Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It was cold in winter 2020/21. Quite a few days just above 0c, and plenty of days in single digits. That warrants as cold for me.

It doesn’t have to be minus and snowing to qualify as cold for everyone.

I have to agree with markyo, awful winter. Nothing here resembling winter. Perpetual autumn. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
13 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

I have to agree with markyo, awful winter. Nothing here resembling winter. Perpetual autumn. 

You must have the wrong winter in mind, winter 20-21 was cold by recent standards, and from the midlands northwards had repeated bouts of snowfall throughout. Certainly not perpetual autumn. (Whatever that means)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
13 minutes ago, Freeze said:

You must have the wrong winter in mind, winter 20-21 was cold by recent standards, and from the midlands northwards had repeated bouts of snowfall throughout. Certainly not perpetual autumn. (Whatever that means)

There was nothing, and i honestly mean nothing, i travel trans Pennie most days, maybe 2 or 3 days with anything on the very tops. Shocking Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
32 minutes ago, Freeze said:

December 2.5 deg above my station average over last 30 years. January 0.7 above. February 1.8 above.  Not a snow flake.

Edited by Climate Man

Posted
58 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

Well it’s a matter of opinion. I think it was quite cold, and remember feeling quite cold at times. 

You would probably rate 2021 as a good summer, depending on where you were, but for me it was awful, with too much cloud and suppressed temperatures.

Ok, it wasn’t a classic 2008/09 to 2012/13 type winter or even on the same level as 2017/18, but it was still decent. The south could have done with more snow though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
49 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Didn't have any snow here, but 20/21 winter came in at 6°C which was below average. All three winter months were below average, too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Nothing wrong with 20-21 winter in this corner of the country and certainly better than the ones immediately before and since.

Not a white Christmas but snow arrived on Boxing Day and lasted until New Year.

further falls in February along with some strong bitter easterly winds and a fair bit of drifting then the week after a lovely and warm Easter, we had the heaviest fall of the winter.

however the main thing I remember though was the clear Alpine type skies, particularly over Christmas and during the April snow.

F29DE1F6-77B3-4A3F-9E75-82E760B5276F.jpeg

A80CA163-BD93-43B3-BB72-6BE67C9BB6B6.jpeg

BA68726D-4982-4145-81D3-B605EF5142D2.jpeg

FB89AA39-6E29-40FB-99E2-51D431B00E2A.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

For me, winter 2020/21 had a bit of everything. A mixture of cold sunny days as well as some mild ones and wet ones. We also had a snowfall or two in places. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, markyo said:

We didn't have a winter 2020/21! Nothing at all cold wise occurred. Last proper Winter spell was 2018, the last proper Winter was 2009/10.

49 minutes ago, markyo said:

There was nothing, and i honestly mean nothing, i travel trans Pennie most days, maybe 2 or 3 days with anything on the very tops. Shocking Winter.

35 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

December 2.5 deg above my station average over last 30 years. January 0.7 above. February 1.8 above.  Not a snow flake.

Must have been different in Sheffield and the midlands then. 

Here in East Lancs I remember it being cold and snowy in early December, and then from around Christmas Day there was snow on the ground for two weeks, it never got mild enough for it to melt during that period. The first week of February was also cold, before it turned very mild for the rest of the month.

So I definitely consider it to be a cold winter here, it definitely felt cold, especially after the previous “polar vortex of doom winter” which Gavin Partridge likes to call it.

Im personally hoping for a winter like 15/16 or 19/20 this year, to help with the high energy bills and to top up the reservoirs after a dry summer.

I love the wind storms that mild and wet winters bring also, something which the last two winters have been lacking. Although in a mild and wet winter, even when it’s 10-13C it often doesn’t feel it due to cold winds and dampness, always makes it feel much colder I find.

My favourite winter (and autumn) in recent years is 2018/19. Nice mild October, November and December and an exceptionally warm and sunny February. The only month that felt remotely wintery during that wintery was January.

From a snowy perspective my favourite winter was 09/10 and also the beast from the east on 1st March 2018, when we had windchills of -10°C, I’ll never forget how cold that day was.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

January 2021 was the coldest January since 2010 across Scotland IIRC, and even February 2021 wasn't as mild up north I think, so perhaps in terms of snowfall it was hit and miss in different areas, but it seemed to be a decent winter up north. Down here it was very wet in Decemeber and January, and fairly cold throughout - particularly January. First half of February 2021 gave 4-5 days of lying snowfall and sub-zero maxima but then deteriorated in the second half.

Not particularly on topic though is it? Perhaps a thread of winter 2021 in the historic thread would be more appropriate.

Back to the moment, loving this second-half to September so far. It's switched from summer to autumn very quickly and last few nights feel so crisp. You can smell autumn and dare I even say that Christmasy vibe coming on.

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Nothing wrong with 20-21 winter in this corner of the country and certainly better than the ones immediately before and since.

Not a white Christmas but snow arrived on Boxing Day and lasted until New Year.

further falls in February along with some strong bitter easterly winds and a fair bit of drifting then the week after a lovely and warm Easter, we had the heaviest fall of the winter.

however the main thing I remember though was the clear Alpine type skies, particularly over Christmas and during the April snow.

