Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted

There does seem to be a fairly strong signal for some rainfall even for the SE between Mon-Wed next week as pressure lowers and we develop what looks like a more mobile pattern again.

Before that point though we have the matter of probably a 5-7 day heatwave for some parts of CS/SW England. Models appear to be somewhat trending upwards for Fri-Sun period. ECM developing 34c (which likely translate to about 35-36c when accounting for large sunshine levels and under temp bias in such set-ups) and the GFS throwing out 35-36c as well.

This is still *exceptional* temperatures. Its somewhat less impressive after the monster heat shot in July, but remember that pre July 22 a 36.5c would get you well into the top 10 hottest days EVER, and such a temperature is certainly possible on the upper end of this set-up, as we saw pretty clearly in Aug 2020 which IMO looks fairly similar in many respects.

• Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, NTC said:

Why are you so aggressive it won't happen, you will not accept that it will  at some point come to an end. Why can't Mark say if he thinks it will end why do you have to be right Scorcher?

A lot of people agree with me as you can see from the response to my post. Of course there will be a breakdown at some point- I've never said otherwise. There is absolutely no certainty over it though- which is the point I've made very clearly. Misleading to suggest otherwise.

My opinion is based on more than just hope and conjecture- check out Mushy's post above.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted

Guys, I don't think anyone is being aggressive and no one should be. We all have our preferred weather but just like there are some in winter who see cold and snow when it isn't showing on the models, there are a few here who for the past few months have seen breakdown after breakdown where models aren't showing one.

I just went back to 23, 24 and 25 June so I won't be unfair but the posters who stand out anecdotally stated that models back then were showing an unsettled and cool pattern throughout the first two weeks of August, including rain in the S & E. The models didn't show that but they actually showed more rain than they are showing now until the end of their runs. For my location we apparently were due 15-30mm by 6 August. We had some drizzle and one 2 minute shower. You couldn't even see it on the hard, parched soil.

Of course sooner or later there will be a pattern change but it is is extremely unlikely to happen next week, just as it didn't two weeks ago or the many times before it was apparently going to turn unsettled.

Whatever causes the current pattern (a pattern that goes back to November last year, some short interruptions - for example Eunice - aside), it seems more or less stuck. Whether it's climate change or something else, I don't know but we it is what it is.

Edited by seb
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Important to be specific when talking of a breakdown. What is of? In this case a lengthy heatwave, by sometime Sun-Tue.

The troubling aspect for southern UK water reserves is that modelling generally indicates a traditional wettest north, driest south pattern to follow, as the Azores High remains close enough to keep extending across mainland Europe frequently while southern UK gets involved at times too.

By contrast the north may see quite a lot of rain, increasing the sense that we could do with a monumental emergency water transfer pipeline running from Scotland to England. If only!

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Singularity said:

Important to be specific when talking of a breakdown. What is of? In this case a lengthy heatwave, by sometime Sun-Tue.

The troubling aspect for southern UK water reserves is that modelling generally indicates a traditional wettest north, driest south pattern to follow, as the Azores High remains close enough to keep extending across mainland Europe frequently while southern UK gets involved at times too.

By contrast the north may see quite a lot of rain, increasing the sense that we could do with a monumental emergency water transfer pipeline running from Scotland to England. If only!

Yorkshire Water has a circular pipeline which can move water from any part of the region to a dry area ie Pennines to East coast, if they can have this system why can't we have a national pipeline? Surely it can't be that difficult for Yorkshire's system to connect to Trent and Trent connects to.... etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
8 minutes ago, Singularity said:

The Anomaly chart i posed suggests there might be a Southern Thundery element to the "breakdown" though.. like yesterdays 12zECM, never really cooling down far but with thundery showers mainly in the South.

• Like 5

Posted

As I see it will take the awakening of the hurricane systems to break this pattern as we have seen many times in years past. 

