Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
1 minute ago, Pat Butcher said:

I was wondering about this. I would expect that a Hebridean shepherd's cottage can withstand a lot more than a newbuild in the Fens, but is there anything codified in the building codes as to what level of resilience is standard?

There are differences in the building standards across the UK. There are standard exposure maps that are used to try to make sure the houses are suitable for the conditions they are likely to experience. 

Practical examples include 

1) It is standard practice in Scotland to fully board out the roof with sarking boards before attaching slates or tiles. I believe in England they just use battens. The sarking stiffens up the whole roof structure. 

2) When I recently ordered some roof trusses, they asked for my postcode so they could engineer the strength of them to suit the likely maximum snow load. In my instance, the trusses were pretty substantial as I'm halfway up a North facing hillside in Aberdeenshire! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat
15 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

My house has experienced 90mph with no damage, i even have those old metal sheet roofs and it still didn't blow off  70 - 80 might take a few tiles off and blow some fences over but if it's doing extensive damage then the house wasn't built very well...

Then you are lucky.

What shall we do? Rebuild our houses because they ‘haven’t been built very well’? Maybe a wall collapsing onto a child, roofs being ripped off completely and deposited into the street. Maybe people being without power for 10 days?

It’s all happened locally to me since the end of November. Some of the damage still hasn’t been repaired. This was from wind gusting between 60-70mph. 

Just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened elsewhere!

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Durham Weather said:

Then you are lucky.

What shall we do? Rebuild our houses because they ‘haven’t been built very well’? Maybe a wall collapsing onto a child, roofs being ripped off completely and deposited into the street. Maybe people being without power for 10 days?

It’s all happened locally to me since the end of November. Some of the damage still hasn’t been repaired. This was from wind gusting between 60-70mph. 

Just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened elsewhere!

Yup wall blew down near me in about 45mph winds 2 years ago. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
4 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Complete rubbish. House construction rules and standards are the same across the UK

Older houses suffer damage just as much as new

Maybe from trees falling, but otherwise I can assure you that houses built in exposed areas historically are better put together.

Building Construction and Standards is a new thing like Elf And Safe Tea to try to stop the cowboys killing folks rather than improve overall resistance to climate change induced storm worsening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
22 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I suspect it wasn't 90mph did you measure it or was that a reported speed from elsewhere.

It was during the sting jet associated with the Jan 3rd 2012 storm. I didn't measure it but local stations were into the 90s, a couple into the 100s. It's one of only 2 red wind warnings I can remember in this area. A fair bit of roof damage but actual structural damage was minimal. 

I'm pretty sure mainland houses are all built to a similar standard. I'm in the greater Glasgow area so not away up in the highlands... 

Edited by Ross90

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

There are differences in the building standards across the UK. There are standard exposure maps that are used to try to make sure the houses are suitable for the conditions they are likely to experience. 

1) It is standard practice in Scotland to fully board out the roof with sarking boards before attaching slates or tiles. I believe in England they just use battens. The sarking stiffens up the whole roof structure. 

2) When I recently ordered some roof trusses, they asked for my postcode so they could engineer the strength of them to suit the likely maximum snow load. In my instance, the trusses were pretty substantial as I'm halfway up a North facing hillside in Aberdeenshire! 

Thankyou

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

That's really interesting, thank you for the insight!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

It was during the sting jet associated with the Jan 3rd 2012 storm. I didn't measure it but local stations were into the 90s, a couple into the 100s. It's one of only 2 red wind warnings I can remember in this area. A fair bit of roof damage but actual structural damage was minimal. 

I'm pretty sure mainland houses are all built to the same standard. I'm in the greater Glasgow area so not away up in the highlands... 

A roof is part of a structure, is it not? 

• Like 2

Posted

The major models all showing around 70-85mph in my local area for gusts is quite impressive, still early days with potential track and strength changes but even with a climbdown will be quite an event. Lost the fence in the 2013 storm here but luckily ours is built a little bit better this time!

