Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Although we've had some small amounts of rain/showers over the past week or so, it's not been enough to revive the lawn after the predominantly dry weather in recent weeks. Lawn still looking brown in places and with no more rain looking likely in the short to medium term with warm/hot days to come, the grass won't recover any time soon. At least I've not had to mow the lawn for a few weeks so not all bad, but some decent rain is probably needed.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Nice to see that sunny intervals and a bit of high cloud have turned up at my weekend summer weather party but who the hell invited nagging breeze

Yeah, I can imagine your elevation and nagging Northerly breeze probably does take the edge off. It's roughly a 3C drop in temperature for every 1000ft, so I guess if it's feeling 'just right' and pleasant at my level, its likely to be on the cool side where you are. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
4 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Although we've had some small amounts of rain/showers over the past week or so, it's not been enough to revive the lawn after the predominantly dry weather in recent weeks. Lawn still looking brown in places and with no more rain looking likely in the short to medium term with warm/hot days to come, the grass won't recover any time soon. At least I've not had to mow the lawn for a few weeks so not all bad, but some decent rain is probably needed.

Yes, that is what my farmer friend tells me up in the Skipton area of the South Dales. Rainfall in only small amounts so far this summer and lots of cloudy but dry breezy days in the mix. Sunshine amounts should start to come more prominent from today for a while.

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
28 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Yeah, I can imagine your elevation and nagging Northerly breeze probably does take the edge off. It's roughly a 3C drop in temperature for every 1000ft, so I guess if it's feeling 'just right' and pleasant at my level, its likely to be on the cool side where you are. 

TBH it’s dropped off a bit now and with the sun fully out, it feels pretty warm.

certainly an improvement on yesterdays “slow” start which has been the theme throughout the last few weeks.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Like the hot August 2020 spell with its focus on the SE we’ll actually probably be glad that the NW will be in the comparably  more comfortable range of temperatures next week still very warm early-mid 20s- as hot as 28- 30c on the warmest days in the south of the region but not days of early- mid 30c’s London & the SE will be enduring so firmly into heatwave territory  

Next weekend needs careful watching though as the latest GFS 6z shows a more extreme plume of heat that may well push 30c+ heat across as far north as us here in the NW with potentially record breaking heat to our SE  

D71DE03D-0578-4398-9438-930A2C2EBE4B.jpeg

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, Joe Snow said:

Like the hot August 2020 spell with its focus on the SE we’ll actually probably be glad that the NW will be in the comparably  more comfortable range of temperatures next week still very warm early-mid 20s- as hot as 28- 30c on the warmest days in the south of the region but not days of early- mid 30c’s London & the SE will be enduring so firmly into heatwave territory  

Next weekend needs careful watching though as the latest GFS 6z shows a more extreme plume of heat that may well push 30c+ heat across as far north as us here in the NW with potentially record breaking heat to our SE  

D71DE03D-0578-4398-9438-930A2C2EBE4B.jpeg

And amazingly it’s still only showing 20c at Liverpool.

that’s one hell of an air conditioning system they have installed.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, iand61 said:

And amazingly it’s still only showing 20c at Liverpool.

that’s one hell of an air conditioning system they have installed.

Haha 20c? More like 30/31c in Liverpool with that set up. 32/33c in Manchester. 6z at the extreme end of things though. Close to if not 30c likely to be reached in the south of the region this week though. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Haha 20c? More like 30/31c in Liverpool with that set up. 32/33c in Manchester. 6z at the extreme end of things though. Close to if not 30c likely to be reached in the south of the region this week though. 

The symbol was slightly offshore so it maybe water temperature not that I’d fancy going in the Irish Sea even at 20c.

the BBC national forecasts always seem to show the temperature at Liverpool and throughout the summer it’s given a false impression of what it’s like in this region.

maybe they should start using Manchester which would probably be more reflective of the regional average.

It’s a bit like the annoying thing they do of showing the temperatures of the four capitals which leaves anywhere across the central part of the UK without anything to reference against.

let’s face it and as this summer has shown, 30 miles is a lot when it comes to who gets hot sunshine and who gets cool cloud.