This year, the seas off Mauritania, the southern Western Sahara coast, Senegal and The Gambia have been 1-2°c lower than normal, at around 24-25°c with a small patch of 26°c off Senegal. Usually they will be at 26°c and above. 26°c is generally the sea surface temperature for tropical storm/hurricane development. 

We do now have a disturbance moving off that coast near Senegal which has a 40% chance of developing into a tropical system, but currently its a disorganised area of convection. 

Once we do start to see systems move off and start their long tracks into the Northern Atlantic then we will start to see our patterns change too. 

Many have spoken on how little energy the Atlantic has at the moment, as there is little energy being introduced by these systems right now, it results in what we see in our weather. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy rain/snow, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, seb said:

Guys, I don't think anyone is being aggressive and no one should be. We all have our preferred weather but just like there are some in winter who see cold and snow when it isn't showing on the models, there are a few here who for the past few months have seen breakdown after breakdown where models aren't showing one.

I just went back to 23, 24 and 25 June so I won't be unfair but the posters who stand out anecdotally stated that models back then were showing an unsettled and cool pattern throughout the first two weeks of August, including rain in the S & E. The models didn't show that but they actually showed more rain than they are showing now until the end of their runs. For my location we apparently were due 15-30mm by 6 August. We had some drizzle and one 2 minute shower. You couldn't even see it on the hard, parched soil.

Of course sooner or later there will be a pattern change but it is is extremely unlikely to happen next week, just as it didn't two weeks ago or the many times before it was apparently going to turn unsettled.

Whatever causes the current pattern (a pattern that goes back to November last year, some short interruptions - for example Eunice - aside), it seems more or less stuck. Whether it's climate change or something else, I don't know but we it is what it is.

i think personally it is climate change.  The north atlantic current has slowed, meaning i feel there is less effect of the gulf stream on our shores.  In short in my view this causes more blocked patterns.  Leading to wet/cold/hot/dry periods, without the strength of the atlantic in years past.

Im down in Norwich at the moment, everything is dust. Hard baked clay soil, ive never seen it so dry, aside 1976 when i was born, which i wouldnt remember lol.

Id welcome rain, but lets enjoy the sun a little. Mother nature will pay us back at some point. 

• Like 3

Posted

MO outlook pretty much reflects what the models are currently showing; Temperatures trending downwards after this week but staying very warm. Some rain in the north and thundery showers in the south. Then turning more settled again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ICON first out;

Hot/Very hot throughout the weekend

image.thumb.png.1ca010376e5f83872cc804cc7cb98901.png  image.thumb.png.96182db9c880dd57e9533a5252bb4972.png

Mid thirties in the south, high twenties or even 30c in the north.

Monday looks humid and increasingly showery.

image.thumb.png.59da858ba67d8327435831b08c7a1327.png
Still very warm or hot in any sunnier spells. The danger with thunderstorms of course is the risk of flash floods in places that are currently bone dry, the other being the increased risk of lightning being a fire hazard in the same locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I’ve also seen posted elsewhere that the strongly above average SSTs down to our SW may also be partly responsible for the continued above average heights in the mid lats this summer. Everything has been shunted further north than a normal year.

777C5952-25DF-4B4C-B52E-EE3D3948E4F9.thumb.jpeg.e44cc095bc221d4f7b06ffd6e8ebbb6e.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

MO outlook pretty much reflects what the models are currently showing; Temperatures trending downwards after this week but staying very warm. Some rain in the north and thundery showers in the south. Then turning more settled again.

Yep. Continued very warm, locally hot away from the NW. Possibly some showers or storms then back to more settled into September.

No breakdown.

GFS 12z rolling out as we speak. Let’s see what we get.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SnowBear said:

As I see it will take the awakening of the hurricane systems to break this pattern as we have seen many times in years past. 

