Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Early Summer and Beyond

Posted
21 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Look at the difference between the ECM ens and the latest gfs ens...

ens_image.thumb.png.4f76343b432172c2f3658fac315b693d.png1460438942_ens_image(1).thumb.png.dd38c5662bb523128cf832834db90f4e.png

i know which one i would bank

GFS spanked by ECM this evening, like in the good old days, doesn't happen as much as it used to!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted

Evening all

I left the forum last evening being told GFS was right and all the other models were wrong and the shortwave developing to the NW would halt the push of cold air SW into the British Isles.

And yet...

UKM, GEM and ECM have stuck to their guns and GFS has now fallen into line.

Some form of LP will develop over or just to the east of the British isles before easing away as pressure builds down from the NW but with the core of heights staying to the west, the colder air remains in place albeit with some moderation past next weekend and into the following week. 

As for temperatures and the possibilities of snow - the former will be much lower than recent experience and as for the latter the further north and the higher up the better your chance if we get some convection. I do think we'll see the return of night frosts and these could be quite sharp in some places.

I also note the GFS 12Z starting to show the wind reversal at 10 HPA in FI - not huge by any means but a clear reversal.

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Yep, plenty of snow about from Thurs to Sunday at least . That weather front on Thurs being the one to watch, if it’s still showing by tomorrow night I think you’d start hearing about it on the weather forecasts 

0934FCDA-A257-433D-87DD-AB7E6D9F06C2.png

89C167EC-41F7-4C0B-83EC-238704A3C76C.png

Then major cold reload beyond that with a proper Greenland high - could be a prolonged cold spell this 

A809B921-8A95-4684-B38A-67573047CDCC.png

FF1D98FA-25D7-488F-A807-AA11321F7ECA.png

Gfs mean improves at 108 hours as well!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
26 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Yep, plenty of snow about from Thurs to Sunday at least . That weather front on Thurs being the one to watch, if it’s still showing by tomorrow night I think you’d start hearing about it on the weather forecasts 

0934FCDA-A257-433D-87DD-AB7E6D9F06C2.png

89C167EC-41F7-4C0B-83EC-238704A3C76C.png

Then major cold reload beyond that with a proper Greenland high - could be a prolonged cold spell this 

A809B921-8A95-4684-B38A-67573047CDCC.png

FF1D98FA-25D7-488F-A807-AA11321F7ECA.png

Ali

Already talking about it on the forecast I have just seen on TV.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I am dreaming of a white Christmas April fools day

gfs op/control

gfs-16-132.thumb.png.65c71d9ffbe584c5746704f3b5467052.pnggens-0-2-132.thumb.png.38710f188ce5058192f69353cf1ad35f.png

like @MATTWOLVES says,it's been a fine week this week and i thoroughly enjoyed it

on a sad note,...my car engine packed up today with miss firing and smoke coming out of the exhaust and had to be towed to a garage,this is why i have not posted recently

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

I am dreaming of a white Christmas April fools day

gfs op/control

gfs-16-132.thumb.png.65c71d9ffbe584c5746704f3b5467052.pnggens-0-2-132.thumb.png.38710f188ce5058192f69353cf1ad35f.png

like @MATTWOLVES says,it's been a fine week this week and i thoroughly enjoyed it

on a sad note,...my car engine packed up today with miss firing and smoke coming out of the exhaust and had to be towed to a garage,this is why i have not posted recently

Head gasket failure?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Quick comment on the 0z runs so far.  Clean evolution to cold in the reliable, but showing a tendency for the high to collapse into the UK quite soon after, leaving a narrow window for snow.  For sure there is potential afterwards, and I would suggest there will be a good month of weather coming often from the northeast quadrant, but of course it might be too late in the year for snow for many.  

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

nice looking ECM this morning easily the best output among the 0z models...looking for a reload from the northeast in the later frames

Any charts buddy?!!sorry just woke up!!still a good clean evolution for mid next week?!!

Posted
7 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Any charts buddy?!!sorry just woke up!!still a good clean evolution for mid next week?!!

hi sheikhy not sure how to post charts..but yes up to 168 looking especially good,with northeast flow dominating..a slight relax from the northwest.then by 240 a straight northerly

ECM1-144.gif

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
adding image
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

hi sheikhy not sure how to post charts..but yes up to 168 looking especially good,with northeast flow dominating..a slight relax from the northwest.then by 240 a straight northerly

Nice one mate!!Sounds very much like the ecm 12z from last night!!but also sounds very good❄❄!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

To me the cold has been downgraded this morning but there's (hopefully) the idea for a ridge to stay over us afterwards developing.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

To me the cold has been downgraded this morning but there's (hopefully) the idea for a ridge to stay over us afterwards developing.

i dont think the uppers have been downgraded too much,but i agree it doesnt look as good for somthing long lasting..but as it currently stands still pretty cold from thursday to sunday,with a snow risk!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

Yeah, all the GFS runs yesterday were cool throughout but the 00Z decides to collapse the high and bring us into a westerly flow. The next 5 days carry on with the same theme. Lots to look out for

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Yes defo downgrade in terms of length of snowy spell but its a lot cleaner earlier on and colder!!hopefully 12zs upgrade the length!!

true it was looking a week long cold spell,now currently more like 2/3 days..it can all change for the better though of course!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

UKV & NetWx showing a cold N/Ely by the end of next week with possible wintry showers pushing inland and some sharp overnight frosts.

viewimagenc.thumb.png.fbb5b7a80c903a05217f0e94d297fbd7.png1184708920_viewimage(42).thumb.png.2cebe34adcda1c92019e88702f40f0c4.png

• Like 5