F29DE1F6-77B3-4A3F-9E75-82E760B5276F.jpeg

A80CA163-BD93-43B3-BB72-6BE67C9BB6B6.jpeg

BA68726D-4982-4145-81D3-B605EF5142D2.jpeg

FB89AA39-6E29-40FB-99E2-51D431B00E2A.jpeg

Yes, I remember Christmas 2020 being bitter cold and dry with sunny spells. Think it was only 3-4c in London during the day. That was certainly the coldest Christmas period since 2010. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

the past 2 winters have been awful.  Last winter we didn't have a single snowflake in Warwickshire, but it did snow in november as a bit of a p**s take.

The winter before just had a couple triple-M snowfalls (Melts Mid Morning) which are no use whatsoever

Posted
20 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Must have been different in Sheffield and the midlands then. 

Here in East Lancs I remember it being cold and snowy in early December, and then from around Christmas Day there was snow on the ground for two weeks, it never got mild enough for it to melt during that period. The first week of February was also cold, before it turned very mild for the rest of the month.

So I definitely consider it to be a cold winter here, it definitely felt cold, especially after the previous “polar vortex of doom winter” which Gavin Partridge likes to call it.

Im personally hoping for a winter like 15/16 or 19/20 this year, to help with the high energy bills and to top up the reservoirs after a dry summer.

I love the wind storms that mild and wet winters bring also, something which the last two winters have been lacking. Although in a mild and wet winter, even when it’s 10-13C it often doesn’t feel it due to cold winds and dampness, always makes it feel much colder I find.

My favourite winter (and autumn) in recent years is 2018/19. Nice mild October, November and December and an exceptionally warm and sunny February. The only month that felt remotely wintery during that wintery was January.

From a snowy perspective my favourite winter was 09/10 and also the beast from the east on 1st March 2018, when we had windchills of -10°C, I’ll never forget how cold that day was.

Yeah I remember how cold it felt on March 1st 2018. I was walking across Hyde Park, and it was covered in thick snow with a windchill of -9c and a daytime high of -1 to -2c. It really was cold.

It was difficult to walk across the open park while the wind was blowing. Felt like a snowman by the time I reached Lancaster Gate to jump on the Central Line. I was glad of the warmth of the tube train that day, but struggled to warm up.

19 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

January 2021 was the coldest January since 2010 across Scotland IIRC, and even February 2021 wasn't as mild up north I think, so perhaps in terms of snowfall it was hit and miss in different areas, but it seemed to be a decent winter up north. Down here it was very wet in Decemeber and January, and fairly cold throughout - particularly January. First half of February 2021 gave 4-5 days of lying snowfall and sub-zero maxima but then deteriorated in the second half.

Not particularly on topic though is it? Perhaps a thread of winter 2021 in the historic thread would be more appropriate.

Back to the moment, loving this second-half to September so far. It's switched from summer to autumn very quickly and last few nights feel so crisp. You can smell autumn and dare I even say that Christmasy vibe coming on.

Maybe a memories of 2020 would qualify?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Springs/Summers, Chilly Autumns , Cold Winters

Winter is much better when it's colder, more chance of snow and it feels more seasonal. I just don't understand how people like mild winters, to me there's nothing appealing about them.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
1 hour ago, Climate Man said:

You sure that's not 2021-22... I don't see anybody here that said the winter just gone was cold..

2020-21 was cold in the north, average elsewhere. Simple as.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

My calandar says autumn starts on 23rd September - rather late it seems, usually the 21st or 22nd if basing on the equinox. Models are showing a cold northerly flow setting in apt timing.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Autumn yes, but the idea of Christmas is still not on my mind. I don’t start thinking about it until at least late October, usually when the first adverts start to appear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Coldilocks said:

Winter is much better when it's colder, more chance of snow and it feels more seasonal. I just don't understand how people like mild winters, to me there's nothing appealing about them.

Yeah, that’s why I don’t always look forward to winter in this country if it stays mild. Mild can usually feel just as cold and more unpleasant due to the dampness and frequent rain and windy days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Suprised to hear you say that in Sheffield. I'm in Leeds and the winter of 21 was the snowiest since 2013. Between Christmas and mid Feb snow fell (even if never especially deep) on about ten different days and at my parents (close to 200m), lay for nearly a week.

I guess I just assumed most places outside the far south were the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Already tired of this weather already lol. Those constant grey skies 🤮 

I actually don't mind too much if its freezing cold this winter if we get lots of cold and crisp sunny days. I just cannot stand this grey dullness!

• Like 3

Posted
20 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

You sure that's not 2021-22... I don't see anybody here that said the winter just gone was cold..

Yes sounds much more like winter 2021/22 than 2020/21!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
20 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

Yes last winter was absolutely rubbish here. Just one brief dusting, certainly up there with the worst ever. The only thing that saved it was 4 inches of snow that fell one day at the back end of November last year but of course that wasn't Winter. 2020-21 however was far better round here, we had about 6 separate snow coverings albeit nothing all that heavy. But still a much better attempt than last winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
22 hours ago, markyo said:

I think you have got the wrong winter. I live just outside Rotherham which is only a few miles from Sheffield and not at any altitude to speak of and we had around 2 - 3 weeks of lying snow (not consecutively) over the course of winter 2020/21. However, the previous winter was terrible. 

Edited by Premier Neige
  • Like 2