Its certainly a long way between London and Glasgow.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

The symbol was slightly offshore so it maybe water temperature not that I’d fancy going in the Irish Sea even at 20c.

the BBC national forecasts always seem to show the temperature at Liverpool and throughout the summer it’s given a false impression of what it’s like in this region.

maybe they should start using Manchester which would probably be more reflective of the regional average.

It’s a bit like the annoying thing they do of showing the temperatures of the four capitals which leaves anywhere across the central part of the UK without anything to reference against.

let’s face it and as this summer has shown, 30 miles is a lot when it comes to who gets hot sunshine and who gets cool cloud.

Its certainly a long way between London and Glasgow.

Yeah Manchester would probably better reflect the regional average on a national forecast both in winter & summer particularly in winter tbh as a 4c January day in Manchester with sleet can be 6c and cold rain in Liverpool due to it's coastal location.

That said I think NW regional weather forecasts are often generally too Manchester/ south of the region centric anyway as summer weather can be v different (as this summer has shown) between the north and south of the region - the south of the region - Cheshire, Merseyside, Wirral, Gtr Manchester, the Peak District have a more W Midlands climate during the summer where as North Lancs, the Lakes & Cumbria have a summer climate closer to N Ireland and the west coast of Scotland outside of countrywide heatwaves. This scenario doesn't play out during the winter months with the midlands often snowier & at times colder than inland areas of low lying NW England how many times have we seen the Midlands blanketed in snow whilst the NW gets naff all other than a few flakes in the wind for example. 

• Like 6

Posted
23 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Yeah Manchester would probably better reflect the regional average on a national forecast both in winter & summer particularly in winter tbh as a 4c January day in Manchester with sleet can be 6c and cold rain in Liverpool due to it's coastal location.

That said I think NW regional weather forecasts are often generally too Manchester/ south of the region centric anyway as summer weather can be v different (as this summer has shown) between the north and south of the region - the south of the region - Cheshire, Merseyside, Wirral, Gtr Manchester, the Peak District have a more W Midlands climate during the summer where as North Lancs, the Lakes & Cumbria have a summer climate closer to N Ireland and the west coast of Scotland outside of countrywide heatwaves. This scenario doesn't play out during the winter months with the midlands often snowier & at times colder than inland areas of low lying NW England how many times have we seen the Midlands blanketed in snow whilst the NW gets naff all other than a few flakes in the wind for example. 

Aye can’t argue with the south to north differences in our region and that’s before we put altitude in to the mix which usually drops the temperature and increases the cloud even more.

as for the midlands, it must have the best low level climate in England

they usually end up sharing in any hot summer weather on offer from the south even if it is slightly diluted and then in winter they always seem to be the sweet spot for any invigorated snow fronts whichever direction they come from.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Despite the media frenzy I don't think we're looking at anything unusually hot in the reliable. We have in the past seen temps close to 30C in May before. Probably 28C on Monday and Tuesday down Cheshire way.

So far Manchester airport has only reached 25C once this summer.

klibild?WMO=03334&ZEITRAUM=04&ZEIT=08072

The most notable thing this summer has been how dry it's been but as @severe snowstormsays at least we've not had to cut the grass too often.

Whilst not in the same league as 2003, 2006 and 2018 I think one summer that gets overlooked is 1999. It did bring some pretty toasty temps and overall wasn't far behind. 

klibild?WMO=03334&ZEITRAUM=12&ZEIT=31081

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted

Well, what a stunner of a day it became.  Sorry to all you red fans but to quote an old footie song "Blue is the Colour" this has been the more dominant sky today and still is.  Max 21.5°C, think car temp at 2pm saying 23° was slightly out. Ideal useable temp with a refreshing breeze.  Now a beautiful evening to be had.  Get out there, grab a beer or vimto and enjoy.

20220709_170617.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Some of the charts for next weekend look horrific for anyone who hates oppressive heat.  Let's hope they do the old winter trick & downgrade by the time we get there.

Today again pretty much perfect in terms of sunshine,  temps & cooling breeze.  Comfortable...but for how long?

