Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
48 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Getting a bit fed up of minimum temps in the high teens now. Cannot wait until the end of the week where lows dip into single figures, always a refreshing change!

Yes it would certainly make a change, when it is far more common these days for temps to be above average rather than below. I imagine it will be a bit of a shock to the system for some people though, particularly on the back of a very warm summer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

This is the worst day in a loooonnngg time.

Sure we had a lot of rain last week however there was plenty of sunshine too.

Today was partly clear at dawn then quickly downhill and persistent rain since just after 08.30 with hours more to come.

Dry and pleasant up here today.  However, it was the south to get the heavy rain, whilst better further north!

4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes it would certainly make a change, when it is far more common these days for temps to be above average rather than below. I imagine it will be a bit of a shock to the system for some people though, particularly on the back of a very warm summer.

Indeed, some chilly nights will be welcomed by me!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

13 days in, this is my least favourite September that i have experienced so far. Minimal sunshine, torrential rain almost every day and exceptionally dull. Horrific!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 hours ago, Freeze said:

Getting a bit fed up of minimum temps in the high teens now. Cannot wait until the end of the week where lows dip into single figures, always a refreshing change!

Dipped to 5C here this morning. Felt nice and Autumnal first thing. Temp quickly rose up though but 17C is fine in the sun no silly warmth lingering.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
58 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Dipped to 5C here this morning. Felt nice and Autumnal first thing. Temp quickly rose up though but 17C is fine in the sun no silly warmth lingering.

That sounds lovely, dipped to 17c here last night.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
10 hours ago, ThunderHellCat said:

I'm travelling on a train to the SE today and it's very rainy down here, after leaving a sunny Sheffield.

Strange that. Usually the opposite way around. Was actually a nice day here after a chilly start, reached 18C and was mostly sunny all day, had a nice evening walk in my t-shirt and shorts, was surprised to see it was raining in London on the news this evening. Looks like the south has had the opposite weather, warm but wet, with temperatures and rainfall well above average.

On 12/09/2022 at 00:29, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This September is shaping up to be far more interesting than last year's. I like a mixed September which is what this year is providing. 

We had some much needed rainfall last week, and this coming week will be providing us with some pleasant sunny days with cool (and hopefully) misty nights. Thankfully, temps are looking to be around average so it won't really be an extension of summer. 

Can’t speak for the rest of the country but I was on holiday in Scarborough from the 3rd till the 10th and the weather was quite summery, I missed a lot of the rain most of the country endured. So I got quite lucky with the weather.

On 12/09/2022 at 22:38, MP-R said:

It's been a while since we've had a cool anticyclonic spell in September. Most recent ones have been warm, and the cool/cold spells have been cyclonic. 

Yes, in recent years in September when it has been dry it has tended to be sunny and warm (eg most of Sep 2021) and when it has been wet it has tended to be cool (eg Sep 2017). This September has been unusual in that the first week was very wet but also warm (usually the first week of September is dry and warm), and now we are going into a dry but cool pattern. 

Would personally prefer it to be warm and dry or wet and cool, as warm and wet weather can be quite annoying and awkward to dress for, cool and dry is ok but probably not warm enough for summery clothes, so less opportunity for people to wear summery clothes in September this year - although after the summer we have had there has been plenty of opportunities for that.

13 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

A brief view of the model discussion had some people anxious that winterlike charts are appearing well too soon - well, at risk of exciting some people, many an interesting winter has seen little teasers in September. Gavin always looks out for interesting weather patterns around this time of year - I imagine he is doing so with much interest this year.

Question is do we really want a cold winter this year? With the soaring cost of fuel bills I think even the biggest snow fans would be concerned at the thought of a cold winter this year. It would be Sod’s law we get a really cold winter this year just at the worst possible time after a decade of mostly mild winters.

10 hours ago, MP-R said:

All tied in with my other pet hate... dullness. I hope this upcoming settled spell is sunny. September has been remarkably dull so far.

