Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
30 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

So much fuss for 36 hours of heat.

IN the poorer countries like India and Pakistan is everything shut down for weeks when its hot,you know the answer.

FWIW Pakistan and India DO have warning systems in place for strong heatwaves BEYOND what they are used to, which is basically the same system here. However their population is more used to the heat. 

Take note of this from the IMD:

a heat wave happens when the temperature of a place crosses 40oCin the plains, 37oCin coastal areas, and 30oC in the hills. The weather agency declares a heat wave when a place registers a temperature that is 4.5 to 6.4oCmore than the normal temperature for the region on that day. If the temperature is over 6.4oC more than the normal,the IMD declares a ‘severe’ heat wave. 

So they have clear guidelines of when a heatwave takes place (4.5-6.4c) above normal. Also note it is DIFFERENT depending on where you LIVE. Therefore it depends on how well your body is adapted to the heat.

The UK has a heatwave alert around 4c above normal, so perhaps a touch lower but not drastically so.

Also note that technically the IMD would declare a heatwave day even in the UK on Tuesday...

So yeah, if India thinks its good enough for a heatwave, who am I to argue?

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4

Posted

Could we honing in on a better outcome where we set two max records and one min and then lose the oppressive heat for Tuesday evening so we can get some sleep 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Calneee said:

Can you imagine calling for a ‘stay at home’ order to be issued prior to 2020? Begging the government to give you instructions on how to behave in weather? The level of damage done to some people’s psyche over the last couple of years is depressing 

Yes. Personally I think if after two years of lockdowns and restrictions as a way to "save the NHS" and it STILL can't cope, then it isn't fit for purpose and needs a massive overhaul. If people want such authoritative measures imposed, then perhaps they should move to somewhere like China? 

It should be up to each and every individual to take as much precautions as they see fit.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

I’d be interested to see the humidity during the highest temp of past years like 2003/2019 and humidity forecast for Monday/Tuesday. 

Humidity next week is forecast to be low so even if the temp reaches 40oC I wonder if it will feel lower than past record temps (assuming the humidity was higher then) 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Humidity next week is forecast to be low so even if the temp reaches 40oC I wonder if it will feel lower than past record temps (assuming the humidity was higher then) 

Low humidity will certainly make it more bearable!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Don said:

Aye, saw GFS was showing -1 dew points and 38 degrees!, just hoping it won't feel all that hot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, saw GFS was showing -1 dew points and 38 degrees!, just hoping it won't feel all that hot

In those conditions if you put ice cubes on the ground they'll sublimate straight to a gas, no melting between!

Not wishing to discount warnings but I think we'll be pleasantly surprised how manageable the heat will be. Standard precautions should suffice, being more mindful when working outdoors of course. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

A good 100+ mile shift East by the 12z UKMO compared to the 00z, but will still give many central and eastern areas opportunity to break the record, same with GFS. ICON is getting very close to moving it all before 3pm apart from a small corner on the East coast. We are just about at the limit of eastward correction before extreme temperatures are mostly removed from the UK by Tuesday pm.

This is good news. Personally, I don't think this is a thrilling weather anomaly that will be interesting to experience - I'm in fact very anxious about it. The sooner it clears off, the better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
15 minutes ago, Pat Butcher said:

This is good news. Personally, I don't think this is a thrilling weather anomaly that will be interesting to experience - I'm in fact very anxious about it. The sooner it clears off, the better.

Well to be “ quite FRANK” pat.. you need to black bag these extremes out.. And don’t av none of it.. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

4491DACC-AB10-4B4E-96D4-1C7C0A308E48.jpeg

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted

should be interesting in this heat on the weekend, I very rarely post on the model output page, but its looks a tad hot for my liking, but it looks like south wales will miss the brunt of the heat and storms

glad i'm on the water on my rowing instructors course with sea cadets this weekend 🙂

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
19 minutes ago, Decemberof2010 said:

34.4c officially in 1990. However unofficially I think the Uni station recorded 35c in July 2019. The word gobsmacked is used a lot and rightly so. But those temperatures getting this far North I just simply cannot put into words

That university temperature means nothing- it's not an official station. There are lots of non-official stations across the country including lots in urban areas that will have recorded much higher temperatures than the official stations.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

In those conditions if you put ice cubes on the ground they'll sublimate straight to a gas, no melting between!

Not wishing to discount warnings but I think we'll be pleasantly surprised how manageable the heat will be. Standard precautions should suffice, being more mindful when working outdoors of course. 