This year, the seas off Mauritania, the southern Western Sahara coast, Senegal and The Gambia have been 1-2°c lower than normal, at around 24-25°c with a small patch of 26°c off Senegal. Usually they will be at 26°c and above. 26°c is generally the sea surface temperature for tropical storm/hurricane development. 

We do now have a disturbance moving off that coast near Senegal which has a 40% chance of developing into a tropical system, but currently its a disorganised area of convection. 

Once we do start to see systems move off and start their long tracks into the Northern Atlantic then we will start to see our patterns change too. 

Many have spoken on how little energy the Atlantic has at the moment, as there is little energy being introduced by these systems right now, it results in what we see in our weather. 

I generally agree, however the lack of hurricanes can't explain the weak jet stream since November last year. So something, somewhere is missing or has (temporarily?) changed.

Posted
2 minutes ago, seb said:

I generally agree, however the lack of hurricanes can't explain the weak jet stream since November last year. So something, somewhere is missing or has (temporarily?) changed.

We've had periods with weak jetstream in the past often coinciding with lengthy dry periods.. a notable one was March 95 to Apr 97, Dec 09 to Apr 12 despite a rather wet summer and second part 2011 brought a very weak jet. Coincidentally the last 2 very dry years occurred in these periods 1996, 2010. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Liquid said:

i think personally it is climate change.  The north atlantic current has slowed, meaning i feel there is less effect of the gulf stream on our shores.  In short in my view this causes more blocked patterns.  Leading to wet/cold/hot/dry periods, without the strength of the atlantic in years past.

Im down in Norwich at the moment, everything is dust. Hard baked clay soil, ive never seen it so dry, aside 1976 when i was born, which i wouldnt remember lol.

Id welcome rain, but lets enjoy the sun a little. Mother nature will pay us back at some point. 

Yes certainly noticeable we are seeing much less variety on a day to day basis.. I.e classic ridge / trough patterns alternating with one another. Blocked spells seem to last longer and recur.. likewise wet periods lock in for long periods... we have seen some very long wet periods very recently courtesy of wavy buckled jet patterns, I'm talking last 20 years. Mind we've had them centuries ago as well..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Very hot ukmo 12z up to 144 hours!probably hotter than gfs for friday and saturday!!

To me this look cooler? higher dew points maybe, but hopefully 30 degree heat gone

image.thumb.png.3a6296d3c970d026e9995dff0609cef1.png

• Like 3

Posted

GFS 12Z again maintains heat all the way until Monday.

If somewhere managed to squeeze a 30C today, that could mean 8 consecutive 30C plus days.

UKMO looking a bit more questionable by Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

To me this look cooler? higher dew points maybe, but hopefully 30 degree heat gone

image.thumb.png.3a6296d3c970d026e9995dff0609cef1.png

Problem is we dont know how much precipitation there is on that chart!one things for certain it will be very humid with 850s of +14 widely across the uk!gfs stays hot for england till tuesday next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The UKMO and GEM probably hang on to sunny spells and the heat on Sunday. The GEM (Which looks similar) has rain pushing into the south west later on Sunday. Monday looks ripe with cold air aloft and very warm air lower down, a long way to go but this clearly presents as the best chance for some decent thunderstorms for quite some time.
The GFS is slower, but with a more easterly element to the winds means that the temperatures are not quite as hot as the previous runs. Monday is still hot though because of these differences.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

The gfs has been quite persistent in keeping the heat until Monday, and mid 30s in the south at the weekend, wonder if the ECM will side with gfs this eve, wonder if ukm will extend the heat tomorrow, or vise verser the ecm follows ukm tonight and gfs follows suit tomorrow. 

Posted

GFS continues to suggest something more unsettled as we start next week.. until then a week of hot sunshine for many.. those who booked this week off for a holiday in the UK will be very happy.. those who booked next week may end up feeling very short changed! Luck of the draw when it comes to the school holidays period in the UK. The last 2 weeks and start of school holidays in Lake District have been largely quite poor or average at best. 

• Like 2