Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

We just catch the departing edge however a slight shift north would bring us fully into firing line while a shift south and would just be a case of seeing how much rain we get. Still nasty for the midlands southward 80mph gusts still possible in exposed places. More likely 55 to 65mph elsewhere.

1 minute ago, The PIT said:

We just catch the departing edge however a slight shift north would bring us fully into firing line while a shift south and would just be a case of seeing how much rain we get. Still nasty for the midlands southward 80mph gusts still possible in exposed places. More likely 55 to 65mph elsewhere.

Selfishly, I wouldn't mind a correction south so we have more of a snow risk here. An added benefit is the most severe wind gusts would be well further south too (sorry, France)   

Current track or further north would be disastrous.

Posted
17 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Losing chimneys, tiles, wheelie bins are possible on a residential level. Maybe the chihuahua puppy going out for a wee

Before they reduced the bin collections to save costs we used to leave the  bins in and wait for next week. Now we have to trundle them out and hope they don't get blown away to far while rubbish blows all over the place. Still waiting for the court case where a wheelie bin gets launched into a car causing a major accident. Who's responsible for taking the bins back inside. Council will blame the resident however they can't retrieve them if they at work.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
30 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Sorry am I really reading this. Straight up. At which point do you classify this as a non event. 75mph winds across Lincolnshire gusts but its OK its a non event. 

Spot on beggars belief. It’s times like these I wish we had additional emoji’s  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
31 minutes ago, Cymro said:

I fail to understand what it is you’re seeking? 

King Canute became famous doing it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat
24 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

I think some people are exaggerating the severity a little bit. Yes 90mph + would be quite damaging but it's much more likely that gusts will peak around 70 - 80mph inland if that. It might be unusual for some places but you're not going to suffer severe damage from winds in that range, well not unless a tree hits your property... 

Gusts of 70-80 mph will do extensive damage to many houses. Many properties still have damage from the last storm. It’ll cost millions. Daytime will make it more hazardous.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Selfishly, I wouldn't mind a correction south so we have more of a snow risk here. An added benefit is the most severe wind gusts would be well further south too (sorry, France)   

Current track or further north would be disastrous.

Been getting less windy here over the years. Long time since I've been kept awake by the wind. One time it was so strong it was making the house shake and actually saw the neighbours roof do a Mexican wave without losing a tile. 

WWW.SHEFFIELDWEATHER.CO.UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
27 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

I think some people are exaggerating the severity a little bit. Yes 90mph + would be quite damaging but it's much more likely that gusts will peak around 70 - 80mph inland if that. It might be unusual for some places but you're not going to suffer severe damage from winds in that range, well not unless a tree hits your property... 

Many inland areas in the S and SE England do not experience winds like these very often. I suppose the max, winds around London in winter wouldn't exceed 50-55 mph.

With some forecasts suggesting 70-80 mph inland, coupled with it being in the middle of a working day, then the event justifies a red wind warning IMO. There will be lot's of damage, disruption and some injuries and deaths. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Many inland areas in the S and SE England do not experience winds like these very often. I suppose the max, winds around London in winter wouldn't exceed 50-55 mph.

With some forecasts suggesting 70-80 mph inland, coupled with it being in the middle of a working day, then the event justifies a red wind warning IMO. There will be lot's of damage, disruption and some injuries and deaths. 

I agree. It needs to be taken very seriously. My advisory would be to stay indoors until the wind eases. 

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Houses would certainly get damage from 70 to 80 mph. We had a half hour south westerly with those speeds and they were ridge tiles and tiles and slates all over the pavement.

Someone asked what would be to be a none event for here anything less than 50 mph. 50 to 60 windy 60 plus a worth event which will probably be remembered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

If anyone wants to know what a 70 mph wind is like...

Put your head outside a car window at that speed... and maybe try it when its raining 

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 5

Posted

Well the predicted gusts inland will do lots of property damage. A couple of years ago we had gales here, sustained winds 25 to 35 mph.

Gusts up to 50 to 55mph, then we had a stronger gust blow threw, lasted 5 to 10seconds, large crash and bangs, ripped of two large ridge tiles.

When i spoke to insurance Company there checked there weather reports ??? maybe met office, dont know, but he came back on the phone and said my post code area had a reported 

gust of 58mph.

So if 58 can ripped of ridge tiles god only knows what a 70 to 85mph could do.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
8 minutes ago, Durham Weather said:

Gusts of 70-80 mph will do extensive damage to many houses. Many properties still have damage from the last storm. It’ll cost millions. Daytime will make it more hazardous.

My house has experienced 90mph with no damage, i even have those old metal sheet roofs and it still didn't blow off  70 - 80 might take a few tiles off and blow some fences over but if it's doing extensive damage then the house wasn't built very well...

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

At least with schools being off for Half Term might be a blessing. We may need the schools anyway to huncker down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well I for one am looking forward to a good old storm, I like the extremes personally although I wouldn’t mind it going further south so may bring snow into the mix, couple of days and we should no what’s going to happen. Bring it on

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

My house has experienced 90mph with no damage, i even have those old metal sheet roofs and it still didn't blow off  70 - 80 might take a few tiles off and blow some fences over but if it's doing extensive damage then the house wasn't built very well...

I suspect it wasn't 90mph did you measure it or was that a reported speed from elsewhere.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Older houses, and houses Oop Norf are built to stand the conditions, darn Sarf, especially all these new thrown up housing estates, its not built as well as it doesnt need to be on a normal basis. Indoubt climate change figures highly in the planning of housing estate profit margin management.

Posted
5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Older houses, and houses Oop Norf are built to stand the conditions, darn Sarf, especially all these new thrown up housing estates, its not built as well as it doesnt need to be on a normal basis. Indoubt climate change figures highly in the planning of housing estate profit margin management.

I was wondering about this. I would expect that a Hebridean shepherd's cottage can withstand a lot more than a newbuild in the Fens, but is there anything codified in the building codes as to what level of resilience is standard?

Edited by Pat Butcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
11 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

We also need to be aware that there is a high chance if this comes off someone going about there day on Friday won’t be with us by the end of the storm. It doesn’t have to be a house falling down it can be debris or more likely a tree coming down as happened near to where I live recently where a mum and her teenage daughter died when a tree landed on their car  

Posted
3 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

but is there anything codified in the building codes as to what level of resilience is standard?

Even if there was profit and cheap labour would overall any such regs until the constructor is caught out at which time they'll go bankrupt and start up another firm.

Posted
8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Complete rubbish. House construction rules and standards are the same across the UK

Older houses suffer damage just as much as new

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What we all seem to be forgetting is Storm Dudley, which will be less than 48 hours before Storm Eunice. Tree roots, fences  and some structural buildings will already be weakened by this storm. Then to have another storm come through with anything from 60-80mph winds will be carnage!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

I was wondering about this. I would expect that a Hebridean shepherd's cottage can withstand a lot more than a newbuild in the Fens, but is there anything codified in the building codes as to what level of resilience is standard?

I would think historically, local building companies in risk areas would know how to build in that area. Blackpool rarely sees property damage other than commercial properties or fences/sheds.

New mass market builders havnt got a clue, nor give a toss, what is good for Stevenage will be good for Inverness.