite agree @nick sussex…. Having lived through the aftermath of 87 in Mid-Sussex with two weeks with no electricity, the following storms in 89, 90 and more recently in 2014 living where I am now….I would not wish those storms on anyone….

I’m actually on the IOW this week and due to return on Friday at 12:30…zero chance of that happening given ferries have been cancelled most of today…. Think we’ll wait it out until Saturday and leave then!

Wish Eunice would drop south and just bring snow!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, MP-R said:

A bizarrely high number of people... ?‍♂️

Personally I fear stormy winds more than anything much more unpredictable than heavy rain and associated floods.. a sudden gust of wind cannot be predicted..  lightening probably our most unpredictable of all weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Been tracking Met Office app forecast daily, it's gone from 50s to 60s and now 70 mph gusts for central London Friday afternoon. 

I don't wish death & destruction on anyone/thing but extreme weather is very exciting IMO! (and this is a weather forum after all).

Totally agree - plus one can wish it to happen or not , it makes no difference to the outcome ! The weather will do what it will do !

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm torn. I love weather extremes, but I also realise how much trouble this could cause unless we have a 12 hour lockdown. And I'm a bit worried for my shed. I woke in the middle of the night in 1987 and seriously thought the world was ending, bit scared when it gets that strong!

I think it comes down to being amazed at the power of weather and nature in general, but ALSO realising how damaging that power can truly be. Basically people should be rational about their amazement and not allow it to override the logic that it can be VERY dangerous. 

Edited by Porto
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
1 minute ago, richie3846 said:

Surely ALL weather is interesting to the enthusiast? No point in wishcasting. I found this winter, until recent events, rather interesting, because November till early Feb was an exceptionally dry period in this area, and much of the country. Also with some record warmth and good sun in Januar, following exceptional cloud in December. In my area we had approximately 24 days in a row with almost no rain. Between November and January my area had just 48% of average rainfall. This remarkable winter is very interesting indeed. At one point the soils were beginning to dry out which is very rare in January. Some folks here are missing the interesting bits. 

Whats interesting to one person may be boring to another, opinions vary

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I've said it before on here mate - this winter, for sheer tedium has been extreme and that should be noted. Doesn't mean to say I'm not bored ****less by it though. Each to their own but I'm not sure how anyone can get enthusiastic about virtually no weather for weeks and months on end (Aug - Jan has to be the most boring period of weather I've ever experienced). And now something far more dramatic is here (and has been here for a few days already now). Let's see how the rest of this week pans out

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Given this "Storm in a tea cup" event, (relatively speaking) ..   I shudder to think of what it must be like to experience staring down the gun barrel of a Cat3-5 Hurricane , or perhaps worse still,  a major Tornado ripping up your town,  we really do get off quite lightly in our neck of the woods.

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

According to the BBC app thingy, a mean windspeed of 67mph at 1pm, Friday, is the strongest I can expect. Time to put bricks in your wheelie bins, folks!

Fill them up half way at least with water if you don't have any bricks.

Personally, I'm really not looking forward to this storm because of the damage it will cause.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The BBC app isn't the clearest. When the symbol is black that means gusts, when it's white it's mean speed. Only shows gusts when they're over 40mph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
11 minutes ago, StingJet said:

A quick check on the inshore waters forecast (following 24hrs) -  Pretty much all inshore water areas expecting F8-F10 that are affected by Eunice .. the one and only exception being Lands End to St. David's Head, including the Bristol Channel ; F9-F11 , This peaking on Eunice's approach to Wales / north west england on Eunice's southern flank , the Sw'er 

They’ll make interesting reading tomorrow I think, particularly the sea state forecasts. 

• Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

About 25mph. Too fast and they get too hot and catch fire. 

Sorry folks, quoted that wrong that is rated speed, usually between 25mph and 35mph. Cut out is normally around 55mph, with a cut back in at around 45mph. 

The usual problem if they are allowed to spin too high is friction and overload, causing fire and eventual complete failure of the blades and generator. 

Edited by SnowBear
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm torn. I love weather extremes, but I also realise how much trouble this could cause unless we have a 12 hour lockdown. And I'm a bit worried for my shed. I woke in the middle of the night in 1987 and seriously thought the world was ending, bit scared when it gets that strong!

I'm sure your shed will be fine  Is it a new shed?

Btw, I was 9 in 1987 and that's exactly how I felt that night. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, LRD said:

I've said it before on here mate - this winter, for sheer tedium has been extreme and that should be noted. Doesn't mean to say I'm not bored ****less by it though. Each to their own but I'm not sure how anyone can get enthusiastic about virtually no weather for weeks and months on end (Aug - Jan has to be the most boring period of weather I've ever experienced). And now something far more dramatic is here (and has been here for a few days already now). Let's see how the rest of this week pans out

Maybe I'm biased because I have to work outdoors quite a bit. Best winter in years from a personal perspective, no fun in getting soaked every day, no fun in subzero temperatures, and definitely no fun if it snows.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
5 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Sorry folks, quoted that wrong that is rated speed, usually between 25mph and 35mph. Cut out is normally around 55mph, with a cut back in at around 45mph. 

The usual problem if they are allowed to spin too high is friction and overload, causing fire and eventual compete failure of the blades and generator. 

Google is ure friend (saviour)  SB

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder and lightning!!!

It’s recycling bin day on Friday here in Derbyshire, they never turn up first thing either!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

Maybe I'm biased because I have to work outdoors quite a bit. Best winter in years from a personal perspective, no fun in getting soaked every day, no fun in subzero temperatures, and definitely no fun if it snows.

Fair enough pal. If regular cloud and/or drizzle, just above or above average temps and no extremes is your thing and you work outside, you are extremely fortunate to be living in just the right country for all that. Enjoy

But you said ALL weather should be of interest to the enthusiast. Seems to me you've contradicted yourself there

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Google is ure friend SB

Yes, so are the wind power gen websites lol

I knew 25mph came into it but double checked as I didn't think it sounded right for cut out as have been near wind farms with wind speeds higher than 25mph and they still been going. (North Devon, Bodmin and off Essex Coast)

• Like 2

Posted

Keep thinking the storm is arriving tomorrow but we have another whole day to get through!... feeling quite tired keeping up with this thread already.. tomorrow going to be a long day in I feel!!..conserve the energy for Friday! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
8 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I hear you. I work outside (I’m on call on Friday) and this winter, dull as it’s been has at least been dry. I don’t mind working in snow but going out in driving sleet and rain in 4 or 5 degree temps gets old very quickly these days.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Keep thinking the storm is arriving tomorrow but we have another whole day to get through!... feeling quite tired keeping up with this thread already.. tomorrow going to be a long day in I feel!!..conserve the energy for Friday! 

Ahhh you will do fine, can sleep on Saturday night

• Like 2