Posted

Eunice coincides with the Spring Tides on the 18th. Luckily this tidal cycle isn't that high compared to others during the year. Here in S Devon, our morning high tide will coincide with the peak of the winds but the booked tide is only 4.49m which compares with 5.0m on some of the larger cycles. I would expect that we would get around 0.4/0.5m on top of the normal forecast tide. Luckily that takes us below the point where our flood defences are needed to be operated. However, the wind direction and the shape of the Bristol Channel could still cause some problems up there https://www.gov.uk/government/news/environment-agency-warns-communities-along-severn-and-wye-estuaries-to-prepare-for-flooding-from-storm-eunice For us here the storm surge is nearly always the biggest issue and this counts as a near miss: if  a storm like this hits when we are on 5.0m tide there are usually some flooding impacts.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Durham Weather said:

A roof is part of a structure, is it not? 

Roof damage as in lost tiles or sheets as some houses on this street still have metal roofs. I didn't see any houses that had been left exposed because of roof damage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
5 minutes ago, Paul said:

The UKV 15z is in, and it's looking pretty ferocious..

ukvgust0.png ukv-gust1.png ukvgust2.png

Wow, that'd place me right in the core of the strongest winds between 9-10am, should be the wildest weather I've seen since moving here last summer. We're in a pretty exposed location as it is. I don't think I'll be getting much work done (from home) that day while watching this, that's if we don't lose the internet anyway going by that chart!

• Like 1

Posted

I've just posted this on the NW thread but thought it needed a place in here too.

This could actually work out worse for places like Fleetwood/Cleveleys,  Southport Wirral, Mersey/ Dee Estuary as the North Channel(between Ireland and Scotland) could be in the firing line of the wind for a while.....building up the already high Spring tide.....

High tide at Liverpool is 12.16pm.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Roof damage as in lost tiles or sheets as some houses on this street still have metal roofs. I didn't see any houses that had been left exposed because of roof damage.

We don’t have metal roofs mate, just on cowsheds.

There were several houses had their roofs completely blown off in the last storm a few weeks back. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Low slightly further south and more elongated on ecm 12z. Not as deep either...

ecm500_075.thumb.png.c8a256333e63964c48188faaabff901e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, GSP said:

At least with schools being off for Half Term might be a blessing. We may need the schools anyway to huncker down!

They aren't off in parts of the south-west, including the whole of Devon, until next week. That's a major concern.

This is pretty serious stuff if it verifies:

2061403753_Screenshot2022-02-15at19_13_52.thumb.png.830855ecfe9230acd364783c6310a371.png

1063864805_Screenshot2022-02-15at19_14_06.thumb.png.851030d00e13f33ca1a6a3ed426f9764.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

They aren't off in parts of the south-west, including the whole of Devon, until next week. That's a major concern.

This is pretty serious stuff if it verifies:

2061403753_Screenshot2022-02-15at19_13_52.thumb.png.830855ecfe9230acd364783c6310a371.png

1063864805_Screenshot2022-02-15at19_14_06.thumb.png.851030d00e13f33ca1a6a3ed426f9764.png

Same in Dorset, schools are still in this week. This is why this is a nightmare for the Meto as they would likely need to go Red Thursday lunchtime in order to provide sufficient timing for contingency planning if they thought anything like this was actually possibly. But still leaves plenty of room for egg on their face. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Seems to be increasing suggestion of a sting in the tail of this low on its NW flank. Severe gales showing now on exit of the low pushing through the wirral and down into Cheshire and the Midlands. 70mph gusts from a NWly would pack a punch here.

This has happened before in the early 2000s, 2003 I think in the October. As the low cleared there were NWlys in its wake that ripped a neighbour’s metal shed roof off. It remained relatively calm in places like Manchester.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
11 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Low slightly further south and more elongated on ecm 12z. Not as deep either...

ecm500_075.thumb.png.c8a256333e63964c48188faaabff901e.png

The start of the downgrades possibly... Dudley started downgrading at around this timeframe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wow. Edge of your seat stuff in here. Hope everyone stays safe, that’s the main thing. Also hoping there is minimal damage to properties. It’s a double ended sword at times being a weather nut. As expected, some massive differences already showing by such a small alteration in the centre of the lows track.
I expect this differentiation to continue into tomorrow mornings runs. 

• Like 1