• Like 4

Posted

A fine day here too, less and less clouds as the day progressed and a high of 20.1C. Hardly a cloud now. It's felt warm, despite the breeze. A similar day likely tomorrow with temps maybe a notch or two up again and then the heat engulfs us Monday and Tuesday. 

• Like 4

Posted

Glorious weather today with a nice breeze to take the edge off the heat. I managed to see the BBMF Hurricane as it was leaving the Buxton Flypast and heading over the Goyt to play catch-up with the Lancs which was over Cheshire at the time, plus I also saw the Singapore A380 (chartered out by Liverpool FC for their Asian Tour) as it was inbound into Manchester this afternoon. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Glorious weather today with a nice breeze to take the edge off the heat. I managed to see the BBMF Hurricane as it was leaving the Buxton Flypast and heading over the Goyt to play catch-up with the Lancs which was over Cheshire at the time, plus I also saw the Singapore A380 (chartered out by Liverpool FC for their Asian Tour) as it was inbound into Manchester this afternoon. 

Was on hands and knees pulling weeds out when I looked up and saw the A380 come very low over my house before banking left to intercept the glide slope. 9V-SKZ was the aircraft.  Sydney-Singapore-Manchester-Bangkok

get-static-map?data=Y2xpZW50PWdtZS1mbGln
FR24.COM

View flight SQ8157 from Manchester to Bangkok on Flightradar24

Anyway,  weather wise, I'm cooked. Our garden is a suntrap and it was roasting. 

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 4

Posted

I spent much of the day with Mrs FLT and family in fair 'Londinium'. Strange start, with cloud and some spots of rain as we headed off to the station (not forecast) and cloud when we arrived at Euston (again not forecast). The sun came out at lunchtime and it turned v warm! I was meeting family from Canada and we were able to stay in the shade most of the time in Regent's Park, which is a wonderful place to spend a summer's day. My thanks to Avanti West Coast for getting us back to Crewe near enough on time and in an air-conditioned carriage, and of course, it was sunny and warm when we left the station for the short drive home, with the prospect of warmer still in the next couple of days or so.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The only official Met observation station in the NW is at Crosby so that’s why it always looks colder than it is. I know; I used to live there. I think there is a station at Stonyhurst North Lancashire as well don’t know if it’s official though I.E used in graphics.
Unless there is a significant gradient wind from inland there will be a sea breeze by the coast in the afternoon so Crosby will always be a few degrees colder even than here.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I can report my high max for the month today of 21.9c unbroken sunshine all day beautiful

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Probably the most extreme charts I've ever seen on this forum cold or hot. Just astonishing if this came off but it keeps being wheeled out so cannot discount this.

27C uppers into the UK.                           39C for the south of the region?! This would smash local all-time records by around 5 or 6C.

192-582UK.GIF?10-18192-582UK.GIF?10-18

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Probably the most extreme charts I've ever seen on this forum cold or hot. Just astonishing if this came off but it keeps being wheeled out so cannot discount this.

27C uppers into the UK.                           39C for the south of the region?! This would smash local all-time records by around 5 or 6C.

Yep pushing 38- 40c next Sun across Cheshire & Gtr MCR on the 18z Scary really but on the v extreme end of things to say the least . 

One for the history books even if it doesn’t verify completely like this. If it does we will be in unprecedented National Heat Emergency territory - schools closed, outdoor events cancelled, told to stay indoors, emergency measures put in place to help support the NHS/ emergency services

Hopefully we will see something materialise hot but less extreme but this hot spell seems to want to only get hotter & hotter!  

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

That is just ridiculous, 39C here on that chart, but like you say, needs to be taken semi seriously given that it has been churned out a number of times. That would not be pleasant if it verified like that. The last time I experienced a temperature that high was when I was on holiday in the Dordogne in France a few years ago when they were experiencing record breaking temperatures, 2015 I think it was.  I pretty much alternated between the air conditioned caravan and pool all day, no other tasks were possible without wilting in the heat. 

• Like 3

Posted

More pleasant temps forecast on the 00Z run.

image.thumb.png.8403d024b2c6dc406e54a1fd732a15e9.png

Still boiling in the southeast.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Yikes no Thanks

Screenshot_20220710-120943_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4