Can’t speak for my location as I’ve been on holiday in Scarborough from the 3rd to the 10th but while I was there I had lots of sunshine and not a lot of rain. Temps were mostly in the high teens. So typical September/late summer weather. It seems like the south has been warmer but also much wetter...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Yesterday was wet but was mild and cleared up in the evening to leave a cold and clear night with a low of 6.3°C, coldest night here in ages. Today reached 18.4C so quite a large durinial range, so when the suns out we can still get summer like temps during the day. But the grass was still wet well into the afternoon despite being mostly sunny, and the weaker sun and lower sun angle was quite noticeable today, believe it or not the sun is now only as powerful as it is in late March. I noticed a few leaves on the ground also, and due to the cold night the windows were all steamed up this morning, so indoor temps were pegged back into the high teens today, just a few signs that autumn is not far away. 

That said today was pleasant and I was comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt on my evening walk. September is probably my favourite month of the year for the weather, because the temperatures are very moderate, not much heat, not much cold, just comfortable conditions, the weather is often nice too - September is often a better month than August these days anyway. The sun still has a nice gentle warmth but is not feirce like in June and July. And it is still light until 7:30/8:00pm. Tbh I would be quite happy if we just had September weather all year round! A lot of weather enthusiasts seem to regard September as a boring and uninteresting period but I usually enjoy it. Only thing that spoils it is the knowledge that the warm weather will soon be over and the six months of darkness, wind and rain will soon be here.

The rest of the week looks to be bone dry with plenty of sunshine but temperatures rather cool, especially at night when it looks like we could get some ground frost - possibly air frost in rural locations. By the weekend daytime temperatures are only forecast to reach the low teens here, and nights only around 3 or 4 degrees, as winds turn northerly. So although the weather itself will be fine, and it will probably feel ok in any sunshine, it will be more like what you would expect on a late March day than a mid September one, cold early and late but quite pleasant during middle of the day.

At the moment it is clear and cold with a nice 3/4 moon. Currently 8.3°C with 89% humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I dislike Autumn... everythings dying down, vegetation is fading and despite the pretty colours its all about death. The damp misty morning air if tainted by damp decay. Theres nothing pleasant (for me) about darker evening/mornings, lowering sun, cooling off, dew, dew and more bloody dew... (i cut grass for a living). Theres little birdsong, butterflies are dying, flowers have finished, its nowt but a dreary dead time before winter kicks in.. i dont like the cold, but i prefer honest winter to messy smelly autumn.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
24 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

I dislike Autumn... everythings dying down, vegetation is fading and despite the pretty colours its all about death. The damp misty morning air if tainted by damp decay. Theres nothing pleasant (for me) about darker evening/mornings, lowering sun, cooling off, dew, dew and more bloody dew... (i cut grass for a living). Theres little birdsong, butterflies are dying, flowers have finished, its nowt but a dreary dead time before winter kicks in.. i dont like the cold, but i prefer honest winter to messy smelly autumn.

You and me both. Just have to grin and bear it, hope for plenty of nice days like today to get through it all, and wait for the clocks to go forward again in 6 months time. Went by in a flash last year, I'm sure this year will be no different!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

For me Autumn stands head and shoulders above all other seasons, the light levels, the distinct feel of calmness, the relief of the drop in temps, all these and more really make it my favourite season by a mile.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Still very muggy feeling today, hopefully it's all clearing south and tomorrow shall be brighter and fresher.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Absolutely stunning early autumnal sunshine over London right this afternoon, with the elongated shadows signalling that summer is well and truly over now.

Can't wait for the crisp, cool mornings and leaf fall 🍂

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally love all four seasons and think there is beauty to be seen in each one. A common misconception about winter is that nature is dead. That simply isn't true - it's just in hibernation, having a rest so to speak.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny
19 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I personally love all four seasons and think there is beauty to be seen in each one. A common misconception about winter is that nature is dead. That simply isn't true - it's just in hibernation, having a rest so to speak.  

