Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
1 hour ago, PennineMark said:

Anybody hoping for Thursday lunchtime snow best avoid the Met Office app map forecast. In contrast to their own timeline showing snow shower potential, the automated map has any activity way out west over NW Wales heading south. No idea which is using the latest information 🤔

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation, Person, Monitor, Wheel

Noticed the the differing outlooks from the METO too, for 1pm Thursday.  It's all down to nowcasting, lamp post watching, window gazing.  

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Monitor, Outdoors, Head, Face, Laptop, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors, Nature, Land

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Rush2112 said:

Noticed the the differing outlooks from the METO too, for 1pm Thursday.  It's all down to nowcasting, lamp post watching, window gazing.  

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Monitor, Outdoors, Head, Face, Laptop, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors, Nature, Land

As ever, yes a nowcast situation forecasting when and where snow may fall in these set ups. Fropntal events are different - higher chance of forecasting more accurately. I'm hoping we do see at least a dusting of snow, a cm would be good, would be very disappointing to have embedded cold for days on end but no snow to go with it. Could do with more instability, the low pressure looks very slack. 

One notable aspect of current conditions is how dry it has been, not had much precipitation for 9 days now, which is quite unusual for December. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
7 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Could contain: Art, Computer, Electronics, Pc, Book, Publication, Comics, Drawing

And no doubt it would be a soggy straw too 😢

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

And no doubt it would be a soggy straw too 😢

Tomorrow is another day so they say. Once the cold beds in we will see slow to clear frost which looks like snow any way!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

.A nice slack w/nw for the weekend.Arpege backing this up too.Thinking streamers could drop a few inches.Looking likely to set up most of Saturday

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Land, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 6

Posted

Can't wait for the Irish sea popcorn showers!! 

In all seriousness I had always like to of experience an set up where you got a light flow from the sea at cloud height but with decent cold air and if possible little or off shore winds would be interesting too see what would happen. Maybe this weekend is the closest I would get too see that albeit the air at Upper heights do look a tad too warm for me. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

Ah, the legendary popcorn showers, usually start of as beefy boomers through Ireland, before entering a magic wall in the Irish sea shrinking them right down pathetic popcorn. Can't wait!! 🤣🤡

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Ah, the legendary popcorn showers, usually start of as beefy boomers through Ireland, before entering a magic wall in the Irish sea shrinking them right down pathetic popcorn. Can't wait!! 🤣🤡

In fairness these might be better organised as there be over open water for alot longer and little wind to move them around, do need some sort of westerly flow but not too strong. I think the ECM would give the PPN but not much snow as the flow could be too strong and/or the air is not cold enough. GFS looks better but the window of opportunity looks small before the easterly flow kicks in. 

If anything does happen I think a line from Fleetwood down to Liverpool bay looks most favoured but it's all down to radar watching. 

• Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

In all seriousness I had always like to of experience an set up where you got a light flow from the sea at cloud height but with decent cold air and if possible little or off shore winds would be interesting too see what would happen. Maybe this weekend is the closest I would get too see that albeit the air at Upper heights do look a tad too warm for me. 

Happened 21 Dec 2009 - heavy thundersnow showers, gave intense snowfalls here.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

As ever, yes a nowcast situation forecasting when and where snow may fall in these set ups. Fropntal events are different - higher chance of forecasting more accurately. I'm hoping we do see at least a dusting of snow, a cm would be good, would be very disappointing to have embedded cold for days on end but no snow to go with it. Could do with more instability, the low pressure looks very slack. 

One notable aspect of current conditions is how dry it has been, not had much precipitation for 9 days now, which is quite unusual for December. 

Yes very dry as ever with the Easterly  flow. Probably why it’s got a 2010 setup feel about it. 

Adding to the disappointment. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Arome Hi-Res going for -6 or -7 in some rural parts of Cheshire tonight.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted

Hard overnight frost on wakeup...-2c... the cold spell starts here folks.   maybe outside chances of sprinkly white stuff falling from the skies on from Thur/Fri & Sat... not copius amounts but maybe something looking wintry.

Some models teasing a nasty looking low midweek next... at the moment we're on its northern edge with bitter easterly winds.  We are keeping hold of the colder air for now. 

Edited by dodge
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

A cold, frosty start to the day, -1C.

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Arpege puts down a few CM of snow to some parts of the region on Thursday night

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Land, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Ukv chart had a similar outlook for Thursday night, however it's now changed to no snow Thursday night.  All confusing, all about nowcasting for me from now.

Could contain: Land, Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water, Monitor, Screen, Hardware

Could contain: File, Land, Outdoors, Nature, Webpage, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Quite a surprise for Thursday. 

Irish Sea effect?

Could contain: Page, Text, Book, Publication, Poster, Advertisement

• Like 4