I think it works the same way with snow. In Canada in winter the snow melts without leaving any real water behind due to the low humidity (I think) 

Posted

We have had a few parents asking if school will be closed on Monday and Tuesday next week due to the red weather warning.

We will be fully open next week unless HCC direct us otherwise.

Please can parents make sure the children are wearing suntan cream, they have a full water bottle and a hat at school with them. It will be non-uniform again on Monday and Tuesday.

We will try to keep the children in the shade as much as possible when outside.

IDIOTS!!!!!

• Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, Don said:

On its Twitter space, Met Office said we’d see increasing humidity. Makes sense if storms are to roll in but they seemed to make a point of it being a factor along with the heat. 

A DP of 15c or so would probably add to the sticky feel even though that wouldn’t be such a high RH%. 

Posted
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

FWIW Pakistan and India DO have warning systems in place for strong heatwaves BEYOND what they are used to, which is basically the same system here. However their population is more used to the heat. 

Take note of this from the IMD:

So they have clear guidelines of when a heatwave takes place (4.5-6.4c) above normal. Also note it is DIFFERENT depending on where you LIVE. Therefore it depends on how well your body is adapted to the heat.

The UK has a heatwave alert around 4c above normal, so perhaps a touch lower but not drastically so.

Also note that technically the IMD would declare a heatwave day even in the UK on Tuesday...

So yeah, if India thinks its good enough for a heatwave, who am I to argue?

Yup, having lived in India it does have a system relative to its climate. Unfortunately excess deaths are common in summer months. 

Many the countries mentioned when people cite ‘so and so deal with it’ have warning systems in place. 

I mean it seems some are even offended because weather maps are red 😂.

I had a quick look and here in SE we’ve breached 35c in 5 out of the last 10 years (this spell included). And it has hit or passed 32c (magic 90f) 9/10. 37c plus has occurred in (what looks to be) 3/4 years since 2019. The worst I find, in last decade, was 2014 with just one 30c and that was the max! 

Is this similar outside this region? Not quite. 

So SE wise, mid 30s and definitely the low 30s isn’t really that unusual and probably the most prepared. Similarly with high night temps. But this isn’t just the SE although I’m not sure we’ll get past 38c here! But it’s parts that will never have seen even 35c (maybe even 90f) let alone what’s forecast! Not everyone has been abroad. So it’s a warning very relative. 

It’s simply a case of making people aware! 

Edited by hotsummer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Often going into school is safer. Water, food available, inside for main part of the day. If schools did close, older children are more likely to just head outside perhaps without sunscreen (although hooray for the bucket hat, in current fashion) and the water safety aspect of hot weather is an added nightmare. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Doubtful. Low humidity and high heat can bring  on dehydration. People may feel it’s ok but the false sense of security… it’s a hazard either way. 

I recall one summer in Dubai. Blazing hot with DP well into 20s. Went off into interior UAE. Stepped out the ac vehicle and my word, the dry heat I could instantly feel. It was like the skin tightened. Very peculiar. Now, we’re unlikely to get quite so hot, and so dry, but it still shows the effect…

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Another crap 100% cloudy day comes to an end.

Roll on the heat and sun.

Suspect most normal folk would happily swap with you for the next 4 days!!!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Suspect most normal folk would happily swap with you for the next 4 days!!!

I'm open to offers for anyone who enjoys weeks of this view.

20220715_190243.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

20220715_190243.jpg

No thanks, had enough of that last June/July frankly!

At least you should get decent sunshine from Sunday onwards!

• Like 1

Posted

The models this event sure have liked to make quite big moves every time the Met Office seems to put out a new warning 😅

Amber warning for Sunday, then the models pushed back the extremes of the heat to Mon-Tues

Red warning pushed today, while the models suddenly pull back on the widespread extreme heat on Tues.

Not to say these warnings aren't valid anymore (Tuesday still shows 40c+ in some models in the east), just a little bit coincidental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

20220715_190243.jpg

Looks perfect to me...

Posted

some of these predicted temps are a worry, especially the min night time, London at 28c midnight, never mind 40 to possible 42 in Leeds.

i have been in temps of 46c Southern Turkey its hot, so we retreated to to ice cold air con hotel for a few hours.

Egypt 48c same again just retreated to the hotel from 11am to 3pm sometimes 4pm. but in good old blighty I'm not sure we have too many air conditions places to retreat to.

took a bus to Nama Bay (air con) when we arrived at 9pm hit the streets oh boy 104f no where to hide, we were a party of 4 and 3 of us felt ill just strolling around, a bit nauseas so 

everyone please take care and we were well hydrated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1