I wish I could hibernate for 3 months to avoid winter.

• Like 2

Posted

I’m not complaining, but after leaving my uncle’s place last night at 10pm, I realised I should have packed my light jacket or jumper.

Felt cold walking back from the tube station. Was 15c in the evening, so definitely a noticeable drop in temp, and probably felt more like 13c.

Light jacket is on now, next phase will be a jumper under the light jacket. 

21 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I like the change of seasons,  but I sometimes wish our climate was more consistent.

A 2022 or 2018 summer doesn’t come round that often, and the same goes for a decent snowy spell.

We usually end up getting a dull damp winter, which always makes winter for me more depressing to get through.

Hoping for more cold sunny days like we had in winter 2020/21.

• Like 4

Posted
On 14/09/2022 at 12:06, markyo said:

For me Autumn stands head and shoulders above all other seasons, the light levels, the distinct feel of calmness, the relief of the drop in temps, all these and more really make it my favourite season by a mile.

You’ll have a smile on your face now until late March, or even mid April. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

I'd say it hasn't been too bad this September. I'm used to it being reliably dry, calm and warm but this year is notably different. It's felt quite tropical at times, even compared to summer with the humidity. Yesterday was a gorgeous day in the end and there have been a few other days like that too. Not quite ready to say goodbye to the warmth, though the upcoming slightly chillier/hopefully sunnier spell I'm looking forward to. One thing I love about this time of year is how the sun just has that real pleasantness to it. 

• Like 1

Posted

It actually feels like we're in the middle of September today with this cooler spell. As good as summer was, I am glad it didn't drag on into mid September as I believe there is a time and place for everything. I feel the same way about a cold winter dragging on into mid March.

I have been enjoying this September so far as it has been quite mixed. Far more interesting than last year's.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

You’ll have a smile on your face now until late March, or even mid April. 

After this knackering Summer to true i will!! Favourite two seasons coming up, after what has just passed i will be a very happy chappy!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Really struggling with the sun today after a very sunny second half of yesterday!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
6 hours ago, CongletonHeat said:

I wish I could hibernate for 3 months to avoid winter.

I'd certainly leave the UK for three months (starting on the Sunday the clocks go back) if I could!

I like the snow, but other countries get that better - it's the horrendously short days, the damp and the drizzle that's the problem.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, markyo said:

After this knackering Summer to true i will!! Favourite two seasons coming up, after what has just passed i will be a very happy chappy!

Time to hand over the baton once we hit September 21st, as this will be the period I really find difficult. Not so much the cold, but the lack of light always makes me feel depressed. I don’t suffer from SAD, but I always feel less motivated from this point until March 1st.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd certainly leave the UK for three months (starting on the Sunday the clocks go back) if I could!

I like the snow, but other countries get that better - it's the horrendously short days, the damp and the drizzle that's the problem.

Yeah I think if you leave around late October and return on the 1st of March.

Spend the late autumn and winter in Latvia, or somewhere else in Scandinavia, Austria or even Germany. Even a mild winter in those areas will guarantee a few days or even a week of snowfall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Time to hand over the baton once we hit September 21st, as this will be the period I really find difficult. Not so much the cold, but the lack of light always makes me feel depressed. I don’t suffer from SAD, but I always feel less motivated from this point until March 1st.

Sorry to hear that genuinely, i know what its like, Spring/Summer for me is my version of your Autumn/Winter, i have no energy, feel really down, its only at this time of year i start feeling "normal", the next six months are when i come alive.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sorry to hear that genuinely, i know what its like, Spring/Summer for me is my version of your Autumn/Winter, i have no energy, feel really down, its only at this time of year i start feeling "normal", the next six months are when i come alive.

Not sure what it is. My lack of energy now, is like a boost for you.

I felt ok until about a week ago, but waking up at 5am and leaving the flat while still dark around 6am was difficult. 

The change really does set in from mid September onwards. 

